LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Can anybody help me with advice on the Maxview crank up dishes please.

I am currently using a Multimo dish that is ok but I would much rather be able to set the dish up from inside the van.

We spend a lot of time in the lakes and the Yorkshire Dales. Would I be better with the 85cms dish or the 65cms dish.

How do these dishes perform? Are they easy to set up on site and is the reception good. I will be fitting the dish myself as it looks fairly easy job.

Any advice would be most welcome thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had one on the last euro van and it worked well.

easy to set up once you get used to it and you can use the TV as a signal strength meter as you're inside the van and can watch.

once you lock onto the signal you note the elevation on the scale...it aint going to alter more than one degree in the UK....so you can set that up in seconds then turn the dish until you get a picture, then fine tune the elevation and direction for best picture.

one funster, Scotjimland, had a lot of trouble with his in strong wind.

it would strip out the plastic/nylon gears from the up/down mechanism or rotate lock mechanism.......on more than one replacement unit.

lower it in high winds to be safe, but that said.... i never had any trouble even in winds high enough to rock the van on its corner steadies.

65cm dish should be big enough for the UK but MAY struggle in the upper highlands of Scotland.

they are easy enough to fit but measure everything at least 30 times....you only get one chance to drill through the roof in the right place.

use a long pilot drill right through the roof first, keeping it EXACTLY 90deg to the roof, then drill the main hole partly from above and partly below so it doesnt rip/split the ceiling lining or fibreglass roof when it goes through.
if it isnt 90deg it makes it much hard to fit the rotator tube and winder rod later....believe me, i know. :Doh::Blush:

take into account the top of any cupboard doors when they are opened, the rotator bezel on the ceiling stands proud by maybe 35mm or so

Last edited:
OP
OP
My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Thanks Pappajohn.

Would the nylon gears that stripped in strong winds be from the previous model. I think that Maxview advertise that they have beefed up the nylon gears in the newer versions. I may be wrong though.

I would prefer the 65cms dish as I think this would be safer in the winter weather as we use the van throughout the winter,.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I had the previous model with no issues of any kind. The new model is a better product in many ways. Good post from John, spot on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Pappajohn.

Would the nylon gears that stripped in strong winds be from the previous model. I think that Maxview advertise that they have beefed up the nylon gears in the newer versions. I may be wrong though.

I would prefer the 65cms dish as I think this would be safer in the winter weather as we use the van throughout the winter,.

Jims problems were a considerable time back so it probably was the old version.

as i said before, i had no problem even in 'wind rocking the van' conditions

not sure of the ins and outs but a 45cm sky mini dish wont be much good at the top of Scotland....so i guess it depends on the dynamics of the 65cm dish

the old round dish of yesteryear at around 80cm was replaced with a 45cm eliptical dish and did the same job

Last edited:
OP
OP
My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Pappajohn your a star.

Thanks for all your information it's been very helpful. I will take in all your advice when I'm fitting the dish. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
some great advice from papajohn, only one additional point from me that has to date made me hesitate in fitting one as yet. you need line of site to the satellite :thumb: so to state the obvious not all pitches or locations may provide that line of site, trees, hedgerows and any other obstruction can prevent a full signal lock.

good luck:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Which of course applies to ALL satellite equipment not specific to a Maxview crankup :roflmto:

but he can move his multimo around the tree:ROFLMAO:

bit of a bu"""""er when you pay £3k for a super sat system roof mounted and some inconsiderate person has planted a tree in the way.....

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
:roflmto:

I learnt the hard way to check my signal before setting up shop but it's much quicker with a dome. Selling mine soon Camos Mk II £400
Bought a newer model

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
:roflmto:

I learnt the hard way to check my signal before setting up shop but it's much quicker with a dome. Selling mine soon Camos Mk II £400
Bought a newer model

im tempted, but i use a 57cm Arcon dish ( it thinks its 80cm :ROFLMAO:)on a tripod to great effect been down to norther spain with no issues ( subject to new sat beams in future )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back