Seatbelts, or lack of them, in France (1 Viewer)

BentSpike

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
I have read so many conflicting articles about carrying passengers in the back without seat belts. In the UK it is not illegal to carry them. According to 'The Caravan Club' this is the same in France. I have read elsewhere that all passengers MUST be belted up in France.

Our van is four berth but only the cab seats have seat belts. I can't believe I'm the first to want to take passengers through France in this way. If you have any experience of this, please let me know how you got on. Did you need to hide your passengers behind drawn curtains or put them to bed in the fixed bed? Were you given any grief by the French authorities?

Both my passengers are in their 20's so not children. Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We were in France in July and had 5 travelling with 4 belted seats - 2 front seats, 1 x 3 point belt (Car Seat for baby) and 1 lap strap. This meant one of us travelled on a side facing setee unbelted. In the past we have travelled in the UK with adults sitting in the back of a Van (Rear Lounge) unbelted but that was our choice and I always asked if they were ok to travel like this.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I'm not sure but our. An says how many we can carry on our registration document (carte gris) if we are stopped and are carrying more then we are in trouble !!

Not sure about from other countries but will check with French neighbours :Smile:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It is a huge risk to travel without using seat belts, if an accident occurs it could result in loss of life!
My motorhome has two seat belts and is a 4 berth with two bench type seats without seat belts. If I were to travel with passengers on these seat's I would be breaking the law.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I dont know about the legal position but common sense suggests its madness to travel in a motorhome without a belted seat.

Unless it was an emergency I wouln't even contemplate it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I wont even mention then that when Mrs Colpot was unwell she travelled in the bed for an hour or so.

I am of the view than any accident involving a motorhome has the potential to be disastrous for belted as well as unbelted passengers which is why I drive defensively. I have regularly travelled on buses and coaches unrestrained and thought nothing of it. The speed with which some of these pass me makes me wonder why more people arent seriously hurt when they do crash.

For the majority of the times we are in the Motorhome there are just the two of us so we are both belted.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wont even mention then that when Mrs Colpot was unwell she travelled in the bed for an hour or so.

[HI]I am of the view than any accident involving a motorhome has the potential to be disastrous for belted as well as unbelted passengers [/HI]which is why I drive defensively. I have regularly travelled on buses and coaches unrestrained and thought nothing of it. The speed with which some of these pass me makes me wonder why more people arent seriously hurt when they do crash.

For the majority of the times we are in the Motorhome there are just the two of us so we are both belted.

I am sure thats right.

Surely though the risk escalates to unnecesarry levels if you are not belted.

Buses and coaches are a bit less vunerable than a caravan on wheels especially if sitting on side facing seats.

Just my opinion. Its up to everyone to do what they want.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Adults can make up there own minds to be stupid.
Children cant.

IMO any one who takes children in a motor vehicle without restraints cant think much of the kids.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BentSpike

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks to all those who answered. Not surprisingly really, there are arguments from both sides. It's been the same everywhere I've looked. Some say yes, others say no. Interestingly, I called The Caravan Club and they told me that although not recommended, it was not illegal to carry adult passengers in the back of the motorhome either in the UK or in France. Obviously I recognise they would be infinitely better off with seatbelts but we simply don't have them. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
up to a certain production year, cant remember which...possibly 2011, if no belts are fitted then it is legal to be unbelted.

after that year, if belts are fitted they must be used and no belt..no seat.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Try having a read of the article on the top right of the page on this link
www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazine

I know it's for Britain, but it may give you food for thought. :thumb:

interpret this how you will.....DVLA will.

it looks like it could apply to motorhomes and could be used as a defence in court.

https://www.gov.uk/seat-belts-law/if-your-vehicle-doesnt-have-seat-belts

If you compare the two links in the "quotes" it will either add to the information or confuse even more.

In my 2011 Comanche there are stickers attached to the two side facing bench seats. They have a picture of a person seated with a seatbelt across them and a large cross through the picture. Underneath it states "Non designated passenger seats". The stickers are very small and low down on the seat base, but if there was an accident, or I was just pulled over by the police while carrying someone in the back, and these stickers were noticed, I don't think I would get away with it.
Of course, the stickers could be removed :whistle:, but I believe I would still be illegal.

This will not be the last we hear about the subject I suspect. :winky:

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
It may not illegal to carry unbelted passengers but anyone injured and the police will prosecute for endangering life. It would also be interesting to get the insurers viewpoint on this. I bet they would fight any kind of a claim.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i dont think they will . untill oct 2011 they werent needed and still arent in upto 2011 m,homes . no offence commited . think you are imagining things .

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi ,all children under 12 are supposed to be belted.not so with adults .BUT until we stop buying motorhomes that manufacturers keep turning out as 4&6 berth ect when they do not have enough seatbelts nothing will change .Let them rot on the forcourt i say because its you and your kids lives that are at risk and in europe people do die in motorhome accidents every year ,are the manufacturers bothered NO.They just want your money.It should be mandatery you don`t buy a car with 1 seat belt in the rear ,nor should you buy a motorhome unless it has the correct number of belts per berth .Bearing in mind if a law came in tomorrow it could be 20 years before all the existing inadiquate vans might be off the road so this should be dealt with now.:Angry:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
It may not illegal to carry unbelted passengers but anyone injured and the police will prosecute for endangering life. It would also be interesting to get the insurers viewpoint on this. I bet they would fight any kind of a claim.

Certainly not! The OP asks about France and in France :

1) Children Under 12y old must be belted, if not fitted , no children in the car!
2) All vehicules built without belt escape the law, it's very simple. OP doesn't ask if according to you it's right or not, just if it's the law. All sensible people know what to do with their lives and their children's! I did say sensible didn't I ? Police doesn't have the choice either!
3) When you go to the insurer, he gives you a form to fill in and you have to answer which year is your vehicule, so they know if belt or no belt.

Hope it answers it all

Frankie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back