Help I've blown the electrics!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I forgot the halogen hob was on and the iPad on charge and plugged my 1200W hair dryer in. No surprise the electrics blew!! Trouble is we can't find the main fuse!! Any ideas. It is a Fiat Elnagh Doral if that helps? To make matters worse the fridge is refusing to work on gas as the ignition switch keeps clicking so unless we can find the fault we will have to eat 2 large bowls of chilli and a chicken curry tonight before they go off! Any help appreciated. :cry:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If your fridge keeps clicking, the chances are-

a) You've run out of gas!

b) Your regulator has gone tits up due to blockage and requires replacement!

Does your gas hob work?

As for the mains electrics, you will find it will only have tripped at your distribution panel or the hookup post! You just have to find your panel!!!!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We have plenty of gas so I'm thinking the fridge is buggered. We have checked the main box and its not tripping when we test it so something's wrong. Looks like a trip to a repair shop!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi try unplugging from HU then reseting trip in both van and HU point then replug in :thumb:Also try switching the fridge on and off ,the gas could well be trying to ignite but you may have a little damp around the ignition ---My fridge sometimes does not ingnite first time after its been stood but after a couple of times it fires up,then once its been lit it goes first time :thumb:
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
find your distribution box in the van....generally near to the point where the cable enters the van, but hidden in the back/bottom of a cupboard.

switch the trips fully OFF, then back to ON

this of course assumes you checked there is power at the bollard or use a different socket. on some sites ive been on, you need to get the site staff to come with a key to switch it back on

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Just out on a lovely cycle ride along the north Norfolk coast so will try every ones suggestions when we get back to the camp. Thank you ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the main switch in the vans fuse box doesnt trip when tested you have no power getting to the fusebox.

one of two things could be wrong.

you tripped the site hookup posts breaker

you overloaded the hookup lead and that needs checking for continuity

can you borrow a lead for a few minutes to plug your van in and see if it then works.

one more thing.....try plugging into another hookup post, it may be a faulty breaker on the one you are currently on..

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The fridge will not ignite if the battery level is too low which I am guessing it will be with things blown

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
A couple of times when we were away in the caravan, I switched the electric kettle on, a normal house one, I forgot that we had the electric heating on, well it tripped, the warden sorted it at the EHU post, another time the warden was away, and hubby just plugged in to the other point on the post, told the warden later.no problem, I then put a note on the kettle cable, check fire before switching on, we now have a low voltage kettle, :thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
if the main switch in the vans fuse box doesnt trip when tested you have no power getting to the fusebox.

one of two things could be wrong.

you tripped the site hookup posts breaker

you overloaded the hookup lead and that needs checking for continuity

can you borrow a lead for a few minutes to plug your van in and see if it then works.

one more thing.....try plugging into another hookup post, it may be a faulty breaker on the one you are currently on..

We tried another hookup point when we got back to the site so it's looking like it could be the lead. We didn't like to ask our neighbour as they were cooking tea and watching tv so we will borrow a friends lead when we get home today and try it. To make matters worse the gas bottle ran out just as I finished cooking the curry so no cup of tea for me this morning. Best I get up and get ready for a ride to Sheringham if I want a cuppa!! :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back