February England MH Solo lady - nuts? (1 Viewer)

MotorhomeElf

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Australia
Funster No
MH
plan to rent one
Exp
Hi all,
Advice and pointing out of obvious pitfalls wanted ::bigsmile:. (Because I am from a warmer country where it doesnt snow).

If I was a solo lady motorhome dweller for the month of February, what are some possible pitfalls? I would be in the south of England, countryside. Using motorhome pitches with power. (all these terms are so new to me - "pitch" - called a 'site' here) It would be a newish rental MH.

February is the month I don't work, and also the low season there, reduced costs, so that's why Feb.

Safe enough at club pitches? Any advice about the roads in country Wiltshire? Does it have winter floods?

Can't wait! Might not happen in 2014, but it will happen sometime.:thumb:
thanks.
Elf.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Not sure specifically about Wiltshire but quite a few campsites are only open from April so you may have to do your homework first. Safety should not be a problem if you are using commercial sites.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Feb - loads of us head south to Spain Morocco to avoid the UK in Feb. In fact the sensible ones leave in Dec and don't return until March or April.

If you like cold, snow, floods, stuck on boggy fields, dark at 4 o'clock then you are in for a ball.

As plans go it's not brilliant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MotorhomeElf

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Australia
Funster No
MH
plan to rent one
Exp
Feb - loads of us head south to Spain Morocco to avoid the UK in Feb. In fact the sensible ones leave in Dec and don't return until March or April.

If you like cold, snow, floods, stuck on boggy fields, dark at 4 o'clock then you are in for a ball.

As plans go it's not brilliant.

Fair enough Brian ::bigsmile: boggy fields I can avoid. The dark at 4pm bit I forgot about. Cold and snow would be a novelty (I can hear the Brits all laughing now - yeah for about 5 minutes!):winky:

Cheers!

OP
OP
M

MotorhomeElf

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Australia
Funster No
MH
plan to rent one
Exp
Not sure specifically about Wiltshire but quite a few campsites are only open from April so you may have to do your homework first. Safety should not be a problem if you are using commercial sites.

Very reassuring thanks: yes, will be carefully checking details.:thumb:

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
we did a 3 week tour of Scotland in February this year had a great time:roflmto:

Alan & Lesley

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If you're going to be using Club sites with hook-up - not a problem. Just make sure the van you hire has electric heating, otherwise you'll get through a fair bit of gas. :Smile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Fair enough Brian ::bigsmile: boggy fields I can avoid. The dark at 4pm bit I forgot about. Cold and snow would be a novelty (I can hear the Brits all laughing now - yeah for about 5 minutes!):winky:

Cheers!

You will be suprised in how quick a time the novelty of cold dark wet slushy snow ice wind can wear of in
Nice to see for first time but not for long
Sun sea and sangria for us :thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hello and welcome Elf, if you are going to Wiltshire I would recommend the Devizes site which is open all year round. Lovely staff, excellent facilities, and the pub next door does great food. You can walk or cycle into Devizes along the canal towpath.

I would also recommend Wiltshire Motorhomes in Melksham, 3 miles away from the campsite who hire out motorhomes, and are very obliging.

best regards

Catherine

OP
OP
M

MotorhomeElf

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Australia
Funster No
MH
plan to rent one
Exp
Hello and welcome Elf, if you are going to Wiltshire I would recommend the Devizes site which is open all year round. Lovely staff, excellent facilities, and the pub next door does great food. You can walk or cycle into Devizes along the canal towpath.

I would also recommend Wiltshire Motorhomes in Melksham, 3 miles away from the campsite who hire out motorhomes, and are very obliging.

best regards

Catherine

So far I've only looked at biggish rental companies (out of Heathrow airport)- it might well be better to go local! thanks for that tip. Devizes camp site I already found: thats what got me started. (Traced family history back to 1821 Devizes so far...no doubt all the kin are buried there in St john and St Mary):Smile: Walking distance to town is very good to know, thanks.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you want real snow (not 1 inch for a couple of days) and dark at 3 PM then Northern Scotland is your place.....:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back