Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Just had four new tyres fitted to the Autotrail by a well known "national" outlet. They recommended Continental Vanco 2 109/107R
As the fitter was finishing up the conversation went like this;
Me) What pressure have you put in?
Fitter) 56 psi
Me) My book recommends 5 bar which I thought was about 70-75psi.
F) These tyres only take 65psi but I can put 70 in if you like :Eeek:
where does it say 5 bar?
Paperwork retrieved from van and shown
I then go to speak to "The Boss" and explain my confusion, he goes away to check online, on his return states that they are the right tyres and it's okay to put 70psi. I say - your fitter (who's stood alongside) said the max was 65psi.
Boss to fitter - I've told you before they are the American and Canadian pressures not UK

In summary I am confused and would like some reassurance that these are the correct tyres and pressure for our van The reason for changing the old ones was not to compromise on safety as although the tread was good and they were legal, they were 2007 tyres and the side walls were cracking.
Any clarification greatfully appreciated

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Good question, I am sure you'll get plenty conflicting answers, don't think anyone knows the full story, my van says 79 psi but I only put 65 in as advised by a " tyre expert" as it says max 80 on the tyre 79. Seems close to the limit to me:Eeek:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
No one knows for sure; don't make the assumption the tyre manufacturers know either. I contacted Michelin and they told me 80 psi which is the maximum tyre pressure the mh road as hard as a rock so as previously said reduced mine to 65 psi and the mh rides much smoother now.

The answer to your question will be the average of the information you receive in answer to your thread plus your own feelings.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It depends on the tyre. On my van if I have Michelins on they are 80psi on the rear. My present Avons run at 65psi rear.

You need to get your axles weighed. Simple enough at your local weighbridge; then ring the tyre manufacturer, give them your axle weights and tyre details and they will tell you the precise running pressure:thumb:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Having gone through the same problem, I followed Jim's advice just this week.

I loaded up the van, filled the fuel and water tanks, and went to the local trading standards weighbridge. No charge if I simply wanted to make note of the figures, fortunately we came in 120 kilