Calais Port (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Off to France Friday night, can you still part over night at Calais Port. I seem to remember something about you could no longer overnight.
Will stop at Cite de Europe if not.

Andy

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Off to France Friday night, can you still part over night at Calais Port. I seem to remember something about you could no longer overnight.

Andy

Andy .YES..They still park there no problem.... I have just left Calais port...they have opened the front part up the car park between the Aire and the sea just for motorhomers ..it says cars will be towed away.mmm...this extra part is open from July till the end of August.....from 5.6,7pm it starts to get busy and by 9,10,11pm the whole motorhome parking area is chocker full and motorhomes are parking outside the site and on the road (but police do move road parkers on) and I have seen about a dozen vans parked in the car park area over night where the pharmacy is ....it is still 7 euros for 24 hours.
By 7,8,9am in the morning the whole site seems to empty

It is the campsite above the aire that has been closed and dug up....

Mel

Last edited:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We stayed overnight at the aire at Calais Port
N50°57.958’ E001°50.624
in June for free because no one came to collect the fee. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

Andy

Also travelling over on Friday night, ferry to Dunkirk .:thumb:......... If the parking is likely to be chokker at Calais , consider Gravelines aire . Just up the road a few kilometres ... If still on high season rates , its €6 per night, otherwise €3

N 50°59'19.75 E 002°07'21.83

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I dont think Andy means the aire in town but the car park at the terminal itself..
On a past visit last year it was all changed and there were signs about parking fee's . Place was packed and so i just drove out again. I have seen vans over there but no idea if they are paying or not.. Used to use it all the time but now have been using Cite Europe or the free aire at Wissant.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi,
Where are you all off too.
We are not travelling until the 1st sept then off towards brittany.
:sin:Terry:sin:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We stayed overnight at the aire at Calais Port
N50°57.958’ E001°50.624
in June for free because no one came to collect the fee. ::bigsmile:

If you arrived after 6.30pm and left before 9.30 ish....that is when the collecting man calls:Doh:... BUT if you are one of honest motorhomers like shiftzzz and myself and many other motorhomers... you can take the money with your registration number and pay at the office at the old campsite...or put your money in an envelope with Gb registration on and place it in the old campsite office letter box....merci

It is only FREE from the 1st of November to the 1st ofApril......(the rest from the 1st of April to the 31st of October... it is 7 euros per 24 hours..unless it has changed)

If Andy is talking about the old Marina site...that is also 7 euros...per 24 hours ...BUT at the moment it has a Large Circus on ...the circus has been there for about one and half to two months now

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Also travelling over on Friday night, ferry to Dunkirk .:thumb:......... If the parking is likely to be chokker at Calais , consider Gravelines aire . Just up the road a few kilometres ... If still on high season rates , its €6 per night, otherwise €3

N 50°59'19.75 E 002°07'21.83

Gravelines for me::bigsmile: like a holiday in its self

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
If you arrived after 6.30pm and left before 9.30 ish....that is when the collecting man calls:Doh:... BUT if you are one of honest motorhomers like shiftzzz and myself and many other motorhomers... you can take the money with your registration number and pay at the office at the old campsite...or put your money in an envelope with Gb registration on and place it in the old campsite office letter box....merci.

We were not being dishonest. We just thought that the attendant couldn't be bothered to call on us. We have paid on previous occasions. We didn't even know that there was an 'old' campsite. If there had been a notice stating this, and giving directions to it, then we would have paid.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Gravelines for me::bigsmile: like a holiday in its self

Yes, we usually look for diferent aires each trip but can't resist Gravelines on the return journey. Spent all afternoon talking to our neighbours sitting overlooking the marina this year and got sunburnt!:Eeek:

Wyn

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you arrived after 6.30pm and left before 9.30 ish....that is when the collecting man calls:Doh:... BUT if you are one of honest motorhomers like shiftzzz and myself and many other motorhomers... you can take the money with your registration number and pay at the office at the old campsite...or put your money in an envelope with Gb registration on and place it in the old campsite office letter box....merci.

We were not being dishonest. We just thought that the attendant couldn't be bothered to call on us. We have paid on previous occasions. We didn't even know that there was an 'old' campsite. If there had been a notice stating this, and giving directions to it, then we would have paid.

