Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi everyone,

I`ve been stalking you good folks for a few months learning a lot about motorhomes and related topics as I`m completely new to it.

Despite my best efforts to introduce my wife to motorhomes, she is very much a "two weeks in the sun 4/5* hotel" kind of woman and is appalled at the thought of a motorhome, (despite looking at some superb models way out of our price range).
As an easy going kind of guy I`ve along with the package holiday thing for 25 years but now the kids have flown the nest I would really like to have some adventures.
I`d like to explore the many places in GB & Ireland I`ve not been to then when I`ve got some experience, head over to the continent.
But.....my question is, do I.....

A - forget about the motorhome dream and take up golf / fishing
B - find solace in large quantities of beer
C - go alone if she won`t come (and tolerate the earache upon return)
D - get a new wife

All suggestions considered

Chris

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi everyone,

I`ve been stalking you good folks for a few months learning a lot about motorhomes and related topics as I`m completely new to it.

Despite my best efforts to introduce my wife to motorhomes, she is very much a "two weeks in the sun 4/5* hotel" kind of woman and is appalled at the thought of a motorhome, (despite looking at some superb models way out of our price range).
As an easy going kind of guy I`ve along with the package holiday thing for 25 years but now the kids have flown the nest I would really like to have some adventures.
I`d like to explore the many places in GB & Ireland I`ve not been to then when I`ve got some experience, head over to the continent.

[HI]golf is a waste of a nice walk in the countryside, but fishing is excellent for chilling, using your mh as a base[/HI]
[HI]nothing wrong with beer, wine or other tipples[/HI]
[HI]sounds like an excellent but brave plan[/HI]
D - get a new wife
[HI]now youre talking, but getting rid of the body of the old one can be tricky[/HI]

Chris

seriously though talk your wife into trying it just once to get rid of her prejudices and hire a nice van for a week :thumb:

motorhoming is like marmite and you will either love it or waste a couple of grand a year on holidays with nothing left but a fading tan for the money. on the other hand with a motorhome, you can get a weekend away or 6 months tour anytime you choose as its always available

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Your wife sounds the same as mine 4/5star hotels / cruise
BUT kept going to look at MH'S and eventually convinced her that we should buy one. Now she thinks its great weekends away when we want (every 2nd one) and just had 3 week tour round UK But beware she is now looking at a river cruise or cruise for Oct so it's all about getting the balance right

New wife probably not as cost to much

Drown your sorrows in beer sounds like an idea

Going yourself not much fun and much grief when you get home

SO keep chipping away and hopefully you will get your MH and enjoy it with your wife

As I said its about compromise and getting a balance so you are BOTH HAPPY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You could explain the benefits of a motorhome holiday!

-No degrading search at airport security.

-The ability to move on at negligible financial penalty if your chosen spot is rubbish.

-YOU choose the menu, none of yesterday's reheated buffet here!

-It is better for the environment, fewer jet miles!

-No excess baggage charges.

-No popping ears unless you come SKIING!

-You have a free mini-bar!

-You don't have to share your chosen transport with an Islamic terrorist, unless your wife is one!

-Crashing doesn't always mean certain death!

-The holiday starts the moment you lock your house door!

-No airport parking to pay, your car won't have been rallied in your absence!

-You won't feel like cattle at auction at the start and end of your trip!

-Good luck!!:thumb:

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Could you buy the Motorhome and hire a wife for holiday use? I believe there's some bargains to be had in Thailand.

Alternatively, buy a small MH, leave the Missus at home and go on solo weekend trips.

Golf? Just say no.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, if it was me, I would be reading an excellent blog like this one from members Adam and Sophie.:thumb:

http://www.europebycamper.com/

Keep talking about it, then hopefully she will be thinking................. :winky: brilliant why cant we do that! :roflmto:

Then you hire a motorhome, plan a trip together, and if she still does not like it, put her on the next plane/ train home.:ROFLMAO:

When you get home in bigger trouble than you could ever imagine, then you decide if its for you or not.:whatthe:

After all some people like playing golf. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
Hi everyone,

D - get a new wife

Chris

I think all has been said here. I wanted to MH - My wife didnt. Persuaded her to come on a hire in scotland for a week. flew up hired the van went on the circuit round the west coast. SHe loved it. I think its some sort of "nesting" thing. Once she saw that there was a loo and a shower and there was no need to go to the toilet blocks in the night, and there was a kitchen and cosy bed to look after -SOLD

Now every weekend spent at home is "wasted" in her eyes.

