LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Any members got a "Mercedes" based motor home... ?

Anything to look out for...

Good Bad or indifferent...:Cool:

Ta... :thumb:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Me! Me!...... I've got one!!

I have an Autotrail Scout on the Mercedes 316 CDi cab/chassis.

It has a nice chain in the engine bit instead of a rubber band, which I find comforting... and driving it is lovely thanks to the available power and the Sprintshift automated-manual gearbox.... so much more relaxing than stirring a gearstick constantly. The layout of the dash and ancillary controls is somewhat dated (mine's the last of the previous model, an '06' plate) but not too hard to live with.

The ride was a bit rock-and-roll as it seems to have a slightly narrower track than other makes but I got some lovely AS Air Suspension fitted which has cured that. I do like the fact that it's rear-wheel drive but to be fair, haven't had that much opportunity to put it to the test in conditions where front-drive would have struggled. I had to chuckle at the municipal site at Issoire, France, a couple of weeks ago. We arrived in late evening after the previous day and night had seen heavy rain and minor flooding on the grassed pitches. The warden was adamant that I park with my front wheels just onto the roadway to aid traction!! I didn't have the language skills to have the conversation about front/rear drive but in the event when we left the following day we just drove straight off with no problems!

The main thing of note so far seems to be the quality of the shiny white paint that Mercedes applied.... not as shiny and good quality as many might have thought. Looking at the chassis underneath when the air suspension was fitted was a sobering experience.... more paint/waxoil etc to be applied at the end of the season methinks!

My beastie had only done 16,000 miles when I got her in February (still on her original tyres) and I've now put that up to 23,500....no problems so far.

Simon

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]Any members got a "Mercedes[/HI]" based motor home... ?

Anything to look out for...

Good Bad or indifferent...:Cool:

Ta... :thumb:

Watcher Mo, my bestest buddy who I normally travel in convoy with has a Merc. It has plus sides but he complains that his van rolls far more than mine on corners and it also moves about when stationary with people moving inside.

The rear wheel dive has considerably less track than the fwd wagons.

The latter problem was so bad that he has fitted ground jacks to raise the vehicle off the tyres, that has sorted that problem plus he can now throw away his Millenco ramps.
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You will be bored to death with a Merc Mo. They never go wrong, well at least mine doesn't. I dont know anything about this rust issue as mine is only 23 years old with no rust as yet. Perhaps in another 23 years I may have an issue so please ask then :RollEyes:.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Engines are great 2006 ish was a year they had issues with ECU's, but only effected a small number - not seen it yet on motorhomes for some reason.

Rust is an issue, mercedes do not underseal or protect commercial vehicles - if you get one, get a clean one and fill it with waxoyl or dintrinol and it will last forever!

Only mechanical issues with mercs are injector seals can go, and a pain to get out - and also glowplugs grow in, and can snap requiring the head to be removed. So put into garages for that, and then it is their problem! lol!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
IN A WORD MO,You cant beat them, ours is a pre all singing and dancing model mercs and is now 30years old its 3litr and strong as a horse and they have been known to achieve around 1million Km, not bad for a hitlers revenge,so all good in my eyes:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Sorry to be the only negative one here, but I had a 316 based motorhome with sprintshift, bought new, and it proved to be the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Most - but not all - the problems related to the sprintshift box which decided not to change gear several times. The most embarrassing was half way round a roundabout in Oban with a coachload of elderly people stuck behind me. It was allegedly fixed but after calling out the emergency merc response people (who to be fair were very good) several times I'd had enough and the van had to go.

I replaced it with the 250 base which, after the merc, was a revelation - much smoother and quieter, handled better due to its wider track, and did not have the annoying dash rattle that the merc had from new!

Maybe mine was the only unreliable one made, but I would not have another merc.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sorry to be the only negative one here, but I had a 316 based motorhome with sprintshift, bought new, and it proved to be the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Most - but not all - the problems related to the sprintshift box which decided not to change gear several times. The most embarrassing was half way round a roundabout in Oban with a coachload of elderly people stuck behind me. It was allegedly fixed but after calling out the emergency merc response people (who to be fair were very good) several times I'd had enough and the van had to go.

I replaced it with the 250 base which, after the merc, was a revelation - much smoother and quieter, handled better due to its wider track, and did not have the annoying dash rattle that the merc had from new!

No your not the only one the last 2 Mercs I owned were the most unreliable vehicles its ever been my misfortune to own. I would buy a merc chasis but it would have to be pre 2004 anything after that is too unreliable for me, but unfortunately that seems to apply to most vehicles.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I don't own a Merc but when we were looking to buy a new m/h I took one out for a test drive and within a couple of miles it went into some sort of emergency mode and would only do about 25 mph :Doh:

We went on to buy a 3.0L Peugeot base m/h which has loads of power and a timing chain:thumb:

May 29, 2012
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cheyenne 635se
Exp
since 2008
merc

hey mo me old mate you have seen mine the merc 4birth no problem with it but maybe a bit small for you as you have an rv but try one out when we meet up again you can try mine ok good hunting mervyn:thumb:

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013

I bought a 313 with Sprintshift, brand new on a 51 plate.
As you say, extremely unreliable box, and also had engine faults. Sold it after 2 years, and major agro with my dealer. Spent many days, traveling down the M6/M1 in limp mode, at 45mph. Unhappy dayz.

Bought an Lt35 after that. 3.0 litre 158, and still have it 10 years later. Great van, with the same rust issues the Sprinter has.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I don't own a Merc but when we were looking to buy a new m/h I took one out for a test drive and within a couple of miles it went into some sort of emergency mode and would only do about 25 mph :Doh:

We went on to buy a 3.0L Peugeot base m/h which has loads of power and a timing chain:thumb:

No they all do 25mph:RollEyes::winky::winky:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
downgrading Mo ? :roflmto:

Never say never, John... :winky:

7,985 when we got it,,, now 9,859 = 1,874 miles done
since we have had this one, 5 trips away and only got back home once with out finding problems or having problems.... :Sad::Angry:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
1997 until 2003 rust problems on all M.B. models due to a cost cutting managing director.BUSBY::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry to be the only negative one here, merc.

Not the only one. Remember the member who's Merc holed a piston and paid out £12K for a brand new one because Merc "don't recon engines". I seem to recall this was a known problem caused by something like faulty software. It was only just out of warranty.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Engines are great 2006 ish was a year they had issues with ECU's, but only effected a small number - not seen it yet on motorhomes for some reason.

Rust is an issue, mercedes do not underseal or protect commercial vehicles - if you get one, get a clean one and fill it with waxoyl or dintrinol and it will last forever!

Only mechanical issues with mercs are injector seals can go, and a pain to get out - and also glowplugs grow in, and can snap requiring the head to be removed. So put into garages for that, and then it is their problem! lol!

Ill bet you your CQ book it aint:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Never say never, John... :winky:

7,985 when we got it,,, now 9,859 = 1,874 miles done
since we have had this one, 5 trips away and only got back home once with out finding problems or having problems.... :Sad::Angry:

Should get 5 out of 5 problems with a Merc then Mo:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back