French Police targetting UK Drivers. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Because we have opted out of the some EU regulations there is now a special team of Gendarmes targeting UK drivers for speeding. Giving on the spot fines...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23619783

Just so you know that we are being targeted and that you can't get away with speeding any more.

To be honest I don't blame them and wish our police would do the same over here.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They have always had on the spot fines. We also have them in the UK for foreign drivers. I was nicked in France 20 years ago and given an on the spot fine. Was nicked in Germany almost 40 years ago and given an on the spot fine.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
What a load of rubbish!

French police are targeting ALL drivers, not just UK drivers, and the easiest and simplest thing to do in France is DON'T SPEED -Simples!

If you do speed in France or anywhere else - then you must be stupid and deserve all the hassle you get.

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
They have always had on the spot fines. We also have them in the UK for foreign drivers. I was nicked in France 20 years ago and given an on the spot fine. Was nicked in Germany almost 40 years ago and given an on the spot fine.

I agree Snowbird....I know they have been doing on the spot fines for 10+ years as a friend and a relation of ours both had one for not physically stopping at a stop sign...before setting off even though they could see both ways were clear of any vehicles

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
France has been remarkably relaxed on this subject and with thousands of cross border travelers each day it still doesn't have the capability to issue that many fines to non French residents, they do with some ie those that are really above the limit although this is done manually. On the spot has been their only solution for many many years now so nothing new. Watch out though as they are talking about using the Swiss plate tracking system that is capable of registering ALL EU plate types.... Try going 130kmh in Suisse and the letter will arrive at your house in Basingstoke before you do, and when you don't pay it's very simple, on the next border entry you make, when your passport is swiped you are not let into the country until you pay up, this will come to France as M. Hollande needs the cash.....

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Oh and I think they be targeting speeders as opposed to specific countries, makes sense ?

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
And here we have a Motorhome Fun member jostling among the pack on the A64 in France ...........

Attachments

• MHF 2.jpg
    MHF 2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 135

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Club Objections

Link Removed & Broken Link Removed
Club

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Not just France, but here in Spain for not physically stopping at a stop sign is 80 euro´s on the spot and if you cannot pay they will happily take you to the cash point and then it cost 160 euros. This is not just for UK reg veh´s, all drivers.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Nothing new here. Some years ago I was pulled on my bike and taken to the "payment booth" past the toll booth where there were only British registered vehicles. When I produced my Italian passport the fine dropped from 900f to 600f (pre Euro).
Still, if you don't want the fine - don't exceed the speed limit.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The French have to obtain revenue from somewhere.
Just spent 9 weeks touring France and I cannot believe how many days off they have with feasts, saint's days and various other jollies.
I don't think our Police would bother to much about the tourists speeding. Our roads are so bad even the UK drivers are slowing down. The roads here are now on par with the third world. Even when they fill a hole the workmanship is crap and it opens up in a few days.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I know they have always had on the spot fines. The new bit here is that they are now targeting people from countries that are not part of the EU deal. For people on the database they just send a ticket. For GB plated vehicles they now have a "new" team of Gendarmes.
They will not issue a ticket they will pull you over and hold you till you pay. People in the EU zone will just get a ticket through the door.

What a load of rubbish!
French police are targeting ALL drivers, not just UK drivers, and the easiest and simplest thing to do in France is DON'T SPEED -Simples!

If you do speed in France or anywhere else - then you must be stupid and deserve all the hassle you get.

Did any of you actually read the linked article? Not a load of Rubbish. They will now stop you if you have a GB plate and have employed extra police to do this.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Wellll - about 30 years ago, when the kids were little and they are 40-ish now - my bro in law was stopped for speeding on the AutoRoute in France, on the way to their villa in Nerja.

The copper came to the drivers side, ie the nearside in that case, and the two stood and had The Discussion. Policeman spoke good English and was OK about it, and it was a 'Fair cop, Guv' anyway. So they scraped the Francs together (only really had enough to get through France the one way, but they found it) and duly paid. Martin then asked him what they would do if he didn't have the cash? Policeman said they had the credit card 'bonker' by demonstrating the action. Martin then asked 'What if I didn't have plastic?' and before he could draw breath, the policeman had whipped his ignition keys out of the car.

Policeman then said, you would be taken to the police station, put in a cell and your car would be impounded. End of story till you paid up, then you would also owe us for the recovery etc and any expenses for your family's expenses and accommodation.

We sort of made a family decision there and then that perhaps it ain't a good idea to speed in France, really .....

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just spent 9 weeks touring France and I cannot believe how many days off they have with feasts, saint's days and various other jollies.
I don't think our Police would bother to much about the tourists speeding. Our roads are so bad even the UK drivers are slowing down. The roads here are now on par with the third world. Even when they fill a hole the workmanship is crap and it opens up in a few days.

Agree with your comments on our roads in general, the roads in East Ayrshire are really dreadful and we thought the D & G roads were bad enough ............. don't know what they're doing with the road tax we pay, but it sure isn't going towards the upkeep of the roads:RollEyes:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Believe me Karl, nothing is new there. I have been travelling in France for well over 40 years, long before the EU was even thought of, and if you did any misdemeanour you paid on the spot. If you did not have the means to pay, as was often the case before the days of credit/debit cards, your papers were taken away until you could pay. Many s the time I have had to fax money through to an agent to pay drivers fines before they could continue.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Not that many holidays :-( 12 public holidays and if they should fall on a weekend there is no such thing as a day in lieu :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back