Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
A reminder to all that from today those advanced stop lines (the cycle boxes at junctions) become enforceable with Three points and a fine..
.. Another attack on the motorists :Angry:

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
A reminder to all that from today those advanced stop lines (the cycle boxes at junctions) become enforceable with Three points and a fine..

Far from another attack on the motorists.

Drive within the regulations and you will not be stopped. You have the choice of a fine and points, or an education course if you don't.

ONLY A FOOL BREAKS THE TWO SECOND RULE.

The Highway Code lays down the rules. Stick within the rules. There is no excuse for not doing so.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp

I fail to see how this is an attact on motorists, the box is there to assist cyclist, to many motorist edge or drive into the box with no regard to the safety of cyclist.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I agree!

I tire sometimes of the fabled 'Motorist'. That most noble of members of society, always right, always above the law and so sadly persecuted by the police.
Rubbish!!!!
If you drive a vehicle in an illegal manner, you get punished. End of! Its time to man up folks, having a driving license doesn't give you immunity from the laws of the land!

Rant over!!!::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Sorry, what's a cycle box:Eeek:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Another-- Don`t pull out if some one flashes you out, it`s a scam and someone will drive in to you and claim, saying you pulled out in front of them :Eeek:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Glad you asked - I am struggling as well:Blush:
It's the box at the front at junctions, traffic lights etc and usually has a drawing of a bike on it, that's if your not already in the box and can't see the drawing. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's the box at the front at junctions, traffic lights etc and usually has a drawing of a bike on it, that's if your not already in the box and can't see the drawing. :thumb:

I can't remember seeing any to be honest.

I always thought you had to be tight to the line at traffic lights in order to execute a racing start.

You watch Lewis Hamilton he is tight to his grid box at the start.

OP
OP
sdc77

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
cyclestreets31947-size350.jpg

How many people even knew these were enforceable.. And have been for 18 years
Roads were / are built for vehicular traffic.. Not cycles.. They should be building cyclones and tracks not adapting junctions like this..
In London a good percentage of cyclists just ignore junctions anyway and either use the pavement or cycle by the credit lights.
Cyclists are anonymous with no insurance and immune from most road trafficegislation.. Cars are an easy target..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
cyclestreets31947-size350.jpg

Roads were / are built for vehicular traffic.. Not cycles.. They should be building cyclones and tracks not adapting junctions like this..
In London a good percentage of cyclists just ignore junctions anyway and either use the pavement or cycle by the credit lights.
Cyclists are anonymous with no insurance and immune from most road trafficegislation.. Cars are an easy target..

Honestly don't think I have ever seen one, are they all green or just lines on the road:Blush:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Utter Rubbish being spouted here !!!

.. [HI]Another attack on the motorists [/HI]:Angry:

Why not have dig at Horse riders as well, and what about pedestrians having the gall to use the road !!:Doh:

Cycles were in abundance way before the horseless carriage !

You are deffo on a loser on this one pal !!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
They (red boxes) started springing up around here a few years ago. They protect cyclists (or allow them to obstruct motor vehicles depending on your point of view) and also allow larger vehicles such as buses to turn onto narrow streets. I have not seen any green ones though, surely the should be standardised.
My point is, these things just started appearing and there was NO accompanying publicity. Is being able to read the minds of planners a driving test requirement. It wasn't when I took mine.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I wonder if they should bring back the public service announcements that used to appear on TV. They were often used to remind road users of how they should conduct themselves in various traffic situations, and explain these kind of road features.

e.g.:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXkYvs-NbM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Public Information Film - Pedestrian Crossing - YouTube[/ame]
Wyn

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

They've always been enforceable. I guess the change is that there is now a specific on-the-spot fine available.

The law says that if there are two stop lines, you must stop before the first, if possible, but always before the second. I.e. ending up in the cycle part because you couldn't stop before the first line but there wasn't time to go through the second is not an offence. However, if you trundle over the advanced line when you could have easily stopped, it is an offence.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
They (red boxes) started springing up around here a few years ago. They protect cyclists (or allow them to obstruct motor vehicles depending on your point of view) and also allow larger vehicles such as buses to turn onto narrow streets. I have not seen any green ones though, surely the should be standardised.
My point is, these things just started appearing and there was NO accompanying publicity. Is being able to read the minds of planners a driving test requirement. It wasn't when I took mine.

There will never be any publicity. The responsibility is with you so that you cannot claim ignorance of the law in your defence.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

I do remember some publicity when they were introduced. About 25 years ago. However, they don't really need publicity. It is obvious what they are there for. The road surface colour has no bearing on the box, just like with bus lanes. It is the solid white lines that have the authority. Many are unpainted.

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Cyclists are anonymous with no insurance and immune from most road trafficegislation.. Cars are an easy target..[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but why would I be anonymous? I cycle I pay my tax on both my car and m/h. Why are all cyclists tarred with the same brush. Some motorists are really crap drivers does that make all drivers crap? I am also insured when on my bike with third party insurance and the bike is insured on my home policy when at home, so I pay in effect two lots of insurance.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I fail to see how this is an attact on motorists, the box is there to assist cyclist, to many motorist edge or drive into the box with no regard to the safety of cyclist.

I cant speak for other towns but the cycle 'box' at traffic light controlled junctions (we only have them at lights) never have cyclists in them.

the reason....they have either jumped a red light, carrying on across the junction regardless or took to the footpath to avoid the red lights and rejoin the carraigeway further on.

perhaps the police should concentrate on cyclists ignoring the rules a little more..after all, road rules are for all traffic not just cars.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I agree!

Rubbish!!!!
If you drive a vehicle in an illegal manner, you get punished. End of!
Rant over!!!::bigsmile:

I think folks who use the phrase "end of" are attempting to stifle debate.
And just to prove the point...I disagree with this post out of principle...I might disagree with it on principal........ but I'm not sure :)

barry:Smile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Could someone point me to the source of this story? Encroaching on an advanced stop zone has always been illegal - and if you didn't know what they were, you really should be ashamed - but never enforced. Reason was, as I understand it, was that the offence was deemed to be 'going through a red light' which the police felt too severe a punishment for failing to respect an area of carriageway set aside for the safety of cyclists. I've had a quick look at the publicity around tailgating, lane hogging etc but haven't seen any mention of ASLs.

And by the way - remember that no matter how careless, stupid or irresponsible a cyclist may be, s/he is never going to kill or injure a motorist. The law, rightly, recognises that being in charge of a ton of moving metal demands a higher degree of responsibility. If you don't want, or can't manage, that responsibility, don't drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back