Solo at tolls (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I'll be taking the 'van the length of France next week, which will be the first time I've driven an RHD vehicle solo over there. Am not looking forward to sorting the toll booths, but don't want to pay for a radio chip thing that I'll likely not use again. Any tips for getting through? Shuffle across? Get out and walk round? How long do you get? etc

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
You get as long as it takes:thumb:
No need to rush, the drivers on the continent are no where near as rude as Brits.....And usually helpful if you have a problem.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont use toll roads .no need to use them .
but if by accident take your time struggle with chabge etc .its all part of the fun . walk round ask price walk back look in van for money . ask again . struggle to count it out . struggle to count the change . you can have a big lineup behind you if you do it right . ha ha .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'll be taking the 'van the length of France next week, which will be the first time I've driven an RHD vehicle solo over there. Am not looking forward to sorting the toll booths, but don't want to pay for a radio chip thing that I'll likely not use again. Any tips for getting through? Shuffle across? Get out and walk round? How long do you get? etc

Swap for LHD. No tolls in the UK...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Same as I do at the Severn Bridge in my left hooker. Handbrake on, get up and open the passenger window. It only takes a few seconds more. No worries.. enjoy your trip:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
but if by accident take your time struggle with chabge etc .its all part of the fun . walk round ask price walk back look in van for money . ask again . struggle to count it out . struggle to count the change . you can have a big lineup behind you if you do it right . ha ha .

i hope i never get stuck behind you Alan, you cantankerous old bugger. :ROFLMAO:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I do it often though work
Plenty change low denomination notes 5 and 10 euros
Just walk round money in ticket out or ticket in then pay and away you go
Any problem press button they can usually speak enough English to get by
These guys do it all day long and are well used to Brits abroad
Some times you get a jerk behind getting rattled tough just smile

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tolls

Swap for LHD. No tolls in the UK...

Hi the M6 does not have a toll part when did that happen, I have a LHD for sale drove down south and return solo shuffled across to passenger side you should have seen the looks I got further up the road its got uk plates on a ford chassis.:roflmto::roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I just get out and walk round.

Usually hand signal to the car behind when walking back to my side.

That can either be a wave to say sorry or a finger if they are revving their engine or hooting.:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
like jim said handbrake on up from the seat and over to the passenger window but remember the tolls in france will cost as much if not more than a tank of diesel go non tolls and see the sights

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
ERIC...What Jim, UK Bill, chopper 602, VWAlan... have said is sound advice ...also get yourself a pick up stick (a good one that grips the ticket)...I use one (and I am left hand drive) to grab the ticket it is a lot easyer that uncoupling the seat belt (it is also ideal depending on your door window height ..it may be to low or too high) ....also on approaching the toll in France look at the signs above, many will have a union jack for right hand drive vehicles...also some of the booths are for both sides...
If all fails make sure the point you stop allows you to get out of your hab door (some are tight lanes with metal work around you )...don't forget to lock the door with the keys while your are getting your ticket as this may take you several minutes.....if all of this bothers you do what most of us do do none toll roads....more to see ...and stop when you want... many times a shorter milage just may take a little longer...but that is ok you are on Holiday Eric:thumb:...enjoy your holiday.
The small kiddies fishing net is ideal for you to pass the money to a opperator IF one is there but only put coins in (as your notes may blow away or make a lid for the net ) this allows the till person to put your change back in for you...all the pay booth person opperated ....just below the pay window there is a led type screen after the collector has entered your ticket ... the price will come up on the screen...(so keep plenty of coin type money)...also many are now credit card opperated ...put in your ticket ...it will tell which way in which way up......take your time.....then your credit card also which way in which way up..you can also see on a screen what the cost was also a button to press to get a receipt..IF you have a problem there should be a button press and speak somebody will answer yoiu

Last edited:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
What about one of those gadgets that you stick on the windscreen that automatically opens the barrier.
We used one this year towing the caravan and it was excellent.
Admittedly you have to pay a deposit on the device and it will cost an extra euro for any month in which you use it but we found quicker and less troublesome.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all. I'll need to use at least some tolls as I have to do the trip in two days - will save the meandering for the return trip,when I' 'll be joined by Mrs E. I'd assumed that all the booths were card only, so the fishing net idea is new to me! Have considered the chip thing, but usually we've two up, so not needed. I'll report back on how I get on!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

This part I agree with:thumb:...the rest of the reply:Doh:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
RHD van at French toll booths? No Problem!

Handbrake turn on the approach, reverse through, pay, boot it flat out in reverse, J-turn, then on your way!

Don't forget to pull over at the next services to put everything back in the cupboards!:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would suggest unbelting and doing the business out of the passenger side window. If we have to use tolls we always use a lane with a machine rather than an operator, and pay by card, it's much faster. The machines have slots at a high level, as well as the low ones for cars, which are ideal for motorhomes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back