Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
don't know where im going wrong then, just got a quote from comfort for my van...£410. iv had no claims,no covictions, full clean licence since the year dot! no accidents NOTHING! so why is mine twice the amount of yours? :Angry::Angry: its only a 2007 autocruise stardream, nothing special,just don't get it !!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
don't know where im going wrong then, just got a quote from comfort for my van...£410. iv had no claims,no covictions, full clean licence since the year dot! no accidents NOTHING! [HI]so why is mine twice the amount of yours[/HI]? :Angry::Angry: its only a 2007 autocruise stardream, nothing special,just don't get it !!

Location ? Postcode area can affect
I paid £258.74 for 3.8 tonne Kontiki 2.8 JTD with Comfort and a declaration of a claim on a company car 3 years earlier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
I live in Sutton Coldfield west mids. not considered to be the crime hot spot of the country, I know quotes vary with post codes, so you lot must live in some right posh areas !::bigsmile: so are there any nice houses for sale in your area so I can move and cut my van insurance in HALF???:winky::winky:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Insured ours on Friday costing £399 ...we was with frank pickles but changed to AXA:Smile:

OP
OP
duane0001

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Whats the comparison to year 1 Duane? Did you insure with Comfort last year?

No
First year was with Frank Pickles, this year came out at £248 which is same as last year.
I am now with Comfort £214 and I am getting more in the deal including legal expenses :thumb:
I am 39 with my 44 year old wife on the policy so I reckon its pretty cheap for 24 odd grand worth of MH

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
occupation and driving licences held do help or hinder insurance too. sometimes it pays to be retired, sometimes it doesn't. where the motorhome is kept and any security devices also affect the risk level

not a motorhome, but a caravan. a few years back we had to move the caravan into storage. the premium was cheaper although in our view was less secure not being on the drive so we could see and check it daily. the principle is the same though. the computer works out the risk based on all the variables and claims made by others with those circumstances

it may not make sense to you that the same van will attract more or less cost in insurance than for others. however its all a calculated gamble by the insurers

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
I know we cant all pay the same for insurance. just cant see why there are such vast differences in premiums between companies given the same set of personal details and providing the same level of cover more or less. same as I cant understand how a bloody great big yanky R.V . with tag axles, slide outs, and is thirty odd foot long gets a road tax disc for £98 . and mine costs £200 + and is half the size and half the weight:Angry::Angry:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I am with HIC I paid £166.58 +£30 renewel fee I have free legal expenses and I paid an extra £15 against any uninsured drivers if they are in an accident with me, this makes a total of £211.58 I also have an agreed sum on the value of my MH,I have everything covered on this policy, I am well pleased with this. I renewed it 2 weeks ago. ::bigsmile:

My vehicle tax is £280 I believe a lot are a lot less than that, can anyone tell me what is the vehicle tax on an Auto-sleeper Gatcombe please?, slightly off topic, sorry.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Saga qoute £169.25 comprehensive with wife on policy, £250 Excess, limited mileage to under 5000 per year. 1995 Hymer 2.5 TD, L/H drive. this includes £27.00 legal protection.
renewal qoute from Churchill £174.58.
as have access to other vehicles x2 cars SAGA have given discount on this.

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
we just paid comfort £298 including full RAC cover at home and abroad have used comfort for the last 8 years and they have been brilliant as has the RAC .broke down at york a few years ago they arranged for us to be brought home on a low loader after the show, and had a gear linkage problem in france they arranged everything and paid for most of it when we returned home comfort helped us sort both and rang us constantly to make sure we were happy and how things were going cant praise them enough.
really dont no why yours is so much moor i would ring and ask them.:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Ours is due at the end of the month, I will ring around as usual but expect we will be going with Comfort as a trip to Morocco is on the cards and with Comfort Morocco is covered without any problem.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We insure ours with safegaurd can't remember the exact price was around the £270 which includes 365 days European breakdown cover. I don't live in a posh area :ROFLMAO: just Dumfries, I do have a cobra cat 1 alarm fitted and mh is parked on my drive.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have safeguard, it was about £300, we think it was worth every penny as the AA man in his yellow van has just visited us on a campsite in France and repaired the van on the spot, hopefully it will be ok til we get home, the sliding door on the autosleeper would not close or stay open for that matter so a bit draughty to say the least. Thankyou Martin from Liverpool, apparently there are teams of them here from June til September . Campsite is Aux Coeurs vendeens near St Jean de Monts, very nice too.:Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back