any good spots to stop on way back up through france ? (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
were at pay du fou and slowly working our way back up to calais over the next 10 days, trying to avoid the big cities on route . Any nice aries or sites to stop for a night or two on the way that you know of please ?
thanks jack:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sully la loire aire by the chateau

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
You are welcome to call in on Parc Verger - always a warm welcome (and discount) for Funsters. Lovely tranquil site, with an excellent bar/restaurant in the village.
Free wifi, decent loos, good hot showers, laundry facilities, and often other funsters on site.
Wherever you go, have a great time.::bigsmile:
Bob
www.parcverger.com

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We went to the forest of Paimpont, which is strongly linked to the Arthurian legend, and is said to be the forest of Broceliande where Merlin is buried and where the Lady of the Lake had her castle - lots of great cycle rides. We liked the aire in the centre of Josselin, and it has a fantastic castle. We also loved Arzon in the Golfe du Morbihan. We stayed at a stunning site overlooking the sea, and stayed longer than we intended. Might be a bit out of your way, but all worth the trip.

Catherine

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Aire's at Chateau Gontier nice river side aire also town.Chalonnes sur loire nice aire, Change near laval aire,campsite at Clecy lovely riverside site, municipal c/s at fresnay sur sarthe nice site small pool pleasant town. and La Mailleraye sur seine aire on the banks of seine lovely aire also helps to avoid Rouenon way back going via Yvetot.
Terry:sin::sin:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Fidget. We overnighted at Chateau Gontier a few weeks ago and agree that the aire and the town were very pleasant. We did have difficulty, however, finding the water and the waste facilities. I spoke to the chap emptying the litter bins and he pointed in one direction for water and tried to explain where to find the vidange area, but despite his enthusiasm to help, my french was too poor to follow what he was saying! I went looking in the direction he pointed for the tap but the one I found didn't work so may have been the wrong one!

Still despite that enjoyed the stroll along the river and through the town and impressed with the large expanse of the aire alongside the river bank.:thumb:

Wyn

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Very nice large Aire at Forges le Eaux..about 40kms North ish of Rouen only around an hour and a half/two hours or so from Calais and the boat..Nice area some good shops in the town and even an Irish Bar...

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Try Beaumont Sur Sarthe, municipal between Alencon and Le Mans, we were there last week on our way back from a fab 3 weeks at Parc Verger::bigsmile:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
We stayed one night at the free Aire in Mesniéres-en-Bray – beautiful little village with an enormous Chateau and cycle and walking paths go for miles in either direction.

We had one of the best meals we've ever had in France at the Restaurant 'Auberge de Maison' and bread is available in the morning at the Tabac opposite the Aire.

All facilities are free.

Video of approach to Aire - [ame]http://youtu.be/oib_nC0cKlw[/ame]

:france::france::france:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Interesting video, RoryboysDad. Did you use a dashboard DVR (Digital Video Recorder) or was it a camcorder?

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Rob and Val - I have a Driving Recorder DR 32 - and the original clips played full screen on my PC are very much better quality than the Youtube quality.

Reviewed by Techmoan - [ame]http://youtu.be/P-dfvPX0dOs[/ame]

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you don't mind diverting NW into Pays de Loire and Bretagne, I'd suggest Le Croisic (5 small aires, best one overlooks the marina), Carnac, Quiberon (Port Blanc), Concarneau, Tregastel-Plage, Fougeres (NE of Rennes), Bayeux, and Honfleur.

All of them have aires that I'd be happy to go back to, and indeed have gone back to.

Bon Voyage.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
You are welcome to call in on Parc Verger - always a warm welcome (and discount) for Funsters. Lovely tranquil site, with an excellent bar/restaurant in the village.
Free wifi, decent loos, good hot showers, laundry facilities, and often other funsters on site.
Wherever you go, have a great time.::bigsmile:
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Thanks to all for the tips im making notes and am sure to check a few out on route.
Bob i was hoping to call at park verger on the way but satnav coordinates from your website wouldnt register in my satnav and map was not detailed enough to work out exactly where you are combined with my being a bit dim to work it out no doubt ::bigsmile:. I think you maybe a bit south of pay du fou and not infront of my trip northward now ?
Thanks again.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Yes, you are probably a bit north-west of us. Sorry you did not make it here this year, but we'll hope to see you on one of your future tours in France. Bit worried that your satnav would not take our coordinates - haven't heard that before. We'll ask some of those who arrive using satnavs if they've had a problem as we want to make it easy to get here, of course!::bigsmile:
Bob
www.parcverger.com

