Aldeburgh (nice place as long as you dont have a motorhome) (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi in our paper today more doom and gloom:

Link Removed

I am beginng ot think its not 4x4s anymore its motorhomes.

I cant think why we all cross the channel. Is it so we can spend lots of money in EUROPE! This country had a lot to learn about Europe. We should do a poll on how many Brits go over there and why? and how many motorhomes come over here! I must admit I dont see many French waiting to cross considering we are connected with a tunnel.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Many Thanks Bob.:shout::whatthe:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

I like this comment...

“I want us to give our full support to stop overnight parking on the sea wall.”

She added that the free overnight parking at Aldeburgh was publicised on an internet camping site and this attracted people to the area.

Surely the statement that it is attracting more people into the area is beneficial.They must be spending money while they are there benefitting the local community.Or maybe the overnighters aren't, and that's what the REAL issue is?

Crikey.It's bound to be adopted by other councils soon.:Doh:

I bet it's more the "Bed and Breakfast" brigade that are up in arms about it.

Someone please tell me why there are so many people making so many laws in this country.They really don't want us to have a leisure pursuit.

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
This country never ceases to amaze me, areas dependant on the tourist trade actively discourages visitors, Dylan has unhelpful council where she lives:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think what we have to remember is that local authorities don't have to take into account just the views of motorhome owners but those of all sections of society.

Suffolk Coastal District Council have been more helpful than many in providing places for motorhomes to park and in providing information (without being asked) about those places - so I don't believe they will have taken this decision lightly or with any untoward bias against motorhomes.

There is parking for motorhomes available at Thorpe Road car park in Aldeburgh.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
That's enlightening.

Thanks Graham.

The usual trick is to put up Height restricting barriers to stop the "travelling community" from entering these car parks.

Link Removed

Costs
Type Pay and Display
1 Hour0.80
2 Hours0.80
4 Hours0.80
8 Hours1.50
Season TicketAvailable
Credit Cards
Park and Ride No

Link Removed

Last edited:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I spent sometime in and around the Aldeburgh area last summer and I am not surprised that they have banned this wild camping, whilst there we cycled past this very spot and I was disgusted to see signs of waste not being dumped in the sea but onto the shingle! Furthermore there was litter scattered everywhere.

These people probably do not contribute to the local economy at all more than likely they bring all their own food and drink stay a few days then leave their rubbish and away!

I am sorry but these wild campers give the rest of us all a bad name and also there were several campsites in the area although I have to admit they are fairly expensive. However there was avery nice C&CC holiday site just outside Thorpeness on the cricket pitch for a very reasonable £7 a night there were showers and free membership of the nearby Social Club.

Regards Pat

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I totally agree with you about illegal dumping of waste - no different from fly tipping really.

What I should like to get away from, though, is the notion of "wild camping" where use of vehicles is concerned. As far as I know, the only area of the UK where wild camping is allowed is Scotland and the definition enshrined by law there specifically excludes use of the majority of vehicles - see Here.

In the rest of the UK, camping other than on recognised sites is only legal with the permission (or at least the tolerance) of the landowner. However, where vehicles are used it should not be termed "wild".

I worked for local authorities for nearly 36 years so I am well aware that councils will listen to approaches they receive regarding facilities (of all types) - but only if the approaches are constructive. This applies to both general and overnight parking for motorhomes as much as to anything else.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Pat.

I deleted the thread entry once that was clarified.:winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We were in Barmoth last bank holiday weekend and stopped on a site adjacent to the front.

There had to have been about 15 Motorhomes parked along the length of the front, all were there for the full weekend and there was no parking to pay for.

I coudnt see that they were cuasing any problem but at the same time I coudn't for the life of me see how they could enjoy being parked at the side of the road for three nights without any sought of recognised facility other than the local public toilets.

Not for me thanks

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We were in Barmoth last bank holiday weekend and stopped on a site adjacent to the front.

There had to have been about 15 Motorhomes parked along the length of the front, all were there for the full weekend and there was no parking to pay for.

I coudnt see that they were cuasing any problem but at the same time I coudn't for the life of me see how they could enjoy being parked at the side of the road for three nights without any sought of recognised facility other than the local public toilets.

