LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I am absolutely no David Bailey. Point and shoot would suit me fine. I have a Panasonic FZ8 which takes very good photos. However when I wanted to post some photos of Malvern I had a problem getting them down to the required size to post on the forum. I ended up cropping the photos and then reducing them. As my camera has settings from 7m down to 0.3m is there a setting that would give reasonable quality for downsizing to fit on the forum. Hope this makes sense. Graham
:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I use an Olympus EP1, and have found that on most forums if I use the lowest resolution settings such as Low ( amongst others and raw I have a basic High,Medium,Normal and Low settings) if you have one the camera then I don't have to crop or reduce picture sizes, if I do need to I tend to upload to photobucket and edit there down to 595 x 595 pixels this size normally suits most forums

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I take my pictures at the highest resolution I can. I then have a decent picture for my own use.

For posting on forums or websites I crop the image to reduce its physical size, maximising the area that actually has content of interest.

I then scale the image to the size needed for the forum or website in question.

crop then scale is the way to do it. If you scale first you are scaling unwanted areas and then when you crop you lose detail in the wanted areas.

I use GIMP to do this (Gnu Image Manipulation Program). It is a crap name but an excellent bit of software and is free.
http://www.gimp.org/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have a Canon EOS 350D digital SLR which used on auto gives good pics and a Canon powershot A2400IS pocket camera.

for the forum i use 'powertoys for windows picture resizer'

size set to large, i have no problem resizing the avarage 2Mb pics down to around 90Kb with just one click.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Most people use a screen resolution of 1024 pixels wide.

If you allow for website borders, ad panels, and all the rest, an image about 800 pixels wide is usually enough for screen display.

As others have said - take them at the highest available resolution then re-size them using software.

Also, uploading images at no more than 800 pixels wide discourages others from making illicit use of them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had a problem getting them down to the required size
:thumb:

Dead easy with this program.

Control R to resize to 1000 x whatever.

Then S to save and tick MAX 100K to compress to a nice fast 100KB.

Done.

One of the All Time great programs....

http://www.irfanview.com/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back