Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok,I've finally had to face up to the fact that the thin foam matresses in my little van are not up to the job. The whole set-up is like a Chinese puzzle and requires height or nine cushions, all of different dimensions to work both by day and night.

Money is tight so full luxury is not really an option but I would appreciate advice regarding minimum thickness and foam type/density to allow a good level of comfort. I was thinking of gaberdine to cover as it seems fairly cheap and hard-wearing but you may know of something even better. Also, and probably more importantly, does anyone know of an upholsterer who is reasonable near London? With my little van there is a distinct danger of the cushions ending up worth more than the van.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry, eight or nine, not height or nine. Auto spell thinks it knows better.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The easiest and cheapest way is to do as many others do in this situation. Get a mattress topper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
The easiest and cheapest way is to do as many others do in this situation. Get a mattress topper.

Yes, I was considering that. It would be much simpler wouldn't it? I'll have to see how much room they take. Do they roll up? My van is very wee indeed.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie

Yes, I was considering that. It would be much simpler wouldn't it? I'll have to see how much room they take. Do they roll up? My van is very wee indeed.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes they do roll up. It can be a struggle to roll them, I used to tie mine with a couple of belts when not in use when I had a U shaped lounge. But they are very comfortable.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
For the sake of space, I would eventually like to get new cushions, so I would still be interested if anybody knows of anyone, even if it's just to get a quote for now to see what I'm looking at financially.:Eeek:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If you only have a small budget

If there is a good seamstress at the school you teach, get a mattress topper, cut it to your cushions and get the seamstress to recover the lot.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

I'm in a similar situation to you, space-wise. I first went for a mattress topper + travel duvet from Dunelm Mill, and rolled the topper up using a belt and rubber bungee cord. But the foam was too soft and wouldn't stay flat.

I've now invested in a Link Removed and it's much better in terms of warmth and comfort, although it takes up just as much space as the old topper + duvet and costs a lot more. In transit it lies across the side facing seats and makes sure the fridge door never opens. Once parked up it either sits on the passenger seat or ends up in the utility tent.

It's big, it's pretty expensive, but getting a decent night's sleep is more important.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We bought a mattress topper at the Malvern show but I can't find a link to it online.

It was called a Travel Memory Foam Mattress and is covered with a lovely plush material.

It doesn't want to be rolled too tightly during storage or it will 'forget' how to be big and springy when you come to use it so it does take up quite a lot of space.

It does flatten out some of the ridges and troughs caused by the jigsaw puzzle of cushions which make up the bed.

Great night's sleep though! :thumb:

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
had a similar problem when caravanning, simple solution for comfort was a camping airbed and takes no space when deflated:Smile:

peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back