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Aire's at Chateau Gontier nice river side aire also town.Chalonnes sur loire nice aire, Change near laval aire,campsite at Clecy lovely riverside site, municipal c/s at fresnay sur sarthe nice site small pool pleasant town. and La Mailleraye sur seine aire on the banks of seine lovely aire also helps to avoid Rouenon way back going via Yvetot.
Hi Autoswan, If you want map codes for satnav for any of these just give me a PM and I will reply post haste!

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks Terry satnav coordinates and map ref be great for any of those please :thumb:
Also anyone else got coords for good places be great too.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Autoswan,

Link Removed Aire: CHALONNES-SUR-LOIRE

ADDRESS: AVE DE LA GARE
TEL:02 41 74 10 81 FAX: 02 41 74 10 80
EMAIL: mairie@chalonnes-sur-loire.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N47.34958 W0.74850
DIRECTIONS: From WEST, take D751 thru town, upon exiting town, cross BRIDGE & take 1ST RIGHT. AIRE is 100m on RIGHT.
SITE DESCRIPTION A municipal aire situated about 1/2km to the east of the town centre, pleasantly positioned next to a large lake with spaces (shaded by trees) on grass overlooking the lake. Picnic tables. Artisanal service point with drainage grid. Walks/ cycling around lake, shops within a short walk, swimming pool & mini-golf.
REVIEW: 2011 "The best address in this department! This aire welcomes motorhomes free on the edge of a lake & not far from the Loire, a swimming pool & minigolf. It is an ideal spot offering a fine view yet only 5 mins from the town centre."

Aire: CHANGE

ADDRESS:LAKE PARKING, RUE DU BAC
TEL: 02 43 53 20 82 FAX: 02 43 67 06 06
EMAIL: mairie.change@mairie-change.fr

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES:
GPS COORDS: N48.10048 W00.78532
DIRECTIONS: From LAVAL take D104 NORTH to CHANGE. In town turn RIGHT over River (D561) & then LEFT at roundabout to the LAKE & AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION: A nice waterside location; next to a lake and the Mayenne River in a large car park with a little shade in places. There are shops (Champion supermarket, Poste, boulangerie, butcher, pharmacy, etc) nearby - 10 mins walk away. The Raclet borne (with drainage grid) is badly situated at the car park entrance.
REVIEW
CAMPING CAR MAGAZINE RECOMMENDED 02/07: "On the waters edge, in a green location; a pleasant aire where you are certain of a rest."
2007 A super Aire -- all that you need -- Quiet. Lovely environment. Nice walks. Shops nearby and the council employees are very helpful. There is a good service point with 4 electrical hook-ups.

Aire: CHATEAU GONTIER

ADDRESS:QUAI D'ALSACE, OFF RUE D'ALSCACE LORRAINE
TEL:02 43 09 55 55 FAX: 02 43 07 96 82
EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN / TOILETS / RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:
GPS COORDS: N47.82446 W00.70376
DIRECTIONS: From LAVAL take N162 SOUTH to CHATEAU GONTIER. Follow N162 around town & over river -- turn RIGHT at 1st roundabout & then 1st RIGHT to RIVER & AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION: A lovely waterside location, situated on a quay next to the River Mayenne on a tarmac parking area with a separate area for motorhomes having small trees providing some shade. The Aire with public gardens set behind it, has nice views over the river & is close to the town shops (250m), there is an adjacent Tourism booth & a Champion supermarket within 5 mins walk. The town has a good range of shops/ eating places with a street market on Thursday. The Artisanal service point with drainage grid is in the road next to the car park together with WC's.
REVIEW
2007 It's nice to spend a night right on the banks of the Mayenne yet close to the town centre & its amenities. The services & toilets appeared to be cleaned daily. A quiet night despite being next to a road & the bridge over the river.
2007 A lovely spot next to a river, convenient for re-stocking the cupboards (a supermarket + shops are only 5 mins away), good services.
2008 A good, popular aire but although it is quiet at night it suffers from traffic noise from about 6am onwards. There were several motorhomes parked opposite on the other side of the river, next to the cattle market which I suspect is a bit quieter. A nice town with good facilities & with nice walks/ cycling along the river towpath in both directions. Basic service point with fairly clean toilets adjacent.

Link Removed Aire: LA MAILLERAYE SUR SEINE

ADDRESS:QUAI PAUL GIRARDEAU
TEL:02 35 37 12 04 FAX: 02 35 05 39 64
EMAIL: mairie-sg.lamaillerayesurseine@wanadoo.fr

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS FROM MAIRIE/ BOULANGERIE OR BAR "LE FONTENAY"
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: 2€
GPS COORDS: N49.48449 E0.77325
DIRECTIONS: Exit A13 @ Jcn 25 & take D913 NORTH to LA MAILLERAYE SUR SEINE. Follow D913 into village (RUE PASTEUR) & turn RIGHT into RUE DE LA REPUBLIQUE towards river. Turn LEFT @ river to AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION: This is a nice place -- on the banks of the Seine with parking on grass or gravel alongside & overlooking the river, the village being about 300m distant (with a selection of shops & a bar). Parking is lit by streetlights, picnic tables are nearby & the Raclet service point has a large platform drain. Note: Be careful if parking on the grass banks of the river; ground is sloping & can be soft leading to possible difficulty in getting out again.
REVIEW
2007 A lovely position on the banks of the Seine River from where you can watch the boats pass by, a popular spot with other camping-caristes. The night here was quiet & there is a nice village a short walk away with good shops. Re: the warning about soft verges, one motorhome had to be towed out whilst we were here as he lost traction due to the long wet grass & slope.
"Superb parking on grass on the banks of the Seine, very quiet."
2011 "A superb stop on the banks of the Seine where there are 30 well spaces places."

Clecy la vey camp site
Camping Les Rochers Des Parcs
N48.916408 E0.47478

Campsite:CG MUNICIPAL DU SANS SOUCI

FRESNAY-SUR-SARTHE

ADDRESS:ALLEE ANDRE CHEVALIER, 72130, FRESNAY-SUR-SARTHE
TEL: 02 43 97 32 87 FAX: 02 43 33 75 72
EMAIL: camping-fresnay@wanadoo.fr
FACILITIES:
LEISURE: POOL OUTDOOR / PLAYGROUND/ GAMES ROOM/ ENTERTAINMENT
CATERING: SHOP
SERVICES: LAUNDRY
SPORTS: TENNIS / FISHING
DOGS ALLOWED
RATING: 3*+ACSI
PRICES/ RATES:
PITCH: € 15 ADDL. PERSON: € ELECTRIC:
CREDIT CARD ACCEPTED? :
OPENING TIMES: 01/04 -- 30/09
GPS COORDS: N48.28500 E00.01250
DIRECTIONS: Site is well signposted in FRESNAY & is next to the RIVER to WEST of town.
SITE DESCRIPTION: Situated on the banks of the River Sarthe, this Municipal campsite is located in the medieval town of Fresnay-sur-Sarthe. Pitches here are of medium size, mainly level & grassy, laid out in terraces & separated by high hedges with some shade. Most have 6A electric with water close by & the sanitary block is a good standard.
Facilities on site include an outdoor heated pool, crazy golf, tennis & boules. There is a small shop on site selling basic groceries. Next to the camp there is a canoe hire shop where you can rent a canoe & take it along this interesting river.
REVIEW
2007 A nice little municipal campsite, sat right next to the Sarthe River in Fresnay. It has good pitches with plenty of privacy provided by surrounding hedges and shade is variable across the site. Some pitches are next to the river with good views. Toilets were fine. Pool is OK but we didn't use it much as the temperature was a bit on the cool side. Canoe hire is available at the site entrance -- well recommended; you can be dropped off further up the river & can then paddle back to Fresnay -- a lovely peaceful trip.

Pleased to help

:sin: Terry & Ann:sin:

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks Terry im checking em out now much appreciated mate . Jack

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ere, Fidget.................that looks like comprehensive details :Smile: Can I ask which publication they came from ? (coz I'm looking to get guides etc for France)

::bigsmile:

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi terry were at the municipal site at Frensay sur Sartre on your list its very nice here . Sat nav coords took us down other side of river through tiny lane but all part of the fun got a bit lost after that so rang the site and found the way :Doh: will look at all other suggestions and new between here near Le Mans and Calais thanks guys:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back