Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Both my wife and I have iPads. She has the iPad 4 and I have the iPad Mini. They have mane good points but the biggest negative is additional storage. I bought a wifi storage device from Maplins this week (item no. A23LJ). With it I can use SD cards or USB pen drives for additional storage. We have 32 films on one pen drive which I had copied (for security purposes) from my own cd's, used Handbrake to down sample them and we can now both watch different films at the same time in the van.
A very good product which also works with my Android phone.
Hope this is useful to someone.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
But can you then connect that to the Ipad?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If as described then it sounds ok, I will have a look when next in Maplin.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
But can you then connect that to the Ipad?

It's a wifi device. Plug your USB memory stick into it and then it becomes accessible over a wifi link (to any device which has wifi).

They also have a deal on a battery powered wifi hard disc ( Link Removed ) at the moment which is also a useful (if little pricey) bit of kit.

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Youtube vid
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQOA9kfkL8"]Wi-Reader App intro - YouTube[/ame]
Also available a little cheaper with free delivery from Broken Link Removed

Seems like a cheap-ish and relatively easy solution, especially if you want to make files available on a mix of devices Apple, Android, Blackberry etc.

As I run a jailbroken iPAD I use a £6 camera connection kit and an app called [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEOWO0ewRZI"]iFile[/ame] to access files on SD card. This is a cheaper, more convenient and flexible way of doing the same thing on an Apple device but you need to be tech savvy.

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I forgot to mention. It also worked with a bus powered 500gb Western Digital disc drive.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Steady now, the 'anti Apple brigade' will come after you :winky:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I use Cloudftp. Great piece of kit. You plug a usb device into it and then connect to Ipad by wifi.

You can swap files between devices no problem at all. Watch movies from the USB drive or anything else you have on it.

Connect your Ipad to the HDMI port on your tv and Bob's your Uncle. Great on long trips away. :thumb:

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
I also note that sandisk have a new WiFi enabled USB stick range.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Bought one of these today and have to say that it works very well indeed. Took all of 3mins to set up and it streams data across perfectly. Easy to charge up via USB and now I just need to load some videos onto the USB stick.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, will suit us perfectly.

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Bought one of these today and have to say that it works very well indeed. Took all of 3mins to set up and it streams data across perfectly. Easy to charge up via USB and now I just need to load some videos onto the USB stick.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, will suit us perfectly.

As I said in my original post I use "Handbrake" to down sample my videos to a manageable length. The average DVD film will end up at about 1Gb plus or minus a few mb. Really easy to use and being open source works on most systems. Enjoy.

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Quite right...

I had to go to all the trouble of sliding a micro data card into the slot provided in my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phablet to add 64 gigs of additional storage...

JJ :Cool:

Sorry JJ you are missing the point. With this device I can share files with my laptop, Mac, iPad and Galaxy phone, plus of course my wife's HTC phone, her laptop and iPad. Not all at the same time but quite a few of them. One lot of storage for all. Saves money to buy more FB pies. :cool: :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back