Sites in and around La Rochelle (1 Viewer)

JSH

Free Member
Dec 17, 2012
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi All
first trip to France in a weeks time and I am drawn to La Rochelle and the Vendee. I have 11 days/nights to fill. What are peoples recommendations for the area (site wise)? It's a bit of a last minute decision so all I have done so far is book the tunnel. I have the Aires book but really as a plan B. Any advice from seasoned tourers will be most welcome.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We stayed at Aytré, south of La Rochelle, for one night at the end of June.
http://www.camping-les-sables.com/index.php?lang=en

We were on our way home, so didn’t have a lot of time. Site was quiet with good facilities and friendly staff. It was 'out of season' when we were there, so will be a lot busier now.

We wanted to see La Rochelle, which is 4 kms away (as the crow flies). Could have been OK by bike, as there is a cycle path, but was a bit too far to walk and there didn’t seem to be a nearby bus stop..

So, next day we drove to the aire just off Avenue Jean Moulin, La Rochelle (N46°09.188, W001°08.399). No electric there but a very good location next to the Park & Ride. We paid 10.50 euros for one night but that includes return bus tickets for up to 4 people into the centre of La Rochelle. (Town parking bans motorhomes). Entry to the aire is closed on a Sunday but you are able to exit.

We hope this helps and that you have a very enjoyable time.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I was going to recommend the site and Aire Rob and Val mentioned as we used both a couple of years ago. It was the end of July so right in the high season and we just turned up at the site and got a pitch for 3 nights, we also used the aire for 2 nights and as mentioned you get the use of the bus and also the Taxi boat that takes you over the harbour is included.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi All
first trip to France in a weeks time and I am drawn to [HI]La Rochelle and the Vendee[/HI]. I have 11 days/nights to fill. What are peoples recommendations for the area (site wise)? It's a bit of a last minute decision so all I have done so far is book the tunnel. I have the Aires book but really as a plan B. Any advice from seasoned tourers will be most welcome.

I think wherever you go sites and Aires will be a pit packed when you are there ,have come away from that area a few weeks ago ,did L`Oudon on the way down (free) St Dennis down on the Ille D`Oleron 9e(pay by card at barrier) a night good showers and EHU, Mortagne-sur-Gironde another good-un water and EHU 6e by the small marina (guy collects around 9am)

if your anywhere near Saint Laurent Sur Gore quiet site 4e good showers and EHU plenty of others on here see French Aires but as I said may be a bit packed enjoy to trip prefer France over Spain any day ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• L`Oudon (2).jpg
    L`Oudon (2).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 41
  • ille d'oleron.jpg
    ille d'oleron.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Mortagne-sur-Gironde.jpg
    Mortagne-sur-Gironde.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Saint Laurent Sur Gore.jpg
    Saint Laurent Sur Gore.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 39

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
Hi. while you are down that way,its well worth a visit over the bridge to ILE DE RE'. worth the 16 euro's toll. some very nice sites, great for cycling, all in all just a great place to go.give it a try its well worth it. enjoy:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ave Jean Moulin Park & Relais (Ride) at la Rochelle is well worth it, as others have said.

Ile de Re - Camping Les Amis de Plage at Le Bois Plage en Re has a standard campsite, but also a MH compound (a sort of super aire) with loo, outdoor shower, limited wi-fi, EHU, and service point. Nice beach close by, and the island has easy bike access all over. Only about 20 minutes' ride from Saint-Martin de Re on the opposite side of the island.

Saint-Martin de Re has a two star municipal site within the town walls which has all the standard facilities, nice and clean too. We've used it a couple of times in preference to the aire next door. It's not that much more expensive than the aire. The harbour area of the town is very atmospheric, and my missus swears by the shopping.

If you want to look at the northern end of the Ile de Re there's a grassy aire at Saint Clement des Baleines, with services. Everywhere up that end is then within cycling distance. Also a big campsite next door.

If you're in the area and haven't been to Parc Puy du Fou that's well worth a visit and they have a huge aire for an overnight stop if you wish. The CineScenie show (Fri and Sat nights) is mind-boggling.

Personally I'd stay south of the La Rochelle area if I was on that bit of coast - the Ile Madame (tidal causeway, one campsite, overnight parking elsewhere tolerated) and the Ile d'Oleron (like Re without so many people) are pleasant spots. Oleron has a couple of aires that are ex-campsites so they're good value for money, at Saint-Denis d'Oleron, and Chateau d'Oleron. Not much MH parking on Oleron so best use bikes to get around. We've also used the campsite outside the moat at Chateau d'Oleron (Camping les Remparts) which was OK as a basic stopover.

There's also places like La Palmyre and Saint Palais sur Mer if you like getting on the bikes and exploring - plenty of variety round there, with both aires and campsites available.

Last edited:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi we left isle de re today after a week there, the sites were full where we checked but found good one at les prises site was full but parked in nice space next to it for only 20 euros a night with full use of site facilities. before there the park n ride site mentioned was good and plenty of room weekend before last. goodluck:Smile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
As previously said there are lots of sites & Aires in that region and as you are going next week it should be quieter, 15th August is the French summer bank holiday and the area goes very quiet after. We are heading that way on Friday and not bothering to book anything, just going where the road takes us. We will probably call in at St Palais sur Mer as it is a lovely old fashioned resort with a lovely well kept beach, and whilst in that area we will call into Cognac and replenish our supplies!! ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back