Hire one and have a go...... :thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi Chris, We have had tents, trailer tents, VW Dormobiles etc; through our earlier lives and always enjoyed the outdoor life. My wife hates the 'cattle class' way of travelling to the sun and gets bored being in one place too long. And wasn't interested in a MH at all.
So when we got invited to a wedding in the USA, i booked an RV for 18 days, instead of an hotel.
She was bitten by the bug so to speak. Complete comfort, and taking sights we would never had the chance to see ordinarily.
I am not saying go for an RV, they are not for everyone, but, to rent and try, before you buy.
You and your wife may well love it, or loath it.
We have had some glorious breaks in our RV, and to see England at it's best, makes you glad to be on the road.
Good luck,

Craig

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
What is motorhoming? It’s about freedom, real freedom, going where you want when you want, being surrounded by your own things, not continually emptying suitcases, filling suitcases, sleeping in beds that are too soft or too hard.

It’s about enjoying the scenery around you. It’s about the people you meet who have the same interests as you, sharing information about beautiful places to visit.

It’s about the pace you do things at. It’s about control. It’s about seeing places you would not normally see.

If you arrive at a place and decide it’s not what you expected, then you can move on to somewhere better - you're not stuck there until the end of your holiday.

It’s about escaping and chasing the sun - arriving at Calais and deciding to head north, south or east. If it’s raining in the direction you are going, then change direction!

You have your own personal lounge, dining room, bedroom, kitchen, shower/wash room and loo that you can transport to wherever you want to go.

Our 'van is our cottage in the country and our beach hut when on the coast. It's a seat by the window in a restaurant with the best view possible, and without an inflated bill when the meal is over - although you do have to do the washing up! Our 'van is a mobile hotel with potentially a fantastic view from the bedroom, the kitchen and even the loo ...

A motorhome enables you to make the very most of every free day that you have and gives you the opportunity to get away from 'the maddening crowd'.

Once your wife has tried it, we feel sure that she will enjoy it.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
What is motorhoming? It’s about freedom, real freedom, going where you want when you want, being surrounded by your own things, not continually emptying suitcases, filling suitcases, sleeping in beds that are too soft or too hard.

It’s about enjoying the scenery around you. It’s about the people you meet who have the same interests as you, sharing information about beautiful places to visit.

It’s about the pace you do things at. It’s about control. It’s about seeing places you would not normally see.

If you arrive at a place and decide it’s not what you expected, then you can move on to somewhere better - you're not stuck there until the end of your holiday.

It’s about escaping and chasing the sun - arriving at Calais and deciding to head north, south or east. If it’s raining in the direction you are going, then change direction!

You have your own personal lounge, dining room, bedroom, kitchen, shower/wash room and loo that you can transport to wherever you want to go.

Our 'van is our cottage in the country and our beach hut when on the coast. It's a seat by the window in a restaurant with the best view possible, and without an inflated bill when the meal is over - although you do have to do the washing up! Our 'van is a mobile hotel with potentially a fantastic view from the bedroom, the kitchen and even the loo ...

A motorhome enables you to make the very most of every free day that you have and gives you the opportunity to get away from 'the maddening crowd'.

Once your wife has tried it, we feel sure that she will enjoy it.

Nail on the head Rob & Val. If I didn’t already have a MH your post would have convinced me to get one.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you all so very much for your replies and encouragement, I`m going to (try) to find a way for her to read them all without her seeing my original post, ref D - find a new wife !

I think a weeks hire in Scotland is the way forward so I`ll plan that for next year. I`m sure I can talk her into that.

When is the midge season in Scotland ?

Thanks again

Chris

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Midges usually worst from May till Sept but really depends on the weather.
Have found humid overcast days especially near the water are worst

Try buying Avon skin so soft as a repellent. Not personally tried it though..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Obvious, safest solution is hire one.

A motorhome is for travelling. A few days or a week here, move on. If you want more than a week buy a caravan.

If you/she wants sun/sea for a few weeks in one place then the best option is fly/hotel.

If you do hire one then think like a double glazing salesman. What will present the package in your favour ? Short and sweet with fingers crossed or go for broke with a couple of weeks on Lake Garda. If a couple of weeks on Lake Garda does not convince her then without doubt go for divorce. Ground, unreasonable conduct.

Or since you are on Lake Garda, do it the Mafia way, few blocks of concrete, problem solved. She went for a swim, never came back.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
That`s a shame, perhaps if you can get her to try it might swing it your way.

When last year I said to my husband I am going to buy a Motor home, his reply was, mmm!! must be an age thing, in spite of the comments I did just that. He said he will not sleep in the MH, it hasn't the space that the caravan has, so not as comfy.:RollEyes:

We have a large caravan, but is only used for about 5-6 weeks in total all year, we go to one place and stop there, this we have done for over 20 years my husband doesn`t like the coast, and I love it, would love to live near the sea, so now it is my turn, before I get too old to do it.

As my Daughter has moved to Norfolk, I can go with my dog and stay near her, also visit friends and family further afield. which is what I do.:thumb:

I do hope your wife comes round to your point of view. I do not like package holidays, prefer to do my own thing. You cannot beat the freedom.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
hilldweller - I really like your "going for broke" thinking on this, Lake Garda sounds excellent.
I`ll start the research, on MHFun of course.

Thanks,

Chris

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Why a motorhome?

Chris,we're loading "Matilda" as we speak.In a few days will be in Inverness ( despite the weather lol:roflmto: ).Each trip is an adventure,in addition to everything already stated,we are going to the familiar and hoping to explore more of what we have yet to see.Take your own home with you,no returning to base less you wish to.In September it's North Wales then,later on ,down to the M.I.L. in Kent.:Doh:As stated,rent one for a few days,that's what we did,although having said that,that's what helped me pick a van convert! But there's the point,we could make an informed choice.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
D new wife sounds favourite, although to be fair we havn't seen the present one, so do you feel you could do better?:winky:
Seriously though perhaps a MH show & introduce her to some motorhomers? Then again maybe not this lot.:ROFLMAO:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I muted at option D last year when wife was not sure on going to Morocco and said I was still going, soon changed her mind !!!:thumb:

Rental would be an ideal way forward BUT ,!! Get the wrong weather, bad planning ie not knowing where to stop etc and you may put her off for ever..
We were talking about this at recent rallies and shows where people see you sat in the sun having a BBQ and beer. They must be thinking "thats the life" but what about a cold, muddy rain soaked day it's a bit different then..

Good luck, I dont think motorhoming is for everyone But maybe thats a good thing for us that do love it. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hilldweller - I really like your "going for broke" thinking on this, Lake Garda sounds excellent.
I`ll start the research, on MHFun of course.

Thanks,

Chris

My pleasure.

First Johns Cross on here will rent you one that will get there and back.

Second. Pesciera del Garda and Camping Butterfly or Camping Cappuccino are the sites to visit.

You need to search "the italian job" or "Pesciera" on here for shedloads of information.

We were on Garda for the XXXXXth time a couple of months ago, it's the ultimate tourist trap.

Our first time in Italy was Lake Maggiore, by bike, about 20 years ago. Since then everywhere else is second place to Italy.

Good luck.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In a few days will be in Inverness ( despite the weather lol:roflmto: )

The reason we bought a MH. It was a case of "Oh we keep riding to Italy and Spain, we should do Scotland".

We "did" Loch Ness travelling by bike to rent a boat to "do" Loch Ness.

After what the weather did to us we went out and bought a MH.

Without doubt Scotland is a joy when it's sunny and the midges fall asleep but how often is this !!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The reason we bought a MH. It was a case of "Oh we keep riding to Italy and Spain, we should do Scotland".

We "did" Loch Ness travelling by bike to rent a boat to "do" Loch Ness.

After what the weather did to us we went out and bought a MH.

Without doubt Scotland is a joy when it's sunny and the midges fall asleep but how often is this !!

Oh crumbs Brian, what hurts me is that I HAVE to agree with you again! I live in Scotland but seriously the rain,wind and when that lot stops ........the midges............!!! Yep, we are off to the continent for a few adventures (Italy will have to wait a little while tho) :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yep, we are off to the continent for a few adventures (Italy will have to wait a little while tho) :Smile:

Well enjoy wherever you go.

Italy is not far. The quick way is stop at Metz ( filling with €1.2 fuel in Luxembourg ), Lucerne ( glorious typically Swiss city ) then Maggiore or Garda. That route has some of the best scenery in Europe. You need to buy a Swiss vignette which is cheaper than French tolls. Go via Lille to Metz and avoid French Tolls.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back