Injection system failure light (3 Viewers)

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, I'm a newbie and sorry I haven't introduced myself yet but we've got a problem.
We bought our 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.2 100 multijet based Swift Sundance 580PR in July. We left home today and noticed that the injection system failure light was on. I phoned our dealer and was told to take it in to be checked out.
My other half has read something about unplugging the ECU and plugging it back in - does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks in advance.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Our MH has the same engine. We learned from a Fiat agent, earlier this year, if the injection failure light comes on stop and start the engine four times, because there may not be a permanent problem. We had stalled ours earlier in the day and that, apparently, had caused the fault indication.
Hope yours is as simple an issue.

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your reply.
We've taken the van back to our storage farm as we're doing some building work at the house and there's no room for it at the moment on the drive.
I read that dirty fuel might cause it and that could have been the problem as it was ok until we put fuel in yesterday - so he put some diesel injector cleaner in and run it for a few miles to the farm. We'll take it out tomorrow and hopefully that will have helped, fingers crossed.

We only bought it end of July and haven't had chance to go anywhere yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
This light can be brought on by all kinds of things....the wiring to the injector will cause this problem....mine has been on for ages now but the van shows no signs of problems....do an internet search for ducato engine warning light and have a read...

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
dont forget....any warning lights on the dash which shouldnt normally be on is an MOT fail.

According to my test last week it only concerns certain warning lights....eg airbag etc...not engine...

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Red Light

Most good independant garages will have a diagnostics machine. They won't spank you like a main stealer and you usually won't need an appointment.
Their machine (usually Snap-On) will normally pin-point the problem and they can fix it cheaper than a main stealer as well!
You can spend more money trying a fix than paying out for a diagnostic test.

I bought my MH private (2.8, 2005 Ducato) Red light came on over 2800rpm.
Diagnostics revealed turbo boost problem which translated as stuck spindle on waste gate. Fixed in 1 minute !! Vehicle had stood for several months near to the coast and spindle had seized.

Good luck

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just googled engine warning light and there's a lot, isn't there!
Hopefully ours will be alright when we check it tomorrow, we're hoping to get away in a few days time. Also want to go to the motorhome show next weekend.
Thank you all for your replies.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the same light came on in my car a few weeks ago.

it went into 'limp' mode....50mph max with foot to floor and erratic gear changes (automatic box)

because of many known electronic problems with the Chrysler 300C i carry an OBD II diagnostic tool in the back.

plugged it in and read the code, which indicated throttle control valve (the light doesnt mean injector fault, it means a fuel related fault).
cleared the fault code and the car's run fine ever since.

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
Our MH has the same engine. We learned from a Fiat agent, earlier this year, if the injection failure light comes on stop and start the engine four times, because there may not be a permanent problem. We had stalled ours earlier in the day and that, apparently, had caused the fault indication.
Hope yours is as simple an issue.
hello there we have got i fiat ducato2.8 what they found was a wire broken under the engine that seamed to cure it wish you luck marjohn:Smile::Smile:

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
the same light came on in my car a few weeks ago.

it went into 'limp' mode....50mph max with foot to floor and erratic gear changes (automatic box)

because of many known electronic problems with the Chrysler 300C i carry an OBD II diagnostic tool in the back.

plugged it in and read the code, which indicated throttle control valve (the light doesnt mean injector fault, it means a fuel related fault).
cleared the fault code and the car's run fine ever since.
hello there how much is obd11 diagnostic tool cost many thanks marjohn:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just wondering, does anyone know where the ECU is on a 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.2. other half still wants to try unplugging then replugging it.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Any funsters in Cornwall, or visiting are welcome to pop round for diagnostics. On the basis that you come to me, it will be free!:thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just wondering, does anyone know where the ECU is on a 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.2. other half still wants to try unplugging then replugging it.

It would be better to disconnect the battery and leave the lead off for 10 minutes. Just the negative lead will do, which is always first and last to prevent shorting the battery to ground

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We've tried stop and start, hasn't made any difference, light's still on.
We're insured with Safeguard and got AA cover so I've just phoned them and they're coming out to check it.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It could be the injector loom being too short, which did plague that age. They susually extend it, it may be the problem - nothing wrong with asking the AA man to push it on a bit harder and see if it puts the light out. It may be something more serious - but worth a try.

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just did as you said, Larby, and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and it worked. Thank you for that. I phoned the AA and cancelled so they didn't have a wasted trip.
Thank you all for your help.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the light comes back on again, get it checked as ignoring a fault could lead to more damage being caused.

i too have an obd2 code reader which only cost ÂŁ15 to reset fault codes and service indicator. however any code that comes back immediately indicates there really is a fault present

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just did as you said, Larby, and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and it worked. Thank you for that. I phoned the AA and cancelled so they didn't have a wasted trip.

Glad it worked. I am as chuffed as you !:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

cant really see unplugging the ecu or disconnecting the battery will have any effect.

the fault code is written to memory...basically the same memory as your computer and unplugging the PC doesnt delete the memory.

only real and sure way is a diagnostic tool to erase the fault code and reset the warning light.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hello there how much is obd11 diagnostic tool cost many thanks marjohn:Smile::Smile:

readily available on eBay and Amazon for ÂŁ20 upwards.

mine was ÂŁ30 from amazon.

looks complicated but very easy to use.

cheap ones dont turn off oil service lights or diagnose chassis/auto gearbox faults but will find and clear faultcodes on the engine.

service light and chassis code readers usually cost many hundreds of pounds

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

the light may have gone out, but the faultcode is still in memory.

really not advisable to ignore the code, even if you dont act on it...could be an indication of an imminent componant failure

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
the light may have gone out, but the faultcode is still in memory.

really not advisable to ignore the code, even if you dont act on it...could be an indication of an imminent componant failure

I couldn't agree more. I was so pleased that you had turned the light out that I failed to say, what caused it to come on?

It's like when a fuse blows, replacing it isn't the answer, it's the question of why did it blow in the first place?

The code will as Pappajohn says, strill be there in the memory. Get it read, my son reads the codes then prints them out. He gives the copy to the customer for future reference.

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks both.
I agree, I'm going to get a diagnostics scanner just to check and also keep an eye out for it happening again. Spoke to the service manager where I bought it from and he said to look out for it too.
Many thanks to Pappajohn and Larby for your help.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We went out for our second outing on Monday and again, the warning light came on. So, as we've got AA cover we had a call out en route.
The result is a blocked/dirty EGR valve so we took it to the dealers, gave them the AA report and they've ordered a new valve for us. Apparently they can't be cleaned out and have to be replaced - not what the AA man told us - but at least we know now what the problem is.
Thanks once again for all your advice, I know where to come now if we need any help.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
We went out for our second outing on Monday and again, the warning light came on. So, as we've got AA cover we had a call out en route.
The result is a blocked/dirty EGR valve so we took it to the dealers, gave them the AA report and they've ordered a new valve for us. Apparently they can't be cleaned out and have to be replaced - not what the AA man told us - but at least we know now what the problem is.
Thanks once again for all your advice, I know where to come now if we need any help.

The following is a post on the Fiat forum - don't know if it works though!:whatthe:

Re: 2007 Ducato EGR Valve Location
The easy way out is to throw a bottle of Redex in to a full tank and he presto! the light goes out in about 2 miles!!

Mike

OP
OP
C

carken

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Cwmbran
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We tried that but it didn't work for us - thought we'd give it a go when the manual said it was an injector problem but anyway, our dealer is getting it sorted for us now. Thanks for the info.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back