Max.permissible mass (exc. m/c)? (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I've just had my van uprated from 3500kg to 3700kg by SvTech. DVLA have been notified and even sent me a nice £50 refund on my road tax ( now £165 as PHGV )
My new V5 arrived yesterday showing the new revenue weight as 3700 but it also shows (sect F.1 ) Max.permissible mass (exc. m/c) 3500.
What on earth does that mean? Do I need a motorcycle?
Allan

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've just had my van uprated from 3500kg to 3700kg by SvTech. DVLA have been notified and even sent me a nice £50 refund on my road tax ( now £165 as PHGV )
My new V5 arrived yesterday showing the new revenue weight as 3700 but it also shows (sect F.1 ) Max.permissible mass (exc. m/c) 3500.
What on earth does that mean? Do I need a motorcycle?
Allan

I would think it is an indication that you wouldn't expect to see a value for a motorcycle. Sounds like the DVLA have messed up and forgotten to update the actual MAM, which is the critical figure that will result in large fines from the police if exceeded.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thank, you are quite right, and I was unable to convince Mrs A that I had to buy a new M/C!
I rang DVLA and while they didn't quite admit that they had entered the wrong details, they did say the MAM should match the revenue weight and that I needed to send the V5 back with a copy of the new plate certificate and a covering letter explaining that the MAM was incorrect.
They would then issue an amended V5
Fingers crossed.......
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think it means you now as it is a goods vehicle have to carry a motorcycle with you when you go away:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes nice little chinese dax is ideal only weighs 80kg . carries two. Link Removed
something like this . they do come cheaper if you look hard . have had mine 12yrs great bit of kit .have had 38stone on it and mines only a 90cc jincheng version .

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thank, you are quite right, and I was unable to convince Mrs A that I had to buy a new M/C!
I rang DVLA and while they didn't quite admit that they had entered the wrong details, they did say the MAM should match the revenue weight and that I needed to send the V5 back with a copy of the new plate certificate and a covering letter explaining that the MAM was incorrect.
They would then issue an amended V5
Fingers crossed.......
Allan

Well, I did what they said. Letter duly sent with copies of all certificates and returned V5c.

5 weeks later, new V5c turns up.
Hmm, lets check it's all ok.

Revenue weight...3700KG Gross.

Max permissable mass ( exc m/c) 3500. :Eeek:

Same as before. Good old DVLA. They take great pleasure in telling you that you must tell them every change to your vehicle details on pain of fine, prosecution or worse, then take no notice when you do tell them.

So, I telephoned a very pleasant lady at DVLA and explained the problem. She said I should have had a letter telling me they had sent the wrong V5 out and to return it when I get the letter, meanwhile, she said, they are investigating the new weight change. Whatever that means.

A week later, the letter arrived and the old form was sent back, this morning, a new V5c arrived through the post, and thankfully, it shows all the correct details.

A simple paperwork exercise has taken over 2 months. With all the local offices due to close down shortly and the added workload at Swansea, I don't envy anyone dealing with DVLA by post in the future.

Still, mines all sorted…….

Allan

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
2 years since this thread was started, I have just had my van re-plated. Guess what - yes, exactly the same problem - Revenue Weight correct but MAM left at the old 3500. :doh:

All paperwork on its' way back to Swansea as it seems that they still have not got themselves sorted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just got my V5 back on Friday, mines the same, reluctant to return it as we are going abroad again on 8th September .
Help what should I do?

Last edited:

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
just to keep this thread going......

just uprated to 3700, V5 comes back with revenue weight 3700, MPM 3500, same problem as OP nearly 3 years ago
Things take a while to get sorted at DVLA don't they:sleep:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Why am I not surprised! I have dealt with quite a few government departments and other professionals in the last few years. The vast majority of them are just incompetant, if I ran a business like them, I would have gone bust years ago.
:restmycase:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I read some time ago that when they closed the regional offices,I used to live in Bournemouth and the one in Poole was great,face to face!
They were so inundated in Swansea that they had to take on many " temporary" staff,guess they still have and don't understand the job!
Just maybe.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Nice one! I'll try that later
Allan

The strategy to adopt is that you indicate your intent to buy a NEW bike that costs £X. You show her various bikes over a period of time and express (more than once) doubt about whether you should spend that much. After a suitable period of time you show her a USED bike that costs £X/2. She recognises the substantial drop in the potential outlay and sees the opportunity as a result!
Win Win says the fella with 5 bikes in the garage!!

Ian

Edit: capitalisation added.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You plonker @bigtwin

Tried your reverse psychology on the wife who wanted a large American fridge
and gave her the calculations to show her how it works
We now have two large American Fridges
What went wrong:doh:
G

20160128_114820.jpg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You plonker @bigtwin

Tried your reverse psychology on the wife who wanted a large American fridge
and gave her the calculations to show her how it works
We now have two large American Fridges
What went wrong:doh:
G

What went wrong you ask?

Buying a house with a Kitchen big enough for two of those monsters, that's what went wrong (oh, and having a wife who can outsmart you (no judgements on relative levels of intelligence are implied or intended!))!

Ian

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2018
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to let you know that nothing's improved at the DVLA. See photo. They returned my V5 today and left the 'max permissible mass' as it was at 3,500 kg having amended the revenue weight. I rang them and was asked to return the document with a covering letter. They don't refund postage and don't accept that this is a recurring issue, even though I pointed out the content of this thread. Makes you wonder why we can't sort out Brexit with professionalism like this in government departments....

Attachments

• 20190314_182219.jpg
    20190314_182219.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 80
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I sent mine back last week with exactly the same problem.
What a bunch of inepts .... I want it correct do I can buy by emissions stickers for the summer

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Great.

Just updated again, sent my V5 off with a covering letter making it perfectly clear I want it correct, as off for 4 months in 4 weeks time. I can see they’ve changed the revenue weight on the website, just waiting for the V5 in the post.......
If it’s not correct it’s not going to be a pleasant phone call

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Regardless of jokes about motorbikes this thread has still not explained what

(exc m/c)

means.

Put me out of my misery please.

And no, I am not going to ask DVLA - I bet half of them do not know what DVLA means.

Geoff

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Oh dear, one Samsung fridge is bad, two is foolish. But don't get me started on their dishwashers! Samsung products are shite, their after sales is dire and their attitude sucks; pure and simple. Wouldn't have them for free. Have they stopped producing ice yet? Wait till you try their warranty procedure...in the Philippines, It's just a matter of time Sir, then you will discover the true nature of the term Kafkaesque. I'm currently debating taking them to court, absolute shower.

No idea what m/c could mean. I would suggest asking them but the DVLA are useless, absolute shower. May as well ask your dog!

Anyway, who's next?

rbvoxx

Free Member
Aug 25, 2019
Funster No
Hi, I've just registered on the site (been meaning to for a while) after getting my V5C back. This is the 2nd time they've sent it back. The first time they stuffed up the revenue weight, it was still 3500. This time the revenue weight is 3650 but.... you guessed it, the MPM weight is 3500. I'm just glad I didn't pay 300 quid for the privilege via svTech lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back