refillable gas bottles installation (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have just had one 6kg Gaslow bottle fitted with a filler in the door, couldn't fit 2 in unfortunately due to the size of the locker.
We had 2x6kg calor in there but David at marquis said the locker wouldn't accommodate 2.
We asked for assistance for the first time filling, it's easy when you are shown isn't it, got a fright when releasing the trigger at the gas station, didn't expect the whoosh of gas when releasing the trigger, we know what to expect next time.
It was satisfying seeing the same amount of gas going in for less than half the price of the calor bottles.
We have sold the empty one and we are going to use the other full caller before selling that one and then start using the Gaslow.
One problem did occur in that the gauge didn't register at first so decided to mention to David in the morning of that problem but when in returning back to the campsite hey ho, the gauge then showed full so somehow the road trip must have jogged it into working.
Big outlay in the beginning but hope to save more as time goes on, nice to know we can refill at any time though.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
No more worrying about finding gas bottle replacement now especially when abroad, you have got the message nice one and it will be worth every penny spent especially the convienece factor, just top up at any LPG gge in the WORLD really :winky:, I have this same type of system and was able to top up in Sweden, Norway, Belgium on my last trip, did not give gas another thought really just topped up when I see the gauge going down SIMPLES.:RollEyes: Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't think that unless you have bulk LPG available to dispense (test and demonstrate) that you should sell Gaslow.

Just my opinion

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
This sounds interesting.

I didn't realise there was a valid alternative to Calor. Being able to just fill up with LPG sounds cool.

Where do you go to get your MH converted over?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have just had one 6kg Gaslow bottle fitted with a filler in the door,

Rings alarm bells. Yes it's permitted but having a steel pipe regularly flexing is not the best option.

Do yourself a favour and read the document below, especially the door mounted filler part and make sure they have done the job properly.

Link Removed

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Rings alarm bells. Yes it's permitted but having a steel pipe regularly flexing is not the best option.

Do yourself a favour and read the document below, especially the door mounted filler part and make sure they have done the job properly.

Link Removed
They drilled a 70mm hole through the door so the door doesn't have to be open to refill, Terry not confident to drill hole but the actual fitting looked easy.
Cost £80 for fitting but they tested for leaks, I know many of you say that's a rip off but we at least don't.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Alugas available from Dave Newell in Telford or Autogas 2000 in Thirsk.

Would have had it done with them but too far from east Sussex, would have had my discount too.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Would have had it done with them but too far from east Sussex, would have had my discount too.

Dave is a long way from us as well but we worked it into a trip in the van - actually the first one in this van. We did the same last week when we had a rear view camera fitted. We stayed at Severn Valley Gorge site (5 minutes away) first time and Shrewsbury Showground (half an hour away) last week.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Fitting gas bottles

Honestly, for a total incompetent like me, I managed to fit a Gasit system in about an hour and tested it for leaks with the aerosol supplied. I sourced bottle to regulator steel braided hoses from eBay at a considerable saving. Cost of filling 2 6kg bottles about £18 rather than £20 for a Calor refill for one. Highly recommended!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back