Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]hi all we have just today paid a deposit on a LH drive van watt sort of problems will I have her in the uk if any mot insurance things like that o and by the way if your wondering why I got LH the price was right [/FONT]
:RollEyes:[/FONT]

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
+1.had a LHD van in the UK for 2 years without any problems whatsoever and of course was correct when I came back to France permanently more recently.
In fact I think it was beneficial in the UK as easier to hug the kerb to avoid the 4x4 school runners who seem to be oblivious to whats going on around them or on the phone.Except for the one who bust my mirror so hard it dented the door also!!:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
+1.had a LHD van in the UK for 2 years without any problems whatsoever and of course was correct when I came back to France permanently more recently.
In fact I think it was beneficial in the UK as easier to hug the kerb to avoid the 4x4 school runners who seem to be oblivious to whats going on around them or on the phone.Except for the one who bust my mirror so hard it dented the door also!!:Doh:

I bet it was one of those uninsured runners. Hope you got his number, and what was he doing on the road anyway. Was it one of those hit and runners, who just get up and run away :Smile:.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
what you getting Bill? be sure to take your gaslow with ya :thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]hi all we have just today paid a deposit on a LH drive van watt sort of problems will I have her in the uk if any mot insurance things like that o and by the way if your wondering why I got LH the price was right [/FONT]
:RollEyes:[/FONT]

No problems at all. Even fewer than running a LHD car, as such a large proportion of motorhomes are LHD that most insurers are geared up for it. Obviously if you're picking up a non-UK registered LHD, you may need to convert before you can register in UK. This includes fixing the headlights and ensuring the speedo reads in mph.

If it doesn't already have one, get yourself a very decent wide angle mirror, or merging can be stressful.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
what you getting Bill? be sure to take your gaslow with ya :thumb:
hagger it is a Defflthis 1990 six birth i will remove the gaslow from old van cant waight to the end of month to get the new van ::bigsmile:
[FONT=&quot]We must have a proper van warming the next time we met cum an get drilled I have been hagerd champerd egeyd and johnandsheld my turn he he [/FONT]

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
you will get used to it fairly quickly, but the missis might not. Its a bit daunting sitting in the middle of the road as large trucks come at you, then later she may become part of the driving team, as the passenger can help considerably when overtaking, and entering roundabouts etc. As for insurance, they always seem to ask if it is left hand drive, but I dont think it puts it up much really. Good luck with it, and enjoy.:thumb:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I drive a lhd and the only problem I've found is at intersections. I have to drive square onto the line across the road in order to see to the right. Otherwise no problems with insurance, MOT or anything else - so far!:winky:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think being LHD added about £20 to my insurance so negligible.
If I can drive one on my own, anyone can! Sometimes the vision is a bit limited to the right, make sure you approach junctions slowly so you can stop a bit back, position yourself just right etc.. If all else feels I have to slip off seat belt and get out of seat to look!
If there are 2 of you, no problem, but I've not been able to train the dog to be a reliable look out.:winky:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I found it beneficial to fit one of those little extra mirrors on top of the right mirror and angled to enable me to see more at the difficult intersections,so if you like I have 3 points of slightly different view plus put the blind up over the kitchen area for real acute angles or when alone can see through that window.
:thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I found it beneficial to fit one of those little extra mirrors on top of the right mirror and angled to enable me to see more at the difficult intersections,so if you like I have 3 points of slightly different view plus put the blind up over the kitchen area for real acute angles or when alone can see through that window.
:thumb:
thank you for that it has one of them fifted looking forward to the chalenge
it will be fun ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back