Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Funsters over the years have always been helpful so here we go with another question
How important is wi fi to you when staying on a CS/CL, do you go there to get away from it all or do you still want access to the internet ?
Would you be willing to pay a small amount for wifi or do you expect it free?
Any comments would be helpful, just had an estimate for installation and would like to know your views.
Thank you
Eileen

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi there ,some like to drink ,some like to smoke ,and some like to go on line,i am one that likes to go online so me i,m happy to pay a couple of pounds a day.lol:RollEyes:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If we are away for the weekend then Wifi isn't that important although if it was reasonably priced I would use it. If our daughter Sophie who is 16 came with us it would be a must :ROFLMAO:

While on holiday this summer we had wifi at several locations and the 3 campsites we used where all free, so came in really handy for keeping in touch back home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We use the net for all sorts from weather forecasts to the newspapers so we enjoy Internet access.
Having said that many areas have good 3G access so we wouldn't pay extra for specific wifi if that was available.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We booked a week at a CL this summer and the free WiFi was the most exciting thing about it for our 14 year old daughter (until we got there and she discovered the shetland ponies).

Personally I wouldn't be bothered either way.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
An internet connection is an essential part of life now.

Looking for good weather must load the internet at many a site.

I'd have thought you could do it for coppers on a cl. One £25 WiFi extender and a bit of wire.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
The availability of wifi would make me choose one site in preference to another. That said, I'd only use it if it was free or a very nominal amount. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would do as Brian says using your home router and make sure you are on a unlimited tariff :thumb: people are bound to start downloading films etc:winky:
Terry
BTs home hub lets people who subscribe to there network log onto the wifi for free if they are near enough to get a signal from anyones router ie pull up outside a row of houses there is bound to be someone with a bt hub

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If a site has good 3 network mobile broadband reception, then I'm happy to use my dongle (costs me around £2 per week). If not, then free (or no more than £2 per week) wi-fi would be a deciding factor for me. :Smile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If there's free wi-fi......I usually use it.

If not....I use my 3G dongle.

If I can't get 3G and I need a connection for work, I'll pay for wi-fi. The C&CC often do £2 for 24 hours (500MB download cap I think), or a better deal for more days.

(Edit:£2 for 24 hours seems pretty expensive compared to a PAYG 3G dongle if all you're doing is checking your email and checking out motorhomefun.co.uk so I'd probably pass unless I needed it for work and couldn't get a decent 3G signal.)

I'd have thought you could do it for coppers on a cl. One £25 WiFi extender and a bit of wire.

There's probably going to be a fixed download cap from the ISP, which will cost to increase, or maybe a soft limit that will start costing the site when (not if) visitors decide to make the most of their £x for 24 hours.

So either the site offers no download limit and has to cover greedy visitors by charging everyone more, or usually there has to be some software/hardware in place to cap each visitor's downloads. I'm guessing that's the bit that costs but might be necessary to stop one motorhome ruining access speeds for everyone else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
quote: I'd have thought you could do it for coppers on a cl. One £25 WiFi extender and a bit of wire.

Told this will not cover the site, a good job quote was £300 which we thought reasonable but small van sites don't make much money hence the question

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just a minor point to consider....

selling on part of your broadband connection is a breach of T&Cs for most residential customers. as its only a 5 van site, a simple wireless extender will work in most cases. either dont charge or put the per night cost up to include FREE wifi.... just dont charge for it specifically

getting in commercial broadband is an expensive exercise

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Link Removed
this is what i use a booster and it gets loads of networks and as long as they are unsecure then internet for nowt and good signals

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
For us having wi-fi makes all the difference especially with 2 young boys.:thumb:

However in Uk If I have a 3G signal on my iPhone (3 Network) I just tether that with all our devices. If there is w-ifi on site it means we don't all have to connect through my phone alone.

Wi-fi is definitely a positive, but only if it's for free or a reasonably moderate cost. These £5 a day rip offs we never touch, equivalent to £150 a month, they are having a laugh.....

::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We normally use our MiFi wherever we go.

I would be wary about using a "home" type broadband contract for business use as some providers can (I understand) get a bit uppity if they find out (as they might well do as a result of increased/heavy use).

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Customers can use free wifi outside my cottage but we were thinking of having it available on each pitch which is a distance away from the cottage.
Didn't know that you couldn't make a nominal charge from your home conection so thanks for that

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We booked a week at a CL this summer and the free WiFi was the most exciting thing about it for our 14 year old daughter (until we got there and she discovered the shetland ponies).

Personally I wouldn't be bothered either way.

Shetland Ponies have that effect on me:ROFLMAO:

but Wi fi is usefull:thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I would be wary about using a "home" type broadband contract for business use as some providers can (I understand) get a bit uppity if they find out (as they might well do as a result of increased/heavy use).

Mine (PlusNet) definately doesn't allow residential broadband to be used for any kind of business use, and I'm not willing to risk testing their (or any other ISP's) detection abilities out, so I pay for a business connection. I suspect my monthly business upload/download amounts are probably less than some people use watching iPlayer in a few days :Angry:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I need internet at all times so we have a 3 type mifi and I can link to my o2 phone so I would not pay for it
But out in wilds and no signal I would have to pay for it where possible
But I do get wound up sometimes at price some of these sites charge its just another cash cow to some a couple of quid a day seems reasonable to me but then I have no idea what your set up and running costs would be so I may be being unfair
In a nut shell I would only pay if I had to

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I cant possibly live without it. When I stayed with you my old 3 mobile worked well as a dongle down there.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I,m sure 3 would do a commercial system using a mifi, if it was high enough you would get coverage OK but as already said there are those who would download films endlessly and eat up you data allowance

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Currently on a site for a week and paying £7.50 for weeks Internet which seems Ok.Some sites are indeed having a laugh charging up to £1 an hour! We would generally stay on a site with in preference to one without.:thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
As a recent visitor, I think your underpriced for the quality of the site Dylan. So a small rise would only bring you inline with other CL's....Some charge £15 for no more than you provide, often in less well managed grounds. I think we used our mifi at yours.....For us internet is crucial. I can only see that increasing generally across the population as time goes by.

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
For 15£ I expect spotless toilet/ free showers, electric /water on pitch, chem disposal on site and ADULTS ONLY :thumb: this I have found on quite a few sites but only one had free wifi as well.
I use a 3 dongle but the signal can be a PITA a small charge for wifi is acceptable say 1£ a day or less

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
As long as you were not wearing a mask and carrying a gun I would be willing to pay a reasonable cost for wifi

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We have paid for wifi but free wifi is now a deal maker for us. I am still having a go at the C&CC over wifi. Most of the sites used to have BT openzones so free to BT broadband customers. Their new wifi provider removed all the openzone connections ( told by engineer actually doing it) to increase revenue. The club have now been telling me for over a year that they intend to review openzones but do not know why they stopped working!
Good or stupid?
Cheers
Bernie:Sad:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
For 15£ I expect spotless toilet/ free showers, electric /water on pitch, chem disposal on site and ADULTS ONLY :thumb: this I have found on quite a few sites but only one had free wifi as well.

Your quite right about the showers etc, but I tend to focus on the location...I've better things to do than haggle over 1 or 2£'s per night. Dylan's site is Adult Only, which for me is a big thumbs up.....so potentially coupled with WIFI would make it £12/£13 a night site. Hopefully allowing her to claw back some of the cost of WIFI over a year or so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back