Pedro T

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We are caravaners at present and have run a Lunar clubman 475/2ck for 7 years now and may go to a motorhome next time we change. Pretty sure we would want a 2-berth and not too big (for all the usual reasons) Coachbuilt seem to look better to my eye, what do you experts recommend. Would probs go for a couple of years old!

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
It's all about your preferred interior layout. Before you start worrying about the type or shape of the van go and take a sit inside as many as you can. Once you've got layout and number of berths sorted the budget will start to narrow down your choices to something more manageable.

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
It's all about your preferred interior layout. Before you start worrying about the type or shape of the van go and take a sit inside as many as you can. Once you've got layout and number of berths sorted the budget will start to narrow down your choices to something more manageable.

BwB is right.

First - do you want a fixed bed or not?
Second - double / singles

Then start looking at layouts in your prefered configuration. Otherwise you will go around in circles:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The one thing I definitely agree with in Scotland a motorhome is the way to go, no better way to see the beautiful countryside.

Take your time work out which layout works for you, after a caravan does the model motorhome you are looking at have adequate storage for you, would you like to carry bikes to explore the immediate surroundings you are in.

Hymer 544 could be a choice not to big but a lot of underfloor storage.
Keep asking the questions until you come up with the answer that suits you.

OP
OP
P

Pedro T

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the info thus far. Whilst I am very familier with caravan layouts, I have never even been inside a motorhome. In fact until recently I really didn't "GET" motorhomes at all, gradually coming round though!!
The basic layout we prefer is something like:-
2-Berth, made up to large double bed from daytime sofas.
Decent cooking area with 2 or 3 ring hob and oven and reasonable fridge.
Useable washroom with decent shower.
Ability to carry two bikes.
Maybe pull out awning.
All above within a reasonable size to maintain manoeuvreability and keep running costs down.
Does anyone know of Makes/models that nearly fit above criteria?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have never even been inside a motorhome.

I think the first thing that will strike you is how tiny the space is inside for your spec of van.

Then when you are parked on a site and want to visit an attraction 20 miles away you get to pack everything, visit, unpack everything.

It's not all wonderful in a MH.

If you want to stay a week at a time, keep the caravan, if you want to keep moving get a MH.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the info thus far. Whilst I am very familier with caravan layouts, I have never even been inside a motorhome. In fact until recently I really didn't "GET" motorhomes at all, gradually coming round though!!
Maybe pull out awning.
[HI]All above within a reasonable size to maintain manoeuvreability and keep running costs down.
[/HI]
hi there. there are too many to list in this category :Eeek: as already suggested go to a show or several dealers and sit / lounge in as many as you can. dont be in a hurry and buy from the first dealer you visit.

then its down to how deep is your wallet:Eeek:

good hunting :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I think the first thing that will strike you is how tiny the space is inside for your spec of van.

Then when you are parked on a site and want to visit an attraction 20 miles away you get to pack everything, visit, unpack everything.

It's not all wonderful in a MH.

If you want to stay a week at a time, keep the caravan, if you want to keep moving get a MH.

"first class advice " and a serious decision:thumb:.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Maybe pull out awning.
All above within a reasonable size to maintain manoeuvreability and keep running costs down.
Without doubt, you pays your money and makes your choice, most manufacturers have something on offer to cover your list of wants. But be aware of payloads and gross weights, what does your licence cover you to drive, just how much gear to deem to be essential, and don't forget mohomes are more 'self contained' than caravans and as such tend to be more laden. As BwB said, sit in dozens, and then decide on the best compromise for you because unless you are very lucky compromise it must be....just like a caravan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back