Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
hi all, after reading various posts on this subject larger avatars etc etc, this is both my & ruth (aka ruthrv) own personal opinion on this matter.

We personally would have preferred to have remained anonymous in regard to our donation, for us it is not about recognition or all singing and dancing avatr's . the reason for our small contribution was solely to help jim run this site, remember if it weren't for Jim, Bryan, this fun site would not exist, Jim works exceedingly hard to make this site what it is (and it is improving all the time) Bryan with his technical skills also works endlessly so that the site runs as smoothly as possible, if this site did not exist where would you be still on MHF and still paying your subscription, they give up their time and relentless effort for which there is no monetary gain, so that we can have FUN, there are we are sure numerous expenses which are incurred, the marque, flyers, exhibition stands (which are not cheap) and all that is asked of us is to distribute some flyers and help to take down the marque, our only concern is that politics do not begin to creep onto the site, it is what it says on the can MOTORHOME FUN and both me and ruth have had plenty of that since becoming part of the motorhome fun community, if eventually there is an annual subscription of £10, thats less than a pound a month we would not object, but Jim is trying to ensure that this site is free remember no one has to make a donation it is everyones personal choice.:thumb:
tony & ruth

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Whilst I generally agree with what has been said up to now, I think that the fact sponsors are shown as such might encourage more members to donate thus helping to keep the site going. More funding will be required (I imagine) as the site grows, bigger server etc and anything that may provide more funds for this can only be a good thing. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Whilst I aggree with Tony to some degree, I have to say that I feel that Ksebruce has hit it right on the nose. If it isnt seen to be working then no one will put in. I would certainly be reluctant to donate if I thought I was the only one:Blush::. I would still like to see more donations been made, but hey thats life:thumb:.

Don

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I as usual have obviously missed something here. How did this Forum Sponsor commence. I am a little confused I have read through past threads where under no circumstances were subscriptions wanted. Yet now in big neon signs we show who has paid and who has not. Do not get me wrong quite prepared to make a donation but a little confused.:Doh:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Like don, i agree with the sentements expressed by ksebruce. I have no desire to be recognised as a doner but it would remind us all who value the site, that it costs a fair amount of brass [as we say north a the umber ] to run.
We have not as yet had the pleasure of associating with you guys, but we value the comradeship we derive by regularley loging on and joining in with the very friendly banter. :thumb:

pudseykeith

bigal

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 months
I agree with Tony. We have made many new friends since joining the Fun and what Jim & co are doing is fantastic. It's the first place I go now everytime I log on to the internet. It's like most things in life though, the more you put in, the more you get out of it.
I would willingly pay a subscription if it became necessary and think it excellent value.
Al

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
I think the point that Tony is trying to make is not whether or not to donate, but whether or not to have that label that says you have.

You could take the question one step further and say if you would like to be recognised as having donated some cash, would you like it known exactly how much?

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I think the point that Tony is trying to make is not whether or not to donate, but whether or not to have that label that says you have.

You could take the question one step further and say if you would like to be recognised as having donated some cash, would you like it known exactly how much?

you've got the point exactly Sharon
it's not I object to donations I'm all for it , but I don't feel the need to be recognised for so doing. I also feel it may pressurise others into feeling they have to when clearly they shouldn't feel pressurised

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thank You All.

Sorry Guys,

My intentions were not to open up a "can of worms" about this.

I did, in no way, feel pressurised to contribute.:Cool:

I did so, as a way of saying

"A BIG THANK YOU"

to everyone who has helped out in the past, and the untiring dedication of Jim, Bryan, their Families, and others who keep this site running.

Many Thanks to all. Link Removed

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Hi Sharon for me not a problem, the same as the other site a tenner, while I don't really care whether we have a label to say we have contributed or not, I feel that Jim will get more money with a label as some people will feel obliged to cough some cash because of it.

Olley

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Sorry Guys,

<SNIP>

"A BIG THANK YOU"

to everyone who has helped out in ther past and the untiring dedication of Jim, Bryan and others who keep this site running.

Many Thanks to all. Link RemovedLink Removed

Well Actually, I do feel pressurised to contributing and I think that's worse than actually charging a subscription. Comments such as "it would remind us all who value the site" indicate the feelings of those who have contributed. It's to avoid being tarred as uncaring that I'll donate.
I DO value this site and I'm actively trying to drum up some sponsorship.
Perhaps the question has to be asked, Is this a business, hobby or something else?

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well i bought a motorhome to live on the cheap!
I joined this group because it was free!
And personally i think its a bad idea!
I think it will put people off joining the group because they can browse as guests and not have the embarrasment!
Its starting to put me off a little already!
Looking at the poll results it looks more like a "keeping up with the neighbours" toy!
Also!
I don't think it will be much longer before there is commercial interest in this site!
What happens if Jim decides to sell?
We all contribute to the site with our posts!
I might feel more comfortable with the idea of buying shares in the site but even then it should stay annonymous in order to maintain the Free image the site grew on!

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Jim

May I have a mini pennant in me left hand box?

The potential for this to develop into an 'us' and 'them' may take some of the fun out of visiting the forum:cry:

Just a thought ... howzabout replacing the £ flash with a ':thumb::' for anyone who chooses to support the forum by purchasing a pennant/chucking a few bob in/handing out flyers/smiling a lot or whatever.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have to say the two thread that are running on this issue will be of great entertainment to the other channels administrator.

Lets just leave things as they are and go back to promoting Fun.

Fun is FREE to all:winky::thumb:so lets have just have Fun::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi all, I am sat reading in this in the sun at Newbury, just having a beer so it looks like we will be staying here the night::bigsmile:

Re the donations. This site will not close if we do not receive any donations, so please do not think that you need to donate, I have "sponsored" the site for the last 9 months and will continue to do so. That said I have been asked on numerous occasions about how people can donate to the site, some people just want to, my stock response is that the best way to sponsor the site is to buy a pennant or a sticker, this earns us money. However to date we have sold less that 20 pennants and maybe even fewer window-stickers! .
I have read with interest how the naming of donors might put others off, and I will mull this over and of course watch this thread. that said I do think that donors should be recognised in some way, but how to do it? Thanks Tony and Ruth for raising it..

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Jim

May I have a mini pennant in me left hand box?

The potential for this to develop into an 'us' and 'them' may take some of the fun out of visiting the forum:cry:

Just a thought ... howzabout replacing the £ flash with a ':thumb::' for anyone who chooses to support the forum by purchasing a pennant/chucking a few bob in/handing out flyers/smiling a lot or whatever.

I would be happier with the £ symbol removed:thumb:

maybe just member or furum sponsor in our title:winky:

Last edited:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ok i'll put it another way!
The ink cartridges for my printer cost about £30 a pop!
I must have used more than one set of cartridges printing Fliers, then handing them out!
I did it because i wanted to do my bit for the group!
I don't want a fancy badge?

There must be a thousand websites out there that claim to be free and after you join you see the intimidation technique used to get money out of you and feel ripped off!

This group didn't look like a con when i joined but its starting to look just like any other now!

I don't think thats what this group is about!
It always made me feel welcome like a family member!
This sponsor badge thing makes me feel different!

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Jim!
The reward donors get is a feeling inside they have done something good!
If they require anything else then they have done it for the wrong reasons!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have read with interest how the naming of donors might put others off, and I will mull this over and of course watch this thread. that said I do think that donors should be recognised in some way, but how to do it? Thanks Tony and Ruth for raising it..

I odn't think any of us want recognition Jim we donated simply in support of the site. I just thought things could be left as it it raised the questions "wots this" and "how do we donate" On reflection if it is making some members uncomfortable then its best removed as thats the last thing any of us want. ::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
The £ symbol is tacky:whatthe:

loose that and I think we would all be happier:thumb:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for the vote of confidence. If you think you are being conned you can of course can vote with your feet. :Smile:
I think i have been in this group long enough to know most of you and your intentions!
I know you have good intentions!
My point is newcomers don't and when they join a group like this they are suspicious and waiting for the punchline!
They will see this badge thing and think "i knew it was too good to be true"
Don't get me wrong!
Theres a girl in Peterborough who i have never met hit hard times and i put £100 in her bank account to help her out! (i had money at the time)
If this group was sinking i would float it!
But i was brought up in a council estate where i saw people rubbing my families noses in it and i find this badge thing just another tool for the same thing!

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
What's the F word?

clues:
It's not food
It's not an expletive
It's not a botty cough
It has Sodd Hall to do with Jock the Cook or his nightmares

feel free to add any more clues... the winner gets the chance to buy a Pennant:Cool:

S

stubon

Deleted User
Sorry Guys,

"A BIG THANK YOU"

to everyone who has helped out in the past, and the untiring dedication of Jim, Bryan, their Families, and others who keep this site running.

Many Thanks to all. Link Removed

Same here American dream :thumb:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What's the F word?

clues:
It's not food
It's not an expletive
It's not a botty cough
It has Sodd Hall to do with Jock the Cook or his nightmares

feel free to add any more clues... the winner gets the chance to buy a Pennant:Cool:
FRIENDS?

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

I must admit I am right behind Digger Drivers comments, and if I thought the site needed a contribution to keep it going then I would be there. I have bought my Window Sticker and am proud to display it, but I am against paying a membership for a site which relies on its readers contribution. I would not contribute to Motorhome Facts as it appeared to be a business and not a friendly community like this. I am also a member of the Motorhometoday community which is totally free and friendly too.
The only comment I would like to add is that big numbers of members may be good for statistics but if it is going to cripple the current resources then hold back a bit.
Whilst it may be nice to show Sponsers I think it could split the community, and force others away who do not wish to contribute or feel obliged to.
Why have so few Window Stickers and Pennants been sold, surely this should be the first step and we should be proud to display either and help reduce Jim's cost in the purchase of these.

David

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Hi Ken & Steph

Gordon Ramsay:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.