Strike back alarm - mobile fitting? (1 Viewer)

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi
I would like to get a strike back alarm fitted and ideally I would go to Vanbitz. Logistically I just can't get there ( work etc). Does anyone know of a mobile fitting service or a garage in the South east that can fit one?

Cheers

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't know about mobile fitting, but why not go up there for a long weekend and enjoy Taunton if work permits.

They have a lovely site right next to the workshop:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi
I would like to get a strike back alarm fitted and ideally I would go to Vanbitz. Logistically I just can't get there ( work etc). Does anyone know of a mobile fitting service or a garage in the South east that can fit one?

Cheers

We possibly could fit it for you but you would need to check with Glenn my service manager on 01-580-881288 option 3

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
why not give Eddie a call or pm him he's a member. i have strike back, great system but they will not do mobile fitting. as Chris has said they have a lovely campsite meters away from the workshop and you get a free nights stay if booked for strikeback fitting:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now i could be wrong here, and apologies to Eddy if i am, but from what i understand only Vanbitz or their northern branch, Leisurepower of Warrington. can fit their strikeback alarm system for insurance certification purposes.

if anyone could buy and fit them, then less than honest installers could fit it as they saw fit, missing out awkward sensors and complicated circuits leaving it less than secure....and you would be none the wiser.

without the installation certificate your insurers wont be interested if you claim and you may as well have visited your nearest motoring shop and buy a cheap alarm to fit yourself.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
PappaJohn is right. We used to have a number of fitting agents but the buggers would so often take short cuts or bodge the hard bits to speed up the install. :Angry:

This would then leave the customer disgruntled and moaning at us :cry:

So we decided that as we would dump the lot and only keep Leisure Power who work to a very high standard.

It takes us over half a day, in a workshop with two installers to fit a standard Strikeback system, and the best part of a day for our multiple siren system, Growler. This is along side of the office staff to deal with the customers comfort and enquires so they can get on with the job.

Often on the morning the specification of the job changes slightly due to either the layout or construction of the motorhome, or requests from an insurer or even just the customer changing their mind after research or talking to other motorhome owners.

None of this matters as we have everything that we need to hand. Additional staff that can be put onto the installation should the installation need it, we are not primarily a small business with a huge web site, so we keep virtually everything actually in stock, so if you decide on the day that you want extras we simply go to the stock room and get them.

So many times with business's that have to order stock in for you, that's what you get! "Can I change my mind?" " Well I did buy it in specially for you" and you end up getting what you don't really want.

As for the installation, if we need to remove anything from the van, we can, we have a dedicated room adjacent to the workshop that we store soft furnishings for example.

None of this can be done mobile. We have a large, well illuminated work pit in our main workshop allowing us staff to run cabling around the motorhome, normally in existing cable runs, normally using the same clips and conduit as the manufacturer to disguise them. Again, that cannot be done mobile.

Often the mobile installers Poo Poo all of this, but I started the business back in 1988 - 89 and went full time 1990 I was mobile, but working from a base but our workshop wasn't large enough to accommodate motorhomes so was always working outside. Also, it's getting dark, the mobile fitter has a 150 mile drive home, he is cold, hungry and want's to get off, yet you re not entirely happy with the installation or the demonstration and your not quite sure how to use it, but keep quiet as the attitude is changing to slightly annoyed and you don't want a scene.

Some accessories perhaps don't really matter if installed in a workshop or mobile, but an alarm system, done properly takes time and should only be done in a controlled environment.

After all would you be happy turning up for a operation to be told that as it is such a lovely day the surgeon has asked "Would you mind if he operates on you in the car park, or would you prefer the theatre?" :Eeek:

Also you get a Subscribers 10% discount to help with the fuel costs and you get to stay on our campsite www.cornishfarm.com

We have staff that live at Seaford and they commute so possibly could arrange to bring the motorhome down for you depending on where in South East you are?

Sorry a bit long winded but to say "NO" we don't offer a mobile service seems very un customer focused which is absolutely incorrect.

A few pictures I took on the way in (for another post :roflmto:) shows our campsite and toilet block, this mornings installation and a couple of new vans from a local dealer for Tracking system installations.

