Definitive answer to dumping. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having now read through several threads re dumping of rubbish, grey water and black water can we now have a definitive answer to the dumping of these things. First lets look at rubbish. I seldom eat anything out of a can or plastic bag so I presume most of my rubbish will bio degrade over time. So will it be exceptable to just throw it out the van door to save time bagging it up and finding a waste receptacle ?.

Then there's the grey waste, no chemicals here only a drop of Fairy liquid, not much fat now as am on a diet. So can I just open the slues gates whenever and where ever I fancy, regardless of whether someone is following behind or just maybe has to pitch there tent on the grass that I have so kindly watered on the campsite.

Thinking about it, I don't have a cassette, I have a nice big black tank. There are no chemicals in there and the contents are all degradable. I could just leave the tap open and let it all run out onto the pitch and it would save the campsite owners from having to buy that nasty fertiliser stuff. Or I could wait till I get out on the road and do as the farmers do and just dump it there.

If these practices are now exceptable am thinking along the lines of a 12 volt switch working the taps of my black and grey tanks, to save me the tiresome bother of having to bend down and open the valves. I could do it from the comfort of my armchair.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dave . there arte electronic gate valves on the market to fit your black tank etc .
i once heard a german say autobahn is the place .when its really rainy he lets his 200ltr black tank go on the move . it was on a big converted coach he kicks up that much spray that nobody can see if he is emtying or its just rain water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ahhh, I forgot to mention that my grey waste will contain a little shower gel. But not to worry as I don't have alopecia...am almost bald, verrucas, foot rot, mange or anything else that would be a problem for your grandchild if he wished to crawl in my deposits.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I dump my grey and black stuff where I think it is ok and will not cause any trouble or grief to other people no matter how anally retentive they are about the natural results of life...

JJ

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Weather's looking good for the next few days :Cool:

Thats a pity....no rain to wash away the grey waste deposits. Ah well, nothing in there that will harm my grandchildren, one of which is just learning to walk.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do train toilets still empty on to the track never see much left on there

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi dave . there arte electronic gate valves on the market to fit your black tank etc .
i once heard a german say autobahn is the place .when its really rainy he lets his 200ltr black tank go on the move . it was on a big converted coach he kicks up that much spray that nobody can see if he is emtying or its just rain water.

Sounds like a great idea. Is this the definitive answer to all my prayers. A dumpers dream come true.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do train toilets still empty on to the track never see much left on there

Not seen many toddlers on there either. Or for that matter many campers.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
All waste should be disposed of in a considerate manor both for the reputation of all motorhomers and your fellow campers take it home or find a suitable place to dump It.
Don’t think that a bit of gravy water in a hedge bottom in a layby is a problem but food and toilet waste attracts vermin
Please do be considerate to the environment and other road users campsite users
In short no take it home with you:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The definitive answer to dumping

Never trail your grey waste among other campers. Leaving a site or a rally field with the tap cracked wide shows you to be an inconsiderate [STRIKE]wan..[/STRIKE] waster.

If I can I take it home I will, but if staying for longer than a day or two you need to empty. At a rally where the likelihood of anyone else parking up immediately you leave is remote, then, if you are on well drained grass, you can let your grey go under the van. Never let go on a busy rally field, its not fair on those who might pitch a tent or awning after you leave. Also never on on a hard-standing, you never know where it will end up)

On grass rally fields I have let water go under the van hundreds of times. If I am going to be somewhere for more than a couple of days I'll collect it and chuck it in the hedge. A little grey won't hurt anything, but a lot in one place might. Some like to add a filter, like a small hessian sack or similar to the end of the drain pipe but we never bother because we are fastidious about not putting any solids into the grey system, not even a single grain of rice. Washing up is wiped clean with a paper towel before being washed in the sink. Any food solids scraped into the bin or the loo.

Over the years I have probably dumped a few hundred of gallons of grey on the road, not that anyone would notice as I have the tap just cracked so it's releasing literally a drop at a time. Less since having the Hymer because the drain point is in the middle of the road and not the gutter. For me any drain on the road or layby is OK for a bit of grey, I'm an expert at parking exactly over those drains. Road drains collect a lot of muck such as as the tons of dirt and manure farmers leave on it, as well rubber, road-kill, bird, rat and cat shit. My grey won't make much difference. :Smile:

Chemical free waste, grey or black will not harm grass or hedgerow. For three years I owned an RV and must have dumped well over a thousand gallons of chemical free black waste in the same bit of hedge in a field. The only result being the greenest grass around and a fantastic crops of blackberries::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Never trail your grey waste among other campers. Leaving a site or a rally field with the tap cracked wide shows you to be an inconsiderate [STRIKE]wan..[/STRIKE] waster.

If I can I take it home I will, but if staying for longer than a day or two you need to empty. At a rally where the likelihood of anyone else parking up immediately you leave is remote, then, if you are on well drained grass, you can let your grey go under the van. Never let go on a busy rally field, its not fair on those who might pitch a tent or awning after you leave. Also never on on a hard-standing, you never know where it will end up)

On grass rally fields I have let water go under the van hundreds of times. If I am going to be somewhere for more than a couple of days I'll collect it and chuck it in the hedge. A little grey won't hurt anything, but a lot in one place might. Some like to add a filter, like a small hessian sack or similar to the end of the drain pipe but we never bother because we are fastidious about not putting any solids into the grey system, not even a single grain of rice. Washing up is wiped clean with a paper towel before being washed in the sink. Any food solids scraped into the bin or the loo.

Over the years I have probably dumped a few hundred of gallons of grey on the road, not that anyone would notice as I have the tap just cracked so it's releasing literally a drop at a time. Less since having the Hymer because the drain point is in the middle of the road and not the gutter. For me any drain on the road or layby is OK for a bit of grey, I'm an expert at parking exactly over those drains. Road drains collect a lot of muck such as as the tons of dirt and manure farmers leave on it, as well rubber, road-kill, bird, rat and cat shit. My grey won't make much difference. :Smile:

Chemical free waste, grey or black will not harm grass or hedgerow. For three years I owned an RV and must have dumped well over a thousand gallons of chemical free black waste in the same bit of hedge in a field. The only result being the greenest grass around and a fantastic crops of blackberries::bigsmile:

And this my fellow funsters is not only the definitive answer, but the most sensible one. Thanks Jim :thumb:.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I dump my grey and black stuff where I think it is ok and will not cause any trouble or grief to other people no matter how anally retentive they are about the natural results of life...

JJ

If they really were analy retentive they wouldn't have to worry about the black!:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ahhh, I forgot to mention that my grey waste will contain a little shower gel. But not to worry as I don't have alopecia...am almost bald, verrucas, foot rot, mange or anything else that would be a problem for your grandchild if he wished to crawl in my deposits.

AH....Dave.....what brand is the shower gel:Doh:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
How do others do it.

Here is he information for New Zealand where a van has to be certified every four years for it to wild park for 3 days. This is done by a certificated plumber. No sticker no wilding.

No Warrants shall be valid for more than forty eight (48) months, and must be renewed immediately if any alterations to the self containment set-up are made.

"Self Containment is the ability to meet the ablutionary and sanitary needs of the occupants of a motor caravan, for a minimum of three days, without needing any external services or discharging any waste. All waste and sewage is to be disposed of at a waste dump station, which is connected to a sewerage or septic tank system. You shall not use chemicals in the self-containment system that could affect the operation of the dump station and attached systems."

There are three reasons why the New Zealand Motor Caravan Association Inc. is promoting self containment:
1. To protect the health and well being of our members when using their motor caravans.
2. To protect the environment in which we live, and through this promote more stand alone areas where we may park without the support of services for three days.
3. To avoid financial impositions and prosecution for inappropriate dumping of waste.

One very interesting point is the waste outlet has to have a sealed screw cap on it.

Link Removed

It contains a lot of information that we should adopt.

This blue square sticker was introduced at the beginning of 2012. It provides Council enforcement officers with a visual tool to immediately verify whether or not a vehicle is certified self contained.

Attachments

• Self Contained NZ.jpg
    Self Contained NZ.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 10

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How do others do it.

Here is he information for New Zealand where a van has to be certified every four years for it to wild park for 3 days. This is done by a certificated plumber. No sticker no wilding.

No Warrants shall be valid for more than forty eight (48) months, and must be renewed immediately if any alterations to the self containment set-up are made.

"Self Containment is the ability to meet the ablutionary and sanitary needs of the occupants of a motor caravan, for a minimum of three days, without needing any external services or discharging any waste. All waste and sewage is to be disposed of at a waste dump station, which is connected to a sewerage or septic tank system. You shall not use chemicals in the self-containment system that could affect the operation of the dump station and attached systems."

There are three reasons why the New Zealand Motor Caravan Association Inc. is promoting self containment:
1. To protect the health and well being of our members when using their motor caravans.
2. To protect the environment in which we live, and through this promote more stand alone areas where we may park without the support of services for three days.
3. To avoid financial impositions and prosecution for inappropriate dumping of waste.

One very interesting point is the waste outlet has to have a sealed screw cap on it.

Link Removed

It contains a lot of information that we should adopt.

This blue square sticker was introduced at the beginning of 2012. It provides Council enforcement officers with a visual tool to immediately verify whether or not a vehicle is certified self contained.

Yes but 99.9% of campervans in NZ are VW sized and most don't have tanks, so you can understand the problem they have had. In the UK 99.9% would pass the certification at the factory. So a similar scheme here would be pointless. Though as a money making scheme, I could see some caravan-site-owning-MP suggesting it. No way should we adopt it.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Yes but 99.9% of campervans in NZ are VW sized and most don't have tanks, so you can understand the problem they have had. In the UK 99.9% would pass the certification at the factory. So a similar scheme here would be pointless. Though as a money making scheme, I could see some caravan-site-owning-MP suggesting it. No way should we adopt it.
And there was me thinking I was the only one who thinks it would just become a expensive licencing thing the only the rich could a ford and sum rich politician could make money from
:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not a problem for me. I can well exceed 3 days. At least a week with 2 occupants. With my old Tiffin with just me as the occupant 4 weeks without emptying or filling.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I'm posting this for no other reason than I'm catching roger's 9000 posts.

I don't care what you do with your waste,

No no

I mean it,

I really don't care,

Like I mean REALY don't care.....

Oh and if you leave your gas on on the ferry?

That's alright by me too, not seen one sink yet....

Wanna empty down a grid? Fine by me too.....

But please don't smoke near me,

I hate smoking.....

Oh and meat is murder and responsible for the deaths of 1000s and 1000s of newly hatched male chicks every day....

Please don't believe in free range eggs, buy from someone that has them for sale in your village...

Have I missed anything?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

that does not work well with water mellons, and fruit & veg which take up a lot of water......... which is why a lot of people are ill after eating melon especially in countries that use erm....black water to speed growth:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
AND!

Never ever eat Salad in China, Hong Kong ,OR , Egypt:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun