LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Our omnistep sheared a rivet whilst in France making it unuasble. Whilst making it safe for travel I noticed that a another rivet has previously lost its head and sleeve making it not fully take load which probably lead to this failure.

Anyway my question is it it worth paying the £26 (x 2 in this case :Sad:) for a rivet repair kit or is there a DIY job someone has performed?

I could drill out the remaining rivet head and replace with a bolt, but I don't have the plastic sleeve for the step to allow smooth operation.

Any ideas for a DIY fix or experience of the rivet kit appreciated. :Smile:

Link to the repair kit.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think you should take a second look at the pic in your link.

the repair 'rivets' are in fact two different sized nuts and bolts...along with nylon top hat bush's and steel washers.

that makes them extremely expensive bolts. :Doh:

windscreen wiper linkages usually have top hat style bush's so you may find something similar to fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think you should take a second look at the pic in your link.

the repair 'rivets' are in fact two different sized nuts and bolts...along with nylon top hat bush's and steel washers.

that makes them extremely expensive bolts. :Doh:

windscreen wiper linkages usually have top hat style bush's so you may find something similar to fit.

:thumb: Hence the question as also my thoughts also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:thumb: Hence the question as also my thoughts also.

sorry, thought you were questioning the suitability of the 'rivets'.

i would say a couple of suitably sized stainless nuts and bolts, redrilling the holes if needed, and regular greasing would be a better bet then you wouldnt need the nylon bushings....which will wear faster than greased links.

think of the millions of movements of a suspension ball joint in comparison to a step link.....and its all down to lubrication.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back