Tartan Tearaways

Free Member
Aug 14, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
Swift Carrera
Exp
Hi Everyone, I'm very new to Motorhomes..... we will be picking up our first motorhome next week having been in a campervan for years my bones can't take it anymore.... anyway... I'll need to be working at times and wonder can anyone recommend a good way of connecting to wifi while on the move... I've seen a thing on line called 'Hubba' from 'Connect Buzz'.... any thoughts on this or other ideas... Many thanks...Michelle

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
hi, I personally use a mifi from 3 on pay as you go. fine in this country.
Terry:sin:

I have a myfi from 3 too and its pretty good although I am adding tether to my iphone and thats all I can eat data

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tartan Tearaways

Tartan Tearaways

Free Member
Aug 14, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
Swift Carrera
Exp
Help with Wifi

Thanks guys... would I be able to access my laptop using this Mifi ? :Eeek:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Ref MIFI

Hi Michelle.. I got a MiFi thingy called HUWAUE ( I think thats how its spelt ) I bought it on line and it cost close to £50.. We took it to France and Spain and it worked fantastically well everywhere..We just got a local Sim card and bingo.. But you MUST buy one that is UNLOCKED.. That means you can put any Sim in it, including the one out of your phone.. It creates a hot spot "around you" so your wife/kids can use it at the same time.. Hope this helps Mitch and Jenny..:thumb:

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
being a bit thick can i ask how it works do you need a wifi point still or does it somehow create its own wifi??? :Doh:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It creates its own WiFI space around you and your immediate area and you can use up to 5 Phones/ tablets/computers etc.. Hope this helps you.. Mitch..

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Do bear in mind that many places where one may camp for the night are often remote so phone signals are not always available.

Having said that I use my Samsung S3 on Three, wherever possible, to produce its own wifi hotspot for the laptop.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
3 mifi has never failed me - other brands such as an 02 dongle I had once never worked! I would recommend three all day long. In fact, you could even knock your landline one on the head as the three is faster! :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We took it to France and Spain and it worked fantastically well everywhere.

I was ripped off mercilessly by Vodafone in Spain. I topped up £15 and it vanished in a day and a bit. Many rude words were uttered.

In the end I detected a local WiFi service and paid them about €20 for a month.

MiFi is a great tool when you get a signal. Absolutely nothing in Brecon and Malvern using the Vodafone SIM.

The motto is, you can't rely on mobile phone technology for 24/7 coverage everywhere. If OP needs this he/she is in trouble.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
if you are looking at picking up 'free' wifi from campsites or any other open source a wifi aerial is essential...unless you want to stand outside a possibly wet campsite reception with your phone/laptop picking up their signal. With an aerial you can get wifi in the comfort of your van...for that the money is already well spent for me. I have the early low powered version of this aerial which was fully waterproof and picked up lots of signals when they were available. Good alternative if you cant get a phone signal & are travelling multiple countries

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231021344599&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1563wt_1249"]20dBi USB WiFi Booster Directional Antenna Motorhome/Caravan Aerial & Mount | eBay[/ame]

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Hi Michelle.. I got a MiFi thingy called HUWAUE ( I think thats how its spelt ) I bought it on line and it cost close to £50.. We took it to France and Spain and it worked fantastically well everywhere..We just got a local Sim card and bingo.. But you MUST buy one that is UNLOCKED.. That means you can put any Sim in it, including the one out of your phone.. It creates a hot spot "around you" so your wife/kids can use it at the same time.. Hope this helps Mitch and Jenny..:thumb:

Are u using this with laptop or android tablet. we want one to use with our nexus 10 in France .:RollEyes:

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
In fact would anyone using a dongle with nexus 10 let us know which one. Also what is the best sim card to use with it. Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are u using this with laptop or android tablet. we want one to use with our nexus 10 in France .:RollEyes:

you can connect ANY wifi enabled device to a MIFI unit...even wireless printers and possibly even wireless enabled camera's to upload files to a. computer...though i dont have a wifi camera so i dont know for sure. :Doh:

the units primary roll is to become a wireless hotspot, in the same way as your wireless router/hub at home but it uses a mobile phone signal instead of a landline connection.

units such as the latest Huawei S5332 will connect up to 8 wifi gadgets at the same time.

Last edited:

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
I was thinking more of the size of the cable connector. The size of the laptop one is bigger than the one you would need for the nexus . unless of course the dongle comes with both connect ions or you buy cables separately. Wish i was more techno savvy. :cry:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I was ripped off mercilessly by Vodafone in Spain. I topped up £15 and it vanished in a day and a bit. Many rude words were uttered.

In the end I detected a local WiFi service and paid them about €20 for a month.

MiFi is a great tool when you get a signal. Absolutely nothing in Brecon and Malvern using the Vodafone SIM.

The motto is, you can't rely on mobile phone technology for 24/7 coverage everywhere. If OP needs this he/she is in trouble.

If you are going to Spain and want internet via a Huawei mifi get a data sim from Masmovil. Have cancelled my landline internet at my house there and now solely use the mifi. Costs very reasonable, I can check my costs on line at any time and park the number when I don't need it, they can put it back on immediately when I ring them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was thinking more of the size of the cable connector. The size of the laptop one is bigger than the one you would need for the nexus . unless of course the dongle comes with both connect ions or you buy cables separately. Wish i was more techno savvy. :cry:

WiFi and MiFi connect by wireless. No cables.

WiFi is what you get in Macdonalds and your house if you have a WiFi router.

MiFi is a mobile phone with no display or keyboard which links the mobile phone data service to your laptop/tablet via WiFi. You put in a SIM just like a mobile and need a PAYG or monthly contract.

You will also see USB/WiFi dongle/aerials - now these plug into a USB port in your laptop/tablet and connect to that Macdonalds or home WiFi. You can get a "booster" type with sensitive aerial that connects to Macdonalds etc from a hundred metres or more.

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Thanks Brian . That makes things clearer. Good to know someone has a grasp on these things:ROFLMAO:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If anyone would find it easier to talk this through on the phone, you can give Sophie or myself (Adam) a call, we'd be more than happy to talk you through all of the options with regards to internet on the move.

We're not very good sales people and indeed spend a lot of this weekends Malvern show talking to Funsters about the different options for WiFi on the move. If we're not happy you know what you're buying - we'll tell you to go and have a think about it, or ask another funster what they think. If you buy one of our products - great - but if we have nothing that you need or is suitable, we'll happily tell you so.

If you're interested in the 'Hubba' device you have seen advertised, we can supply this as well for a better price.

If you have any direct questions, I'd be happy to answer the on the forum.

Adam & Sophie
www.motorhomewifi.com
Motorhome WiFi (0113 815 1120)

Last edited:

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 3 mifi with 15gb a month allowance for £21.10 but it is a 2 year contract.

Broken Link Removed

They give you a huawei router so you can use upto 5 wifi devices, phones laptops tablets etc. The router can be unlocked easily too so if your touring in Europe you can use French Spanish or German sims to still access the internet.

If you have BT broadband at home you can use BT FON I use this a lot. BT routers reserve a small amount of internet data for BT customers to access to the FON network. The FON network is worldwide so if you are in France for example you can still access the network from your BT account.

https://www.btfon.com/

They also have an android app called smart talk so you can use your home phone network to make calls even from another country check it out

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=35287

Hope this helps in some way.

Happy travels

Gary:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If anyone would find it easier to talk this through on the phone, you can give Sophie or myself (Adam) a call, we'd be more than happy to talk you through all of the options with regards to internet on the move.

We're not very good sales people and indeed spend a lot of this weekends Malvern show talking to Funsters about the different options for WiFi on the move. If we're not happy you know what you're buying - we'll tell you to go and have a think about it, or ask another funster what they think. If you buy one of our products - great - but if we have nothing that you need or is suitable, we'll happily tell you so.

If you're interested in the 'Hubba' device you have seen advertised, we can supply this as well for a better price.

If you have any direct questions, I'd be happy to answer the on the forum.

Adam & Sophie
www.motorhomewifi.com
Motorhome WiFi (0113 815 1120)

I got one of the motorhomewifi things last summer called iboost.

It's quite expensive but I would estimate it has already paid for itself.

Even if you can't find free wifi it saves you money if there are 2 or 3 of you in the van.

In France earlier this month wifi was something like 20 euros for 40 hours. With my iboost I had myself, my wife, son and daughter all using their iPads using the iboost as a hotspot. When my brother and his family arrived they were about 5 pitches away from us but by giving them my password for the iboost they connected as well.

I really do recommend it:thumb:

PS - as the name suggests it really does boost signal strength as well.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back