Eddie

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Having owned a van with a strikeback alarm and others vans with different alarms I have to say the strikeback is head and shoulders above the others as it uses sealed sensors not cheap nasty pin switches it is designed for a motorhome from the outset not a "universal car alarm" you get no hard sell if you ask them anything at all at shows and I have found them very honest in their answers to any questions I have asked.

I would rate the alarm as the one to have for the above reasons and anyone who thinks they are expensive needs to compare like with like ( commission in the post eddie?):ROFLMAO:

I always recommend strikeback as they take a pride in the work they do, it may be a pain having to travel a long way to get the job done but at least you know if your alarm goes off it was not another false alarm.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I know exactly where you are coming from Eddie!

I much prefer to do anything more 'in-depth' in the unit, without distraction and in a clean environment...well, at least clean when you start!:ROFLMAO:

You can do the simple things mobile easily enough, and even the more complex in the right conditions. But I do prefer jobs to come here when they require half the car stripping. I saves a worried looking customer when they see their loom hanging out, you don't need to spend time entertaining the customer or their inquistive dog that wants to 'help' You can just get on with it in a clean, controlled environment.

That may sound harsh to customers - we do enjoy a chat, I am probably one of the worst, but electrics can be time consuming, and increasingly complex and illogical wiring of modern vehicles (Fuel pumps running off rear lights?) distractions from weather, environment (no space/parking/access) and in the winter, daylight can make a simple job a long-winded experience.

There are lots of 'have a go' sparks out there - make sure yours is a good one, that warranties his own work and not just the equipment!:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Having owned a van with a strikeback alarm and others vans with different alarms I have to say the strikeback is head and shoulders above the others as it uses sealed sensors not cheap nasty pin switches it is designed for a motorhome from the outset not a "universal car alarm" you get no hard sell if you ask them anything at all at shows and I have found them very honest in their answers to any questions I have asked.

I would rate the alarm as the one to have for the above reasons and anyone who thinks they are expensive needs to compare like with like ( commission in the post eddie?):ROFLMAO:

I always recommend strikeback as they take a pride in the work they do, it may be a pain having to travel a long way to get the job done but at least you know if your alarm goes off it was not another false alarm.

:winky: Your cheque will be in the post LOL

Seriously though thank you for your kind comments, on this post and others.

The problem most business's are faced with now is the internet. It can be used for good and for bad. I have a couple of rules of thumb when dealing with internet or mobile based business's.

One if they don't put down an address I don't use them and I use that address to look them up on Google Earth.

I have done this since Christmas 2011 when we bought Helly Hansen sailing gloves for one of our sons. They were rubbish and didn't seem very good quality. Yet the web site led us to believe that they were a major HH supplier. Google Earth street view showed them a a tiny terraced house in the middle of a residential area:Eeek:

So lots of business's offer all sorts of things, but recommendations such as yours are invaluable to people trying to establish just who to use.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Also as one of my colleagues has just pointed out we do undertake installations on Saturdays to make it easier for those that work during the week :thumb:

Eddie

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
And , and ,theres music in the shower block .They also gave me a lift into town where i was forced to try out a few watering holes.Well it would have been rude not to.Smashing bunch of people.Im very pleased with my Growler as i can use it any time i want to wake the whole neighbourhood.

Last edited:

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
I had growler fitted in feb really pleased with workman shipped lovely site to stay on and never had a force alarm well recommended:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well you got the answer why Eddie keeps it all in house, he does a proper job and offers hospitaltity you wont find anywhere else, (we dont serve chocolate:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

So go to Taunton stay on his campsite, enjoy and get a good job done:thumb:

Peter

Nigels

Free Member
Jul 18, 2013
Solent
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 1991
Hi

Cheers

Having used Eddie's team and facilities for the many vans I have had I can only say take a day out and visit Taunton. The product and service is superb.:thumb:

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Hope this has persuaded you to visit Taunton. We bought our strikeback early this year and are very pleased with it. Good customer service .Never had a false alarm Had a really nice stay on their site. It was in the winter and were so impressed with the heating in the toilet block. Nearly moved in!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back