LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all it's the time of year to renew MH ins :Smile:Got a few quotes after getting renewal from Caravan club ins at £268 not protected NC
Caravan & camping club came in at 236 inc protected no claims, legal, for same level of cover:thumb:
Next came AF at 181 inc legal but not protected :thumb:
I explained to them all it's a self build and all took my valuation at 15k to make another.
I took the AF quote but when the docs got emailed in the small print was a 15 quid charge for agreed valuation :Eeek::Angry: they wanted 7 pics etc which is standard but I objected to the 15 quid charge.They should have told me about it with the quote :Smile:Rang up and they agreed to wave the charge :thumb: but then the boss put her concerns that she did not like the way they did business by trying to scank an extra 15 quid so cancel the ins before it starts come Friday and tell them why and get a refund :Doh:
I did as I was told only for them to try and charge me 30 quid to cancel a policy that has not started yet :Angry::Eeek:I objected to this quoting distance selling rules etc but they stood firm saying they were in there rights to charge as they are only brokers and charge 30 quid for finding insurers and once I acepted and payment was made that earned them there fee.:Eeek::Angry:Did not make any difference the fact that the policy was not live yet :Sad:
Now they had my back up so I insisted they transfer me to a boss/supervisors who would not talk to me :ROFLMAO: five mins later the girl told me she would ring me back after listening to original call but I still insisted on talking to manager which I then told her I was recording our conversation--she told me I could not do that :Eeek:I told her if they can record me I can record them ::bigsmile: she said our recordings are for training purposes-so why do you need to listen to original call? :Smile: you are not training ?---hang on while I talk to my boss :Smile:
One min later-- I can confirm you will get a full refund thanks for your call ::bigsmile::winky:
Now taken the dearer C&CC ins but not letting AF have a penny -SKANKERS:thumb:yep its cost me 40 quid more but do not want to deal with a firm that cannot be up front with there charges :Angry:::bigsmile:
Terry

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Good for you mate, these RIP OFF companys are the bain of british business and should be avoided at all costs, thanks for your imput Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Terry, I had exactly the same last year - arranged insurance then received a letter stating I had to ring them (premium number).

This I did and the girl on the other end said "could you re-confirm your employment"? which I did. She then went on "we don't have exactly that employment on our site"? right????

"We will have to change it for you to the nearest and to do that will be an additional £70" After a bit of a one sided "Unfortunately" "Unfortunately" etc barking at I requested that we cancelled the 22hr old policy - strange but the £70 now put them uncompetitive with the rest on the comparison website - which I explained, got the quote, paid the money and then they wanted more...... I said cancel it - Then the reply "we don't mind that either, the cost of cancellation is a fee of £70 - you will receive the balance back in ten days, goodbye" Click.

I thought, if this is what this bunch is like at the outset, what the hell will they be like if I had to make a claim,,.

I received my money back - less £70 - smack on ten working days later.

I wouldn't go near the shisters EVER again - no fear. Ten of them, the same as I had, a day is not a bad business when you consider it - it appears that I was not the only one either. £700 per day and the insurance not yet arranged with underwriter - luvverly jubly.:Angry:

Go to other, reputable companies that have been recommended here - I did and had great service and assistance when I needed it. Thankfully I got out when I did.

Regards

Trikeman.:winky:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
I've been insured with A F for a number of years, am thinking of changing this year. Not had any problems although I've not had to claim so can't comment on that. I'll see what the renewal cost is.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, I had exactly the same last year - arranged insurance then received a letter stating I had to ring them (premium number).

This I did and the girl on the other end said "could you re-confirm your employment"? which I did. She then went on "we don't have exactly that employment on our site"? right????

"We will have to change it for you to the nearest and to do that will be an additional £70" After a bit of a one sided "Unfortunately" "Unfortunately" etc barking at I requested that we cancelled the 22hr old policy - strange but the £70 now put them uncompetitive with the rest on the comparison website - which I explained, got the quote, paid the money and then they wanted more...... I said cancel it - Then the reply "we don't mind that either, the cost of cancellation is a fee of £70 - you will receive the balance back in ten days, goodbye" Click.

I thought, if this is what this bunch is like at the outset, what the hell will they be like if I had to make a claim,,.

I received my money back - less £70 - smack on ten working days later.

I wouldn't go near the shisters EVER again - no fear. Ten of them, the same as I had, a day is not a bad business when you consider it - it appears that I was not the only one either. £700 per day and the insurance not yet arranged with underwriter - luvverly jubly.:Angry:

Go to other, reputable companies that have been recommended here - I did and had great service and assistance when I needed it. Thankfully I got out when I did.

Regards

Trikeman.:winky:
Name and shame? At least it warns others :winky:
I would not mind but I usually recomend Adrian Flux for self builds :Smile:Daft thing is if they would have included the 15 quid it was still 40 quid cheaper -- not quite as good cover but adequate :Smile:
As it stood they could have charged me the 15 quid and said my van was only worth1k and I would have had to accept it or pay a cancellation fee
Terry

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
I had to make a claim throuigh them, they were not the problem but the assessor that came out tested the brakes, engine off and left foot on pedel,when chalenged he said that was the way he tested brakes. Seeing as the accident was caused through brake failiure I disputed his findings before he even had left the street. They still have it down as a dispute 18 months later, but no raise in cost.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
been insured through them for years (I always get a couple of other quotes from other companies) they always come in cheaper and their recovery insurance is good and cheap to :thumb::thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was with AF for years.

Always ok with me but then the only claim I had was for a windscreen repair...

JJ :Cool:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tried to insure a pickup with them last month, first thing I said to them I wanted European breakdown , said yes that's ok, so signed up, when policy came only included one week in the year then I had to let them know when I was going and it was going to cost £23 every time I went over 1 week, so told them I wanted to cancell, only had it for a week but they had £30 off me.
Went to farmers union £50 dearer but insured for as long as I want and includes carrying other people's stuff as well

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But then again don't get me started on Be wiser insureance never dealt with anybody like them, out and out robbers, try googleing them, it's all true.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I suffered all the same surcharges with them, and went thru the 7 photos and agreed valuations etc, and then decided to pack in with them. Not only was I charged a massive admin fee, but they carried on taking the monthly debit. When I realised three months later, they said I had not done it in writing, even tho no-one asked for it, and after sending them a copy of my Sorn for that time, they eventually gave me back only two months. I was then sent an email asking if I would fill in a questionnaire about their service.....you can imagine what got sent back on that. I went with Lancaster insurance after that, at about £150 cheaper. Thing is, I have given their name out many times over the years for vehicles that are a bit different, which I now regret.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The problem with Adrian Flux is that low risk drivers such as MH owners inevitably end up subsidising their boy racer policies.
We live 500 yards from Adrian Flux. We won't use them for anything. They are just too expensive!:Eeek:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Adrian flux

Need to renew mine, did usual, phone emails etc. all sorts of promises. Felt to good to be true. Tried Adrian flux, nice lady. Asked many questions some odd but I do have a 27 year old renault traffic. Explained exactly why, and what for. Can't fault her. Was told about charges if I change any thing, plus other charges that may apply if I do this or that. Am very clear on what I have, best it,, all I want and need for £204, thank you young lady:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
In fairness to AF they instantly droped the best£15 agreed valuation charge and were giving the lowest price by far (this yr) it was only after they said they would charge me 30 quid it got my back up ::bigsmile:
Terry

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
At one time I had 3 vehicles with them. They were cheaper for all by far. Then the van insurance became cheaper elsewhere and also my wife's car became expensive with them. I still have my car with them. They have been fine with me. It's nice to speak with people in the UK.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I had my insurance with them up when it ran out end of july.I,ve done a sorn as I cant use the dethleff until next year.I happened to be looking at my bank statement online and noticed a withdrawal by AF for about 2 weeks earlier.Gave them a call and spoke to a very nice lady ,explained the situation and got the money put back,no problem.
I cant recall that I,d setup any kind of direct debit ?.
As stated previously its nice to speak to english native speaking persons when you,re explaining something like this.
I will be very wary from now on after reading of the pitfalls encountered here.
cheers pete

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had my insurance with them up when it ran out end of july.I,ve done a sorn as I cant use the dethleff until next year.I happened to be looking at my bank statement online and noticed a withdrawal by AF for about 2 weeks earlier.Gave them a call and spoke to a very nice lady ,explained the situation and got the money put back,no problem.
I cant recall that I,d setup any kind of direct debit ?.
As stated previously its nice to speak to english native speaking persons when you,re explaining something like this.
I will be very wary from now on after reading of the pitfalls encountered here.
cheers pete
sounds like youre taking a risk and not insuring the motorhome whilst its on sorn:Eeek: could easily be an expensive way to save money if any number of things happen.

wouldnt catch me risking no insurance

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
sounds like youre taking a risk and not insuring the motorhome whilst its on sorn:Eeek: could easily be an expensive way to save money if any number of things happen.

wouldnt catch me risking no insurance
Its off-road on a long drive beside our house.
Thats the idea of a sorn.Got my tax back as well.
If anyone wants to go into the back of it theyd have a hard job.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Its off-road on a long drive beside our house.
Thats the idea of a sorn.Got my tax back as well.
If anyone wants to go into the back of it theyd have a hard job.

hail stones, storm damage, electrical fire, theft still plenty of ways to cost you money and not insured for..... down to you and not something I would do

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It looks like everyone will have to have there own disclaimers speech ready to read to Adrian Flux (in fact all brokers:winky:) along the lines of
(After the ccustomary disclaimers)
Yes I agree but until I get copies of all you have said in writing so I can check all you have said is correct with no extra charges/payments or anything different I do not agree to you charging any monies for anything.Once I have said papers/emails and the policy is live then you can have your cut

If anyone can word this better feel free:thumb: I will copy print and save for next time::bigsmile:
Terry

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
hail stones, storm damage, electrical fire, theft still plenty of ways to cost you money and not insured for..... down to you and not something I would do
I something I would not .