Not for me thanks

I wonder if it's the Genny noise that is causing the problem?Were any running them?

They must have required power some of the time.

Not my cup of tea either.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi,

I like this comment...

“I want us to give our full support to stop overnight parking on the sea wall.”

She added that the free overnight parking at Aldeburgh was publicised on an internet camping site and this attracted people to the area.

Surely the statement that it is attracting more people into the area is beneficial.They must be spending money while they are there benefitting the local community.Or maybe the overnighters aren't, and that's what the REAL issue is?

Crikey.It's bound to be adopted by other councils soon.:Doh:

I bet it's more the "Bed and Breakfast" brigade that are up in arms about it.

Someone please tell me why there are so many people making so many laws in this country.They really don't want us to have a leisure pursuit.

I think the real cause is the campers don't vote in that ward! Councillors are worried about being re-elected and are constantly looking for popularist issues. The campers just make such an easy target. They turn up, stay for days, don't spend very much, blight the view and dump loads of rubbish (and worse!). What councillor wouldn't seize on it to get their name,and even better their photo,in the local paper?

Regards
Doug

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Fair comment Doug,

But it could have far-reaching implications.:Sad:

You're right, it will. The inconsiderate few are ruining it for the rest. Now they've been banned from here they'll find somewhere else to spoil until that local community cries enough and they're banned from there as well. It's already happened at Studland and I seem to recall some areas of Norfolk have introduced similar byelaws.
I think it's unfair to blame on the councils, they're trying to protect their communities interests. In this instance I'm sure the publicity on the internet HAS made the situation worse. Before there were a few vehicles overnighting but 30? The council couldn't ignore that. We'd all be pretty unhappy if they allowed visitors to spoil our localities, wouldn't we?

Regards
Doug

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well, they certainly have got the motorhoming community a bad name.

All it takes is a bit of political "spin" and we'll all be tarred with the same brush.

People believe what they are told without hearing/seeing both sides.

Sad really, but, unless something is done about it, we will become Unsocial "lepers" within our own country.:Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, they certainly have got the motorhoming community a bad name.

All it takes is a bit of political "spin" and we'll all be tarred with the same brush.

People believe what they are told without hearing/seeing both sides.

Sad really, but, unless something is done about it, we will become Unsocial "lepers" within our own country.:Angry:

Good points in this post and preceding ones about positive/negative publicity.

Some of you might wish to write to the authority where you live, or those in areas you intend to visit, to encourage provision of facilities for motorhomes and/or show that we aren't all bad. There are skeleton letters Here which are free for anyone to use.

Graham

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Councils, by and large, are strapped for cash. For them to invest anything in providing facilities there has to be something in return. In all honesty how much do we actually bring to a town? We bring our own accommodation, food and drink. Ok, we go sightseeing and maybe out for a meal or two while we're there but it's not a lot though is it?
We're pestering them to allow overnight parking, water and dump points in a similar vein to the French aires. It's going to cost money, but would you be happy to fund a facility that a lot of people see as little more than a council provided traveller campsite? Let's face it, it's a whole lot cheaper to ban us in the first place!
Perhaps a public/private partnership campsite might be possible, Let an entrepruneur take the risk. Wouldn't that would keep everyone happy?

Regards
Doug

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The cost to a local authority need not be all that much (all depending on what is there at the moment of course).

About 18 months ago I found about about a campaign started by a fellow motorhomer - who deserves a heck of a lot of credit - to persuade a north east council to provide overnight parking facilities with water and dump points. About a year ago circumstances meant that I could join in to support him.

It is hoped that a pilot scheme will start this year, based on an existing coach park with adjacent toilets which have traditionally not been used overnight. Hopefully facilities/charges will be along the lines of those already provided by Canterbury, St Edmondsbury and Powys councils - see Here.

Agreed that people take their own accommodation but does everyone take their own food and drink? One of the enjoyable aspects of visiting places for Jill and myself is to try local produce from shops and markets. It is hoped that people using the scheme will visit local shops/eateries/pubs/markets, all of which will contribute to the local economy - a significant incentive for most local authorities.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back