Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
We have a 2010 registered N&B with dometic fridge freezer which has been working fine for 2 years, we normally keep it on hook up whilst at home.
During the hot weather it decided to defrost with all of the contents, luckily saved them.
However not it is hit or miss if it wants to work on either ehu or gas:Sad:
I had it on ehu yesterday and the freezer only went down to -5 (should be -18) so last night switched over to gas and it is still only -5.

Spoke to the dometic man on the phone and he said it could be the chiller unit which would be £400 :cry:

This could be the straw that broke the camels back, as the list of problems we have had on this van is huge:Angry: some problems fitted under warranty but now it is getting silly.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:thumb:
Martin

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Turn it all off and let it defrost and sit for a couple of days (24 hours at least) and then turn it back on running on gas. See what happens. In my experience chillers either work or dont work (if the coolant escapes it's normally empty in less than a day).

I assume you're parked fairly level? On a slope and the fridge efficiency is very much reduced.

If the system works on gas then try mains electric.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
the classic last ditch attempt to revive it is to take it out, and stand it upside down for a few hours. This usually works for a fair while but it wont last for years. The level advice is crucial when the weather is warm, and some fridges advise only 3 or 4 degrees from level.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe turn over only works if the fridge has been unused for an extended period.

the coolant and carrier gas separate out and need remixing...hence turn it over and give it a shake

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
absorption fridges only cool to a max of around 25 deg below ambient temperature.

so, if the ambient (room) temp is 20 deg the internal temp will only reach -5 deg.....30deg = +5 etc

but of course, the less the door is opened the longer food will remain frozen.

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Arto fridge

We also have an Arto on a 59 plate so just a bit older than yours. We have had several faults with the fridge/freezer including failure of the automatic locking which led to the fridge door coming completely off when we were in the centre of Spain. This year we have had to have the mother board replaced as there was no way of switching the fridge off and everything froze in it. Now we have a problem with water condensing when we are on battery and at the end of a journey we have water leaking out over the floor.
We have someone from Sylmar Services who are based in Shropshire and are Dometic Agents coming to look at our fridge next week. They are helpful and although they are not in your area it may be worth giving them a call for advice. Travelworld, the N+B dealers do use their services but they do not work for Travelworld. Their number is 01630 638005 or 695549.
One of our other disappointments with the Arto is the poor quality of the leather seating. The armrests are all cracked and worn in a van that has not had a lot of use.
Hope you get your fridge sorted
Elizabeth :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Thanks for all of your useful suggestions, our drive is on a slope facing down. I have moved it to another part of the drive which is pretty level, and the freezer is now on gas and reading -15 ::bigsmile:.
I hope that was the problem as we are off on holiday tomorrow to Padstow:thumb:

Thanks again.

Elizabeth, we have had a lot of problems including Ducati base vehicle,
New McPherson suspension strut
New throttle control sensor
Cab air-conditioning repaired.
External lighting failure (found to be a wiring problem caused when Travelworld fitted towbar)

Motorhome problems were.
New shower tray (cracked)
New heiki roof
Truma heater repaired ( faulty board)
Gas hob not lighting (bad connection)
Electric steps intermittent (bad wiring)
Door sticking shut :Eeek: ( only one door)
Sink waste leaking where it joined grey water tank ( flooded under floor storage)

Our part leather seats seem to be ok though:Smile:

This is our first van and I know that there is a learning curve with these things but I hope that this is not the norm, because we enjoy her very much:Cool:
So here's to Padstow::bigsmile:

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We had the same problem with our Bessacarr 725 the fridge will not work if we are parked on a slope - but is absolutely fine when the motor home is level. We thought we had an intermittant fault but it turned out that as long as we are parked reasonably level it is absolutely fine! I discovered this when I searched the net and saw a post from someone saying that their fridge would never work when they were parked at home - they had a steepish drive!

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Arto problems

Martin, you seem to have had a lot of problems with your Arto and ours seem insignificant in comparison. We found it impossible to get anything done under warranty even though the van was just under a year old when we bought it. We also had trouble with the Truma heater which last year would only work on mains electricity not gas. As we were away in Europe for 6 weeks at the time it was rather inconvenient.
There is a N+B owners club with a forum.
Enjoy your holiday and hopefully the fridge will be ok
Elizabeth:Smile:

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Thanks for all of your help, we have had 5 days at Atlantic Bays Holiday Park near Padstow, and fingers crossed the fridge is working. We are level and this must have been the problem. :roflmto:

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all of your help, we have had 5 days at Atlantic Bays Holiday Park near Padstow, and fingers crossed the fridge is working. We are level and this must have been the problem. :roflmto:

So pleased - we thought we were going to have to buy a new fridge! - so frustrating as the problem was so spasmodic!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back