Water through roof light (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Found water coming though front roof light to day so went to motor home place and got some adhesive tape, Are the windows easy to get out got to do it tomorrow they said a good quality sealant would be go enough to seal round the edge Is there a right or wrong way to do It thanks
Gary.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I took mine right out (removed internal coverings to expose fixing screws) cleaned as much of the old adhesive off as I could then bedded it back on with Sikaflex caravan adhesive. No leaks since. Don't be tempted to use building sealant it reportedly can not cope with the stresses of a moving vehicle

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi Gary
I have just done mine which was a Remis roof light not sure which one you have got.
But on mine i had to ease the frame off inside the motorhome using a wide blade knife gently working my way around the edge until it poped off(i got help of this site how to do that)

Once i got that off i took all the screws out holding the roof light down then i had to break the old sealing mastic i used a scraper (use it gently) working my way around i put little wedges under to stop it sticking back down.

When you have got it off you have to clean all the old mastic off the roof light and the motorhome roof then put the new mastic strip on the roof light and gently lower the roof light back in the roof.
When you put the screw back screw one in on one side then screw another on the opposite side and so on work your way around don't over tighten when all the screws are in work your way around gently nipping them up buy using opposites this will make sure it is even all around.

I then ran a bead of non setting mastic around the edge of the roof light this and then put the inner frame back on.

Don't use silicone to seal the edge use non setting mastic as this can flex without breaking the seal it is only a couple of quid to buy.

I did mine a couple of months ago and not had any ore leaks:thumb:

I am not the best at putting things into words but i hope this helps:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Archer
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Got the roll of white mastic sealing strip for bedding it on and some uni bond extreme repair sealant which says is flexible to put over the top needs to be done tomorrow before to much water gets in dont think I can get sikalflex around here tomorrow?

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Got the roll of white mastic sealing strip for bedding it on and some uni bond extreme repair sealant which says is flexible to put over the top needs to be done tomorrow before to much water gets in dont think I can get sikalflex around here tomorrow?
the best sealant to use is the mastic on a roll. this ensures an even seal and allows the joint to flex without splitting

This is a link from a previous post on here

if you use sikaflex, it will be near impossible to remove the skylight without breaking it or damaging the roof of your van. if you get a leak or the plastic cracks, as it does with age, it becomes a huge job to replace

OP
OP
Archer
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think that's what I've got 5 metres of white mastic sealing strip if so do I bed window on it and then put more over the top to seal

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
I think that's what I've got 5 metres of white mastic sealing strip if so do I bed window on it and then put more over the top to seal
Yes bed the roof light using the mastic strip
You put the mastic strip on the roof light take note where the old mastic was placed.
On mine there was a a channel around the edge of the roof light were you put this strip make sure you overlap on the corners.
Use non setting mastic to seal edges don't use the mastic strip or silicone.
The non setting mastic you can get from all caravan dealers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Archer
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Billy will see if I can get some from some were there's a caravan place not far from here thanks
Gary.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Thanks Billy will see if I can get some from some were there's a caravan place not far from here thanks
Gary.

Hope you manage to do it, i was a bit hesitant but once you start it all falls into place:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just take your time doing the job and dont be tempted to rush at all. you will have to be careful that the plastic hasnt gone brittle and that you separate the frame from the roof carefully so as not to damage the skin of the roof.

once off, scrape both sides clean then finish off cleaning with white spirit. make sure thats dry before putting the tape on. when screwing up the clamps dont over tighten as that will just push the mastic out. once fitted leave it an hour to form a skin then tighten down a bit all round. dont tighten all of one side then work round. do the opposite corners, then the middle screws followed by the screws in between. this ensures it pulls down flat and gives a good seal.

if you can leave it a day at this point before applying sealant around the outside. some mastic will ooze out and needs trimming back with a credit card, do this before sealing (credit card so you dont scratch the roof). finally check the screws are tight, then refit the inner decorative frame with the blinds

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi Garry,we all ways use a good quality Boat Marine sealant,it cope's very well up here in exstream weather changes and movement of MH,can Recommend it:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while the roof light is out its worth spreading sealer over the exposed edges of the roof opening.

it will help stop water wicking into the timber batons around the opening if it should leak again

OP
OP
Archer
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Done the roof light to day after:Smile: taking roof light out saw that the screw heads had gone and the aluminium roof had come away so re fitted with new screws,( most of the time was getting old mastic off), then put mastic tape round and replaced light the inner part of light holds it down and in place then ran a bead of none drying mastic round outer edge and smoothed it with wet finger cleaned up went in doors and poured my self a beer just got to see what happens when it rains:thumb:
Gary.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Done the roof light to day after:Smile: taking roof light out saw that the screw heads had gone and the aluminium roof had come away so re fitted with new screws,( most of the time was getting old mastic off), then put mastic tape round and replaced light the inner part of light holds it down and in place then ran a bead of none drying mastic round outer edge and smoothed it with wet finger cleaned up went in doors and poured my self a beer just got to see what happens when it rains:thumb:
Gary.

Well done Gary:thumb: I can't remember mentioning having a beer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well done Gary:thumb: I can't remember mentioning having a beer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

beer is an excellent solvent for getting rid of spare cash alternatively you can imbibe various distilled spirits.... excellent for making any diy job look better:thumb:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Did mine with Mastic recently
do remember to clear the old stuff off completely first.
Good Luck:Smile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back