Bee

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Interesting to read we have our car I surance with them we tried to insure our hymer because we have just returned from living in francee for 10 years they will not accept our no claims bonus and want a tracker fitted then the insurance would be 1,500 pounds so did not accepted there offer:cry:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we were with Adrian Flux when our first motorhome was trashed.

I had to battle with them due to their ridiculous low offer and only then found out that if we had wanted them to pay out what we had paid for the vehicle, that we would have had to had an assured price insurance.

It was only because we took photos immediately and prior to it going into storage and we researched vehicles of same year and condition and battled with them (with the additional help of MMM) that we got a higher payout, but they still paid out far less than what we had paid for that motorhome and we could not get an exact replacement.

We are now insured with Safeguard.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had a classic car insured with them a few years ago with agreed valuation, Sent the photos off and got the policy, no problems. I had a couple more cars and a bike insured with them over the years, great prices and good service. I rang them to insure our new MH but they were too dear so went with C&CC.
Interesting to hear of their less than up front dealing here though, I think I will take them off my Christmas card list...

Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I had a 4x4 insured with them years ago, had a no fault incident and some damage from a truck - they first wanted to write the Rangie off, then agreed to repair - and for years and years afterwards I was plagued by ambulance chasers wanting me to file a claim for non-existent injuries. Only place they could have obtained my details was via AF somehow.

I moved away as soon as I could. Saga now insure our 4x4 :ROFLMAO: and the CC our motorhome. So many of these companies are disingenuous and dishonest in the way they deal with people.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
So let me get this right, they didnt explain the £15 (which is wrong on there part), but you ended up paying £30 and then more with another provider.

Thats seems cutting off your nose to spite your face.:Doh:

if I have it wrong then i apologise

I also live just a few hundred yards from af and i have always found them rigth on the money for the last couple of years apart from this year for my car

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So let me get this right, they didnt explain the £15 (which is wrong on there part), but you ended up paying £30 and then more with another provider.

Thats seems cutting off your nose to spite your face.:Doh:

if I have it wrong then i apologise

I also live just a few hundred yards from af and i have always found them rigth on the money for the last couple of years apart from this year for my car

In a nutshell yes :Smile:When companys are not open and honest with me why should I spend my money with them ? It did not fill me /us with confidence of how we would be treated by such when they cannot be honest in the first place--- let someone else test them out ::bigsmile:As things stand it will be a long time before they get any of my money even if it means I pay a little more for a co that inspires my trust:thumb:
terry

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Same has happened to me with AF

The same thing has happened to me with AF When my policy runs out I will never deal with them again.
Hi all it's the time of year to renew MH ins :Smile:Got a few quotes after getting renewal from Caravan club ins at £268 not protected NC
Caravan & camping club came in at 236 inc protected no claims, legal, for same level of cover:thumb:
Next came AF at 181 inc legal but not protected :thumb:
I explained to them all it's a self build and all took my valuation at 15k to make another.
I took the AF quote but when the docs got emailed in the small print was a 15 quid charge for agreed valuation :Eeek::Angry: they wanted 7 pics etc which is standard but I objected to the 15 quid charge.They should have told me about it with the quote :Smile:Rang up and they agreed to wave the charge :thumb: but then the boss put her concerns that she did not like the way they did business by trying to scank an extra 15 quid so cancel the ins before it starts come Friday and tell them why and get a refund :Doh:
I did as I was told only for them to try and charge me 30 quid to cancel a policy that has not started yet :Angry::Eeek:I objected to this quoting distance selling rules etc but they stood firm saying they were in there rights to charge as they are only brokers and charge 30 quid for finding insurers and once I acepted and payment was made that earned them there fee.:Eeek::Angry:Did not make any difference the fact that the policy was not live yet :Sad:
Now they had my back up so I insisted they transfer me to a boss/supervisors who would not talk to me :ROFLMAO: five mins later the girl told me she would ring me back after listening to original call but I still insisted on talking to manager which I then told her I was recording our conversation--she told me I could not do that :Eeek:I told her if they can record me I can record them ::bigsmile: she said our recordings are for training purposes-so why do you need to listen to original call? :Smile: you are not training ?---hang on while I talk to my boss :Smile:
One min later-- I can confirm you will get a full refund thanks for your call ::bigsmile::winky:
Now taken the dearer C&CC ins but not letting AF have a penny -SKANKERS:thumb:yep its cost me 40 quid more but do not want to deal with a firm that cannot be up front with there charges :Angry:::bigsmile:
Terry

Last edited:

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Adrian "Dick Turpin" Flux

I Changed my MH and told AF they wanted £155 more off me. I had a quote from a company cheaper than my original AF quote. So I told them I wanted to cancel my policy with them and was going to take the quote I had just had. That is ok, I then asked how much rebate I would get for the 6 months remaining on the policy. Shock Horror. £15 she said as little as that for 6 months, her reply was that it was after AF and Trinity (the insurer) had taken thier fees and costs. Never again with AF when this policy is finish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back