I am not saying for on minute you are....:thumb:

There are two collecting men and they are very very busy as you can imagine motorhomers coming and going all the time so they have to double back and forward then back.. but eventually they do get around...you can have a look for him which our Hungarian neighbours did they took there number plate details 7 euros and came back with a ticket...
The old campsite is as you come into the port aire it is on the right hand side just before you turn into the site...(just before the bikes for rent on the road side and before you turn into the site past the Au Cote D' Argent restaurant)..they just use the office now..:thumb:
I hope this is of some help to you ...Mel.

In fact it was mentioned this week that one of the Attendants had been robbed in the last two weeks..How true this is I do not know.. as that info came from another motorhomer who stays there a lot over the summer, but the info did come from another person..how true it is ??? ....but the elderly ticket man is now not there ???

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Was speaking to one of the men who collect the money and he was saying that the Aire was going to be closed, and a new one built further out of town as a large concert hall is going to be built on that area and on the campsite

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Meant to post this :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 33

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Was speaking to one of the men who collect the money and he was saying that the Aire was going to be closed, and a new one built further out of town as a large concert hall is going to be built on that area and on the campsite

Hi Frogijock.. we just happened to be in the Calais vet with our dog at the same time as the (female) La Maire of Calais with her dog.....there are moves a foot she said to make a new campsite we think she said 4*....it was a bit vague but we think the La Maire said to the west of what is now the marina Aire....and there will also be two Aires...but that is as much comment as the lady would make...there are mooves a foot

Also the La Maire did say the old campsite was going to used for something like a educational /cultural type centre

Last edited:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010

I am not saying for on minute you are....:thumb:

The old campsite is as you come into the port aire it is on the right hand side just before you turn into the site...(just before the bikes for rent on the road side and before you turn into the site past the Au Cote D' Argent restaurant)..they just use the office now..:thumb:
I hope this is of some help to you ...Mel.[/quote]

No offence taken.

Thanks for the info.

Regards
Rob & Val

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Why Calais ???????

Marine Parade Dover overnight, then up early for the ferry to Dunkirk ( Only an extra 20 minutes ) I always catch the Saturday ferry then you have a lorry free weekend for the onward journey !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Confirmation, please............

Have I missed something? The OP referred to the Port of Calais and I am not clear that there has been an answer. We have stayed in the vehicle park near the terminal on a number of occasions over the last few years - we don't know the aire/old camp site being referred to, and have not been to Gravelines.
We will be crossing to Calais late on a Sunday evening in a few weeks time and were intending to stop at the Port. Is this still possible? If not could someone give directions to the aire?

BTW Stephen, we travel south from Scotland on Sunday, to avoid the heavy traffic, and then relax once we reach France::bigsmile:

OP
OP
andyman
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I dont think Andy means the aire in town but the car park at the terminal itself..
On a past visit last year it was all changed and there were signs about parking fee's . Place was packed and so i just drove out again. I have seen vans over there but no idea if they are paying or not.. Used to use it all the time but now have been using Cite Europe or the free aire at Wissant.

Spot on. I am sure i read or heard it had all changed. You used to be able to park next to the ticket office. I may just head to Cite de Europe.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
calais port parking

Hi, we tried to park on the ticket office car park at the end of july, it was around 2am saturday/sunday,
you can still park there but they have made it a lot smaller by making a large part of it a car park only ,,, with a height barrier in place.
The "motorhome" etc part was absolutley packed so we drove on and parked in a peage [/SIZE]service area.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have just returned from France. We had a late night Thursday crossing and tried Calais 1 aire......jam packed so headed off to gravelines....also heaving but the car park just before it had about 6 Motorhomes parked up already so we stopped there overnight. On our return we had an early a, crossing, got to Calais 1 around 3pm. It was fairly quiet but filled up gradually. I won't be doing it again though, whilst I really enjoyed the area, the beach and the ice dreams, I cannot cope with the blooming ferry noises. Drove me mad. Very convenient if you sleep heavily!!!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
from Calais take D940 through Bleriot -plage towards sandgatte, you will see large painted water tower on left then sailing lake. on the right hand side large sand dune with parking you can just see the tops of van`s as you past with beach huts on beach top with radar station. lovely and quite used it all the time to and from Calais.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back