herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
thinking of touring some western islands but were not sure if my 22 foot hymer will get on/off the ferries
any experience on this please

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
thinking of touring some western islands but were not sure if my 22 foot hymer will get on/off the ferries
any experience on this please

The only issue to watch out for is the approach/departure angle of some of the ferry ramps. We have a 6m Fiat based van and no problems but I watched one or two bigger MH's ground the back of their van or get VERY close.

Just proceed SLOWLY over the ramp and you should be fine :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As already suggested, you should have absolutely no problem getting on and off the ferries. Just take your time and don't be hurried over driving on and off the ramps, and you'll be fine. :thumb:

Mike

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We just did the Mallaig to Skye ferry and it was absolutely fine we are 7.5 m so you should be fine £44 one way - well worth the trip with spec scenery driving up to Mallaig. Enjoy!

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We are 24 feet with the alko chassis, we grounded severely on the Largs/Cumbrae ferry, firstly, the usual ferry was out of service and, because of the delays, it was low tide, we were late, I made the mistake of not waiting for the crew to sort things out. The rear cross member caught in the ramp not too bad considering but I paid the price for impatience:cry:.

On the return, we chose close to high water and the usual ferry was back in service, I expressed my concerns to the crew, they were very helpful and made sure we were ok. Lessons learned, if its a small ferry make sure its half tide or more, proceed very slowly, if you touch, stop! Ferries carry bridging ramps to cope with just this problem. If in doubt speak to the crew before you board, its not a problem if you hold everyone up for a little time, better that than damaging the ferry! ;-):thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We are 24 feet with the alko chassis, we grounded severely on the Largs/Cumbrae ferry, firstly, the usual ferry was out of service and, because of the delays, it was low tide, we were late, I made the mistake of not waiting for the crew to sort things out. The rear cross member caught in the ramp not too bad considering but I paid the price for impatience:cry:.

On the return, we chose close to high water and the usual ferry was back in service, I expressed my concerns to the crew, they were very helpful and made sure we were ok. Lessons learned, if its a small ferry make sure its half tide or more, proceed very slowly, if you touch, stop! Ferries carry bridging ramps to cope with just this problem. If in doubt speak to the crew before you board, its not a problem if you hold everyone up for a little time, better that than damaging the ferry! ;-):thumb:

I was just going to put a post on about the Largs to Cumbrae ferry, it sprung to mind because we lived in Largs for several years and used the ferry quite often with the car before getting a motorhome.
From memory, the Cumbrae slip is much steeper than the Largs side, but even on a high tide, I'd be concerned about the Cumbrae side. We're about to change vans to one that's longer, so will now think twice about going across to Millport:cry: I know they run a few different ferries over the holiday period and some can be smaller than others. You probably wouldn't have had a problem on the Gourock/Dunoon one as they are much bigger.
I wouldn't worry about holding everyone up, but I'd be more concerned about damaging my motorhome than their ferry:whatthe:

Bill

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
We've just done the Ardrossan to Brodick and Lochranza to Claonaig. As already has been said go slowly and most important listen to the Ferry Crew, they have wooden planks to assist movement if needed.
We had no problems with a 7m Motorhome.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've just done the Ardrossan to Brodick and Lochranza to Claonaig. As already has been said go slowly and most important listen to the Ferry Crew, they have wooden planks to assist movement if needed.
We had no problems with a 7m Motorhome.

I wouldn't expect any problems on the Ardrossan to Brodick ferry as it is "huge" compared to the small Largs to Cumbrae ferries. But as said before the tide being out being out slightly will make all the difference to the angle as you drive on and off the ramps.

Bill

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the main thing with these situations is take it slow we couldnt get down the ramp to the car park on the sands at brean sands due to the angle but as soon as it grounded we backed off no damage done

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi there, We were in the Outer Hebrides this year and it was easy. Our 6.5 m van had no problems getting on and off and the ferry staff were well used to big vehicles. These ferries take 37 ton trucks so no worries. I wouldn't go for an Island Hopper as the difference in price isn't huge and it limits you to how long you can stay on the Islands.
The Hebrides are wonderful and completely different to anywhere we've ever been.
Re.the Largs Cumbrae ferry - we've done that one regularly and no problems there either. Cumbrae is tiny though and nowhere near the Hebrides. We go there for short breaks and love it.
Mags

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back