Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
just bought smart car to tow behind motorhome,read all the comments on here about a frames and trailers, new a frame kit about £900 nice second hand smart trailer £900 is there anybody on here that has had both,have read all about the problems in france and spain,just looking for a bit of knowledge that's all

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You don't say what type motor home you are towing with , personally having "towed" trailers from four ft to 65 ft ,A framed and chariots it depends on your capability ,having been warned twice in France by local plod and fined once in Spain by civil plod (got it down to 40e in the end ) would go with the trailer if possible ,though others may disagree and spout all sorts of rule changes.......... A-frame at your own risk over there hope this helps

::bigsmile:

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
towing with a swift kontiki 669 tag axle, towed trailers for 25 years,its just that an a frame is small and convenient, but have found a mint smart trailer only been used twice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have the same van as yours but the Bessie version.

Here's my take on it.

A framed my car at the weekend to the Peak District, simple job and do it occasionally when I might need the car for a race or work.

Would I do it abroad? No, I've spoke to to many people over the years that have given first hand experience of trouble with a frames. Some choose to still and it's about personal choice, you asked for an opinion here's mine.

If your in the UK aflame, if your abroad, trailer :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Another thing to bear in mind second hand trailer ££££ second hand aframe will be worth nothing you will not lose much money on a trailer if you have the room trailer every time

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
just bought smart car to tow behind motorhome,read all the comments on here about a frames and trailers, new a frame kit about £900 nice second hand smart trailer £900 is there anybody on here that has had both,have read all about the problems in france and spain,just looking for a bit of knowledge that's all

Definitely trailer. There are moves afoot that might "clarify" the A-frame position legally and they are unlikely to be to your liking.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

I would say trailer. A few reasons
Ease of reverse (can not reverse a toad )
Value will not drove like a stone
Legal every where.

So that is my input :Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Spain = trailer.
You cannot use an a frame in Spain.

Vic

Sorry vic but you can,,,and many do.

The rights and wrongs of which have been done to death but you can't say you cannot use an aflame in Spain :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bryan got nicked on the way to Zahora 2 years ago.. Did him €100 and made him unhook there and then.
Fortunately Suzy drives so no major drama but yesssss.. Not something I would do myself

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back