Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
...I expect there are several topics on this one already, but...

...I went down to the Cotswolds this weekend, a round trip of about 250 miles.
Why is it that the majority of other camper van/caravanette drivers/occupants insist on waving at you?

I probably have very little in common with these people, other than I have a very ugly vehicle with all of the aerodynamic qualities of a brick, fortunately I can do the 4 S`s in it.

I find it a little weird and a bit sad if I am honest.
I also ride a motorcycle and have done for 30+ years and the same thing also happens, as it does if I am driving my PT cruiser (woeful vehicle that is)

I don`t know these people, they could be paedophiles for all I know, so don`t really want to wave at them......All seems a bit false to be honest.

So, is it just because we drive similar ugly looking vehicles??

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Ive had a few waves in the van and do try and give a wave or nod in return. I used to be into old Fords so used to always get waves from randoms so guess its just people out on the road with a shared interest.

The worst was the "landy wave" Landrover owners love a wave at strangers :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so don`t really want to wave at them......All seems a bit false to be honest.

Ooooh!!!! you gonna be popular. :Doh:

to the waver who doesnt get a returned wave you could be called arrogant, dick head, snob, pillock, blind or any number of expletives. :RollEyes:

of course, you wont hear any of the comments but they are there. :roflmto:

its an age old ritual probably started by VW combo drivers in the 70's

its a sign of recognition and approval by like minded folks with a common interest....motorhomes !.

remind me not to waste energy giving you a wave if i see you. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Why is it that the majority of other camper van/caravanette drivers/occupants insist on waving at you?

I probably have very little in common with these people, other than I have a very ugly vehicle with all of the aerodynamic qualities of a brick, fortunately I can do the 4 S`s in it.

I also ride a motorcycle and have done for 30+ years and the same thing also happens, as it does if I am driving my PT cruiser (woeful vehicle that is)

I don`t know these people, they could be paedophiles for all I know, so don`t really want to wave at them......All seems a bit false to be honest.

:reel::reel:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Simple - they are just acknowledging a like minded person, i.e someone who likes motorhomes/motorbikes. What is so difficult to understand about that. Personally I love it. I would call myself a motorhome owner/enthusiast, a cyclist, a ex-motorcyclist and a runner. I aknowlege all of these people when I pass them whilst partaking of the same pastime, except the motorcyclist as they would think I was just plain wiered. I no longer have one. More recently I have taken up canoeing, I acknowledge anyone I pass on the river, be it fisherman rower or boater, whatever.

I am amazed you do not understand this trait in the human race.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I waved at an "Eddy Stobart" lorry driver yesterday..:thumb:

Bugger never waved back... :Sad::winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
basic psychology and courtesy is the answer you seem to be lacking an understanding of. thinking another person may be a paedophile or similar just because they acknowledge what they see as a fellow motorhomer/biker/whatever says more about you and your mindset than theirs

why join a friendly club then ignore or think all other members weirdos?

the motorhome lifestyle is more than choosing to drive what you see as an ugly vehicle, its about getting out there an meeting other like minded individuals or couples. its a way of life and most owners love their "ugly" vans. being noticed and recognised is all part of it, whether in the uk or abroad. you either fit in or you dont, the choice is yours. many would consider you rude or ignorant for not returning the friendly gesture of a wave

but then again you were only joking and trolling for a bite werent you??

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
It's strange isn't it

Funny really. I'm a waver. When I see a Moho coming towards me I wave. When out walking the dogs I say hello to fellow dog walkers. When walking up my street I say hello ,good morning etc to passers by as they are neighbours or visiting neighbours. Nice to appear welcoming and friendly. It's great to wave and receive a wave back. I can also say that if I saw a fellow motorhomer broken down at the side of the road we would stop and see if we could help.:thumb: not everyone's view but I like to be helpful and think of others and not be selfish in life. Everyone to their own though. I give a wave and expect nothing in return. If the wave is returned though it dose raise a smile. No cost too anyone but a smile created. Wow . Something for nothing. Doesn't happen often these days

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
so don`t really want to wave at them......All seems a bit false to be honest.

Ooooh!!!! you gonna be popular. :Doh:

to the waver who doesnt get a returned wave you could be called arrogant, dick head, snob, pillock, blind or any number of expletives. :RollEyes:

of course, you wont hear any of the comments but they are there. :roflmto:

its an age old ritual probably started by VW combo drivers in the 70's

its a sign of recognition and approval by like minded folks with a common interest....motorhomes !.

remind me not to waste energy giving you a wave if i see you. :RollEyes:

I'm with you Pappa-John.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i noticed its the old codgers that wave,and i thought it them telling us to move over a bit as they [STRIKE]need[/STRIKE] want all the road:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Someone here has the wrong attitude!
waving.gif

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I see it as acknowledeging the fact you are proud to be part of a unique group of people. My parents bought a Fiat many, many years ago, when the roads were full of English cars. They never stopped waving at other proud Fiat owners.

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
I'm a Waver and proud of it, Me and The Missus get the hump when we are left hanging with no return wave.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We drove down to Nottingham yesterday to change the van, we were driving down the A1 and waved to all the MHs we saw, I even got carried away and waved to a horsebox before I realised what it was:Blush:

Margaret:roflmto:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We drove down to Nottingham yesterday to change the van, we were driving down the A1 and waved to all the MHs we saw, I even got carried away and waved to a horsebox before I realised what it was:Blush:

Margaret:roflmto:

This is the ATTitude that I like. I am always disappointed if I don't get a wave back.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I must admit, I am a waver
It started when I had a beetle and T2 camper, when I drove a 2cv ( although this was usually a mutual acknowledgement of pity) and carried on with motorbikes and a Mitsubishi Pajero.
A couple of weeks ago, I was multiple waved at from a French reg MH ( in France) The driver, passenger and someone leaning over from the back all waved so much, I thought they must have known me.
It's just a bit of fun
Allan

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are big wavers.

If a wave isn't returned I use a different hand signal after the other van has gone past.

They don't see my signal but it cheers me up::bigsmile:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We are big wavers.

If a wave isn't returned I use a different hand signal after the other van has gone past.

They don't see my signal but it cheers me up::bigsmile:

You're not the only one using the second signal:whistle::whistle:

Frankie:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back