Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
I was looking through this months Caravan Club magazine and spotted the review of the Marquis Lifestyle 686.
I was amazed at how identical the interior layout was to my 1990 Kontiki. This got me thinking. Well dreaming really. Would it be possible to buy an interior for this and re-fit mine as we are looking to do a lot of work to ours in the winter anyway. All seems identical (at a glance).

Short question is. Would I be able to fit an interior from the Marquis Lifestyle 686 into my 1990 kontiki. ie wall units, cushions, etc. And would I be able to go into my local Swift dealer and sort this out.

Thanks

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I dought it very much, better off going to somebody like oleary's

www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk

and buy new "old stock" parts

do a google for motorhome fittings/parts and you will find other simular suplliers.

remember you cant make a silk purse form a sows ear and you may end up spending more money the finnished artical is worth.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
kon-tiki refit

could be a difficult project.

Link Removed

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
unfortunately the way motor homes are built now its virtually impossible to refit they build the interior and glue the walls on last very little is fitted afterwards

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi what you can do is rip it all out and renew everything using your original cooker sink etc, all at reasonable costs. I did it on the big 6 berth one under my name in the garage on here .(not my ambulance one-link under this post) It cost me 2.5k but we put a new roof on total rewire and all new boards, cupboards etc.Took 2 of us 3 weeks from start to finish.
Terry

OP
OP
L

Lisett

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
Thanks Terry thats what I plan to do. I cant find anywhere that does new cupboard doors for the kitchen unit. Im simply planning in updating and doing a copy of what I have only newer.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It might be useful to read Terry,s Avetar ,the bit about "time served Joiner"

OP
OP
L

Lisett

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
It might be useful to read Terry,s Avetar ,the bit about "time served Joiner"

Yeah I did notice that. hehe. I wouldnt be doing it all alone although I do have enough know how and ability to get it done.

Very good advice though. ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Link Removed
THATS ONE I ripped apart
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cabinet doors can be made for you by a company that make kitchen unit doors for home. Locally we have a company that will make and fit all new doors to an old kitchen for a fraction of the replacement cost.

failing that a competent carpenter will make up decent doors for you. or you could go to a caravan dismantler and buy nearly new doors/cupboards and make them fit your design. my preferred option would be to buy an accident damaged or damp recent caravan and strip it for parts as a donor vehicle. then sell what you dont want or need. even the chassis is worth decent money, so expect to pay a good price for the donor. like this
Link Removed

OP
OP
L

Lisett

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
Ive found a good cabinet maker near my mums house. May take the van the next time I'm down that way and see what can be done by them and save me the hassle.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ive found a good cabinet maker near my mums house. May take the van the next time I'm down that way and see what can be done by them and save me the hassle.

Take care. Everything on a MH is made for minimum weight. And even worse, cupboard doors are high up, you don't want weight high up.

So if you go and get solid oak doors you are shooting yourself in the foot and will lose much of your payload.

Most of our "woodwork" is 2mm thick ply.

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Magnam motorhomes in Grimsby has racks of motorhome cabinet bottom and top locker doors sinks, tops friges etc (new old stock from motorhome manufactures) in fact all you need to refit or build a motorhome .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. First off two people in the family have done something VERY similar to that which you propose, so far from being impossible it is certainly something that can be tackled providing you have some woodworking and general engineering skillls

BUT !!

Both were done by going to caravan breakers and buying a badly damaged unit with the layout required.
Not the cheapest option but equally not the dearest as it is 'all there' to begin with ..Virtually no faffing around trying to find an illusive bit of trim half way through the project ::bigsmile:

One was done in a 1982 Merc long wheel base, and the other in a weird ex local bus thing.

That you are planning to do this with a MH that was built back at a time when they were actually reasonably well built is damned good start..

I have NO idea if you your self could do it as I do not know your 'skill set', but yes, with time and effort and a solid vehicle such as you have on which to base the project, I do not see why it could not be done.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I don't think your project is wothwhile.

I would sell it and buy a more recent model.:Smile:

OP
OP
L

Lisett

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
I don't think your project is wothwhile.

I would sell it and buy a more recent model.:Smile:

I wish that was an option. :ROFLMAO:

Jaws thanks for the detailed reply I appreciate all opinions but the the majority was getting to be on the negative side. This has restored my confidence a bit.:winky:

Hilldweller I couldn't agree more with what you have said about weight placements in an MH :thumb: however we dont intend to have anything in solid oak or that kind of thing. Well be sticking to the concept of if its light its right and will be asking if the cabinet maker can do such a thing we need in ply or some kind of veneered finish.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
vohringer produce very high quality but ultra light plywood. you can purchase it by the sheet from most bespoke motorhome converters or boatyards. its not cheap, but it is designed for the purpose and widely used in the industry

an example
Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I wish that was an option. :ROFLMAO:

Jaws thanks for the detailed reply I appreciate all opinions but the the majority was getting to be on the negative side. This has restored my confidence a bit.:winky:

Hilldweller I couldn't agree more with what you have said about weight placements in an MH :thumb: however we dont intend to have anything in solid oak or that kind of thing. Well be sticking to the concept of if its light its right and will be asking if the cabinet maker can do such a thing we need in ply or some kind of veneered finish.

Your original post suggested you would buy all the parts parts from Swift and use a workshop for the work. I wasn't being dismissive of your plans, I was looking at the project from a financial point of view as well as the lead time for the parts to be supplied. This could be many months!
You would be looking at a huge amount of cash to even buy the parts, if they fitted! Selling your present van and upgrading would have been a more efficient use of your financial resources.

If you are looking at a DIY refit, then crack on! You'll hopefully update and refresh your van and add to its value if done properly!

Good luck, enjoy the journey and the splinters in your fingers!!!:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Further to John and Shells post and my link to my van that I ripped out and fitted new interior I payed 6k for the van on a 95 plate knowing I was ripping it out as it was damp, Swimming pool wet if honest ::bigsmile:what I thought was going to be a simple reseal of roof ended up being a new roof, dry out and completely reboarding, rewire reupholstry etc, in total I spent 2.5k and a couple of weeks work for two of us.Sold the van after a year for 12.5k making 4k on it:thumb:
Depending on your skills and how far you want to go with refit will determine your spend and worth on the van :Smile: Imo if you do a nice job your van may bring 6k if lucky so you will have to do the maths if it is a worth while job
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back