ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Looking to increase the max weight, it is just a paper exercise for my van.

Anyone done this themselves??

I know it can be done through SV Tech but i wanted to do it myself, can't be to hard to do can it??:Eeek:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Looking to increase the max weight, it is just a paper exercise for my van.

Anyone done this themselves??

I know it can be done through SV Tech but i wanted to do it myself, can't be to hard to do can it??:Eeek:

I did it through SV Tech, Swansea seems in a bit of a mess at the moment with all the local closures at least SV Tech will get it right. Pete

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
I did it through SV Tech, Swansea seems in a bit of a mess at the moment with all the local closures at least SV Tech will get it right. Pete

Yeah i know sv Tech would do it, but even with them you have to deal with Swansea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yeah i know sv Tech would do it, but even with them you have to deal with Swansea.

SVTech do all the cross referencing and paperwork.

after they have inspected the van to confirm it is capable of the new, higher, weight and will say if you will need air assist suspension to meet the criteria
they then give you a certificate.

the certificate is then sent to DVLA. and as DVLA know and respect SVTech a new V5 will be issued without any further questions.

How are you, personally, going to prove the brakes, suspension and tyres are up to the increased load.

downrating is a simple paper excersize......uprating is far more complicated

Last edited:
OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
SVTech do all the cross referencing and paperwork.

after they have inspected the van to confirm it is capable of the new, higher, weight and will say if you will need air assist suspension to meet the criteria
they then give you a certificate.

the certificate is then sent to DVLA. and as DVLA know and respect SVTech a new V5 will be issued without any further questions.

How are you, personally, going to prove the brakes, suspension and tyres are up to the increased load.

downrating is a simple paper excersize......uprating is far more complicated

It does not need any suspension changes or tyres, the plate already states 2000kgs rear axle 1850kgs front axle. the brakes will not be effected as they have already being tested at the train weight, the train weight will be still be the same just the amount that can be towed will be less as the max weight has increased.
So i believe that nothing would need to be proved as the train weight would not be changed also the max axle weights are still the same as when the vehicle was manufactured.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
However you do it, you will need a new plate showing the new weight and date it was certified. You can probably do it yourself and save a bit of money, but, to be honest, I would rather ( and have done) get SVtech to do it
They sorted mine in just over a week and from start to finish ( phoning up SVtech to getting my plate fitted and new tax disc), took two weeks
DVLA still managed to get my new V5 wrong.
My uprate (3500 to 3700) was a paper excersise and cost £312, I got a £50 refund from DVLA because of the change of taxation class
If i had needed to up the weight any more, I would have needed air suspension at the back and new tyres, luckily, the extra 200kg is plenty for how I use the van
Allan

Just an after thought. I think if you do the work yourself, you will still need to obtain the new plate from either the converter or base vehicle manufacturer. Make sure you can obtain one before you start, otherwise SVTech might be your only option

Last edited:
OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
However you do it, you will need a new plate showing the new weight and date it was certified. You can probably do it yourself and save a bit of money, but, to be honest, I would rather ( and have done) get SVtech to do it
They sorted mine in just over a week and from start to finish ( phoning up SVtech to getting my plate fitted and new tax disc), took two weeks
DVLA still managed to get my new V5 wrong.
My uprate (3500 to 3700) was a paper excersise and cost £312, I got a £50 refund from DVLA because of the change of taxation class
If i had needed to up the weight any more, I would have needed air suspension at the back and new tyres, luckily, the extra 200kg is plenty for how I use the van
Allan

Yeah mine is the same from 3500 to 3850 no mods required i can fit air susp and new tyres then take the rear axle to around 2200kgs, it is not required as i only need around 200kgs.
with it just being a paper exercise it will just be some forms to fill in, but the problem is i do not know which ones, i have tried to search on dvla vosa but can only find forms to increase goods vehicles.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It's a V70 form from DVLA to change the taxation class if you are going to a new class, which I assume you will be. You need to make changes to the V5 too and they need to see a certified copy of the new converters plate after you have fixed the new plate to the vehicle in the correct place. The old plate stays where it is. They will then issue a new tax disc after you surrender the old one and hopefully get a refund because of the difference in rates, and eventually you will get a new V5c. I asked for a temp V5 because I was off to France a few days afterwards. The new V5 came when I was away
Hope this all makes sense!
Allan

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I can tell you from experience that after SVTech have done their bit and sent you your certificate and new plate (sticky label) along with instructions on how to proceed. You do not send anything to the DVLA you must go to a LOCAL DVLA office with the paperwork.
No inspection of the vehicle was required and it was accepted that I had fitted air assisted suspension.
up%20plate-L.jpg

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can tell you from experience that after SVTech have done their bit and sent you your certificate and new plate (sticky label) along with instructions on how to proceed. You do not send anything to the DVLA you must go to a LOCAL DVLA office with the paperwork.
No inspection of the vehicle was required and it was accepted that I had fitted air assisted suspension.

if the official route is via the local DVLA office you better be quick......

as from December this year ALL DVLA local offices will close for good.
the majority close in October and November with just the main city offices (Birmingham, Liverpool etc) closing in December.

as for inspections....if they so please they can insist on an inspection....even if all the paperwork appears correct.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back