Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi again we are now mobile with our transit hi cube conversion and have had one or two trips which we have enjoyed and now want to add a tv system. Complete lack of knowledge so lots of help needed as to what we would need for an economical start up. Yesterday we saw a Ross mobile satellite receiver for£59.99 in Aldi and wondered if it would be of any use and what would be needed to get this installed. I have been reading the forum and there seems to be a mass of alternative systems. Receivers, satellite dishes satellite finders etc. So you see loads of help needed in easy lessons.Thanks ........Bruce

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
First thing to check is does it have a 12V lead.

Plenty of these "satellite in a suitcase" kits around. Maplin usually have them. A million on ebay.

People have been known to go mad setting one up whilst others throw the dish on the ground and get perfect reception.

Someone said at Malvern "free standing is good, if there's something in the way, like a tree, I can move the dish".

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the Aldi setups do work but it takes a bit of time locating the satellite you want.
the dish quality is not very good unless they started using metal dish's instead of plastic.

its doubtful it will work in the Scottish highlands....too small.

unless things have changed they come with a myriad of mounting options....various clamps and suckers....can even be use IN the carry case if you want, adjusting the angle of the case lid alters the elevation.

the receivers are a very basic but do the job and run on 12v or 230v without a bulky transfomer.

I still use the supplied receiver, a PORTY, 7 years on and it still works fine, though i did have to manually update it to receive some channels...new ones wont need updating.

my current setup is a house type quad lnb SKY mini dish on an old camera tripod feeding two receivers...the PORTY in the bedroom and a ZEHNDER in the lounge area.
the dish cost £17 c/w 20 mtrs of cable and i already had the tripod.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hello Bruce,
we bought the aldi sat system back in may, and used it our recent trip to Luxemburg, Germany,& Belgium we had a perfect picture at every stop, we know how to live mate sat on the rhine watching corry & emmerdale:cry:
ive been told the receiver is one of the best you can get, they do come with both mains and 12v leads,

Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ive got an aldi kit sat in a cupboard but prefer to use my spare sky box from home. the aldi kit is good for the money but the dish is too small and can be awkward to align. the decoder box that comes with it is excellent but only receives the free to air channels on satellites with only a limited number being in english.

with the sky box, I have a speaker tripod which is very stable and a triax dish with folding LNB arm so it folds up smaller for travelling. having the choice of channels we subscribe to at home is excellent as we dont have to go searching for something reasonable to watch

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
aldi sat

Hello Bruce,
we bought the aldi sat system back in may, and used it our recent trip to Luxemburg, Germany,& Belgium we had a perfect picture at every stop, we know how to live mate sat on the rhine watching corry & emmerdale:cry:
ive been told the receiver is one of the best you can get, they do come with both mains and 12v leads,

Eric
Thanks for the info going to get one tomorrow. Enjoy your retirement we did it six weeks ago and have been away twice got lost twice with a cheap Binatone sat nav (xmas from son) Its somewhere on a Welsh road now But undeterred.................Bruce

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I use a humax foxsat reciver/recorder with a vuqube, which is a portable remote control dish in a box thingy, which I place on the roof or the ground depending on trees/line of sight.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back