LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
For your info - Back in June the Government announced it was to make it easier for police to penalise lane-huggers and other anti-social motorists with the introduction of on-the-spot fines for careless driving.

Coming into force this Friday, the new fines will mean any driver caught doing a wide-range of careless actions will face a £100 fine and three penalty points on their licence.

Under the new rules, police will be able to fine anyone found to be tailgating, failing to give way at a junction, queue jumping, using the wrong lane on a roundabout and ignoring lane closure signs.

However, motoring organisations have criticised the Government for not raising awareness of the new penalties, saying that many motorists risk being fined without even realising they were committing an offence............................................

My only criticism is why are the motoring organisations saying more awareness should be made... ?

If they drove to the letter of the law/rules/regulations they would already be aware.... :RollEyes::thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
For your info - Back in June the Government announced it was to make it easier for police to penalise lane-huggers and other anti-social motorists with the introduction of on-the-spot fines for careless driving.

Coming into force this Friday, the new fines will mean any driver caught doing a wide-range of careless actions will face a £100 fine and three penalty points on their licence.

Under the new rules, police will be able to fine anyone found to be tailgating, failing to give way at a junction, queue jumping, using the wrong lane on a roundabout and ignoring lane closure signs.

However, motoring organisations have criticised the Government for not raising awareness of the new penalties, saying that many motorists risk being fined without even realising they were committing an offence............................................

My only criticism is why are the motoring organisations saying more awareness should be made... ?

If they drove to the letter of the law/rules/regulations they would already be aware.... :RollEyes::thumb:
Did you nod off.:winky:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Did you nod off.:winky:

"NO".................. spose your going to tell me it`s already been posted... :Doh::Sad:

In my defence..... I`m on a crap slow dongle..... so have to be selective in what threads I read... :Cool:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
To be honest, Mo - they always change laws without notifiction of the motorist. The buck is passed onto you to ensure you are up to date, which is an appalling idea.

No-one notified you of changes in vehicle speed/weights, licence changes, tacho regs changes, and so on....you are expected to know.

Fortunately for members of forums such as this - they often find out sooner than an old chap that pops down the shop once a day.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
The problem with this is that some of these alleged offences are not absolute, an offence will have been committed and penalty delivered based purely on the opinion of a Police Officer or in future possibly highways agency traffic officer. Whilst I am sure most officers have sound and reasonable judgment, I have met a few whose judgment is at best questionable.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Not to worry boys! There are less Traffic Bobbies now than ever. I can drive around Yorkshire for weeks and never see one. Please don't anybody tell me that the Wombles ( sorry Highways Agency Traffic Officers0 are going to be given power to report and fine!
Anyway were off to France soon and we all love the French Police-----:ROFLMAO:Don't we?
Cheers
Bernie

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not to worry boys! There are less Traffic Bobbies now than ever. I can drive around Yorkshire for weeks and never see one. Please don't anybody tell me that the Wombles ( sorry Highways Agency Traffic Officers0 are going to be given power to report and fine!
Anyway were off to France soon and we all love the French Police-----:ROFLMAO:Don't we?
Cheers
Bernie
[FONT=&quot]At least the French still have a police force but the good news is crime figures are down the bad news is more villains are getting off scot free as there are no cops to catch them[/FONT]
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In my other life I do get to sit in on some rather interesting discussions..
This subject has now come up twice.

The guys and gals on the legal team always ask the same questions.

Basically as the offences are not exact it is up to the officer reporting to gauge if an offence has been committed and there does not appear to be any defence that can be offered, how does that sit with the basic precept of innocent until PROVEN guilty

The best advice the team can offer is to get something like the road hawk dvr system fitted as video evidence has to be accepted from the defendant as he police use it all the time..

As a by the by, none of the rules are actually new.. They are just being promoted more actively and now can now be prosecuted as a set and separate offence instead of coming under an umbrella offence such as without due care or dangerous.

Bottom line is though folks, same as any other traffic situation:
Drive sensibly and as you should do, and you will have no problem :thumb:

The only people who really need to be concerned it seems are motorcyclists, simply because it is the way they over take.. Often staying on their side of the road until quite close to the vehicle they wish to overtake believing it to be the safest way to go.
A poor practice I know and not one I would recommend for a good many reasons but it is a very common manoeuvre

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As these offences will be dealt with by fixed penalty notices then there is an option for the defendant to all for a court hearing if required.
Jaws' comments on driving sensibly (and with consideration for other road users) is spot on though. Nothing will change god the majority of drivers.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
New laws

Sounds to me like HMG want our police to behave like the French; if it moves and looks English, "book em Danno" and march them to the nearest cashpoint. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if our boys go after some of those Johnny Foreigners.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

WHAT POLICE?????:roflmto:BUSBY.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Just as its been said, you have a right to refuse any fixed penalty fine and have the right to have your say in court, a little bird told me in most cases you'll get letter telling you not to do it again :winky: (obviously depending on the severity)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Very interesting point about there being fewer bobbies around. Years ago people used to say "you know you are getting old when the police look young." These days I have no idea what they look like, never see one.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

From the list of "offences" as stated in the first post on this matter, we should all be ok just driving correctly. The only stickey one it appears, is being in the wrong lane approaching or on a roundabout. Perhaps if one finds themselves in such a situation the best thing to do is remain in the wrong lane and go off in the direction it leads. There maybe another roundabout or junction in which to turn around safely, and go back. Lets be honest, with the plethora of road signs everywhere, some of which are unreadable due to trees obstructing them, is it any wonder that we sometimes find ourselves "up the garden path" occasionally.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
As a white van man being guilty of most of the above where are they gunna get the extra policemens from, cos when I`m flyin up an dahn the motorway I never see any:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

If they drove to the letter of the law/rules/regulations they would already be aware....

Well said. In a drive from Lancashire to Worcestershire on the M6+M5
They could solve the dept crises of the country

Bloody brain dead drivers !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back