Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Just seen this petition calling the government to provide parking in the UK for motorhomes on Out and About.

The more that sign it the more chance they might take notice!!!!!

Here is a link:

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Reading it fully, it needs 100,000 to be considered for debate, [HI]so it will never be discussed[/HI]. Shame as good idea I think.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yet another waste of time. With all the other calls on parliamentary time does anyone seriously think that this (or any other) government is going to legislate to force councils to use powers they already have?

If anyone seriously wants councils to use those powers then a proper case needs to be put forward - Making The Case for Aires in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
UK aires

Was prepared to sign this excellent petition but not prepared to give my address and phone number so could not "sign" it. Pity. Don't mind giving email address as one can usually unsubscribe from any junk email. Not so easy to avoid junk post and cold calls over the phone.

I'm sure the petition is reputable but these days it's so easy to be caught out that you get over cautious..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Was prepared to sign this excellent petition but not prepared to give my address and phone number so could not "sign" it. Pity. Don't mind giving email address as one can usually unsubscribe from any junk email. Not so easy to avoid junk post and cold calls over the phone.

I'm sure the petition is reputable but these days it's so easy to be caught out that you get over cautious..

This particular petition is a Direct.Gov one so is not going to result in junk post and they don't ask for the phone number as far as I can see. Asking for a geographic address on any petition is normal isn't it?

The main point is, though, that this petition is just like the several on the same theme which have preceded it. First of all it is ill-targeted and secondly it will receive a maximum of something like 600 signatures because that is the reality of the extent of pro-active support for aires in this country.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Reading it fully, it needs 100,000 to be considered for debate, [HI]so it will never be discussed[/HI]. Shame as good idea I think.

any e petition needs 100k signatures
there again we have how many members, that could be good start:winky:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I never needed any "aires" in my over 30 years of motorhoming in the UK so am not that passionate about the project but might I suggest a course of action that would get more attention from the authorities than an e petition...

A line of slow moving motorhomes causing chaos on the motorways...

Wouldn't take long to get a discussion going then...

JJ :Cool:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I never needed any "aires" in my over 30 years of motorhoming in the UK so am not that passionate about the project but might I suggest a course of action that would get more attention from the authorities than an e petition...

A line of slow moving motorhomes causing chaos on the motorways...

Wouldn't take long to get a discussion going then...

JJ :Cool:

Bit like procession to Malvern

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hard pressed councils have enough to do without a another burden on them they have no money officials that will do watt hay can to screw it up and make it very expensive.
tree huggers that will demonstrate and a work force that will take all they can and levee the job half-done They don’t have money to build houses to home the homeless let alone cater for the privileged few with motor homes yes and I consider my shelf privileged to have one old or not

And as for parliamentary time they got lodes of time it is just there is nothing in it for them but maybe if they appoint one main contractor who can pay a nice bung to someone in power.
brown paper bag under the table it may happen

but till then dreem on::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Aires in the UK petition. I think Graham is right, this is never going to happen and it will never get the 100k and will never go any further.

If ANY Funster thinks that creating an aire system in the UK is possible, then you are deluded, there is enough of a stink when they want to have sites for travellers, so how do you distinguish between a traveller and a Motorhome / caravan owner either British or foreign?
Answer you can’t.

Secondly, no council in the UK will have ‘spare’ funds to finance this, a minority hobby which is fully catered for by ‘paid’ sites and will sufferer the wrath of campsite owners.

Will it ever happen? NO.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There are three French style Aire in the UK They are in Northern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland also now has Aires.

Ireland also has a large traveller population and these Aires are not being swamped by travellers. Paranoia in the UK about travellers is there because councils did not want to provide sites for then and sidestepped every directive the various governments have issued to provide sites.

UK Councils are responding to the need for Motorhome halts.
Canterbury P&R are extending their Motorhome Halt. Blackpool are considering making their trial permanent. Torridge has provided Motorhome Halts. Hawick has motorhome Halts

The gloom and doom merchants need to wake up and see what is happening around them Broken Link Removed

I have to agree that petitions to Government will not reach anything like the required amount of signatures to trigger a debate.

There have been failures ie. Guisborough and there will be more if they are in the wrong place or are under/misused. That does not mean we should not continue trying to get legitimate stopover points. Wild Parking is a totally different issue.

There is no reason why presumed planning consent should not be in force for such Motorhome Halts as is the case for CL & CS sites. TV and Satellite dishes, etc. and now parking for money on your drive, have or will have such consent. It just needs a small change of attitude to bring these things about.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Yet another waste of time. With all the other calls on parliamentary time does anyone seriously think that this (or any other) government is going to legislate to force councils to use powers they already have?

If anyone seriously wants councils to use those powers then a proper case needs to be put forward - Making The Case for Aires in the UK.

I have just read your document ‘Making the Case for Aires in the UK’. As a discussion document it is well considered and your observations are rational, balanced and dispassionate.
And, based on the figures you provide, I agree that it is hard to make the case for facilities, similar to those in France and Germany, here in the UK, where MH usage is less and journeys shorter.
Whilst there are thousands of CLs CCLs etc. they are usually intended for the (club-member) domestic user and not so much for foreign tourists. Therefore I believe that a strong case could still be made to those local authorities whose jurisdiction covers known tourist sites e.g. Cathedral cities, coastal resorts, areas of outstanding natural beauty etc. Such local authorities already invest heavily in attracting visitors, in order to boost local economies.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have just read your document ‘Making the Case for Aires in the UK’. As a discussion document it is well considered and your observations are rational, balanced and dispassionate.
And, based on the figures you provide, I agree that it is hard to make the case for facilities, similar to those in France and Germany, here in the UK, where MH usage is less and journeys shorter.
Whilst there are thousands of CLs CCLs etc. they are usually intended for the (club-member) domestic user and not so much for foreign tourists.
I don't disagree - though it is perfectly possible for overseas visitors to join clubs. I know of a visitor from Australia this year who joined both CC and C&CC to take advantage of CLs and THSs whilst touring the country (far cheaper than paying for full camp sites so easy to save the membership fee).

Therefore I believe that a strong case could still be made to those local authorities whose jurisdiction covers known tourist sites e.g. Cathedral cities, coastal resorts, areas of outstanding natural beauty etc. Such local authorities already invest heavily in attracting visitors, in order to boost local economies.
Again, I agree - but that strong case needs somebody to put the appropriate effort into making it. It is pointless just expecting anyone (be it a local authority, NGO or private sector entrepreneur) to do something unless that strong case is demonstrated to them. While it is the case that nobody is prepared to do that then no progress will be made.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
There is no reason why presumed planning consent should not be in force for such Motorhome Halts as is the case for CL & CS sites. TV and Satellite dishes, etc. and now parking for money on your drive, have or will have such consent. It just needs a small change of attitude to bring these things about.
True John, but change of attitude to planning consent is insufficient in itself. Nobody is going make that change or, more importantly, to fund developments unless they are shown where the payback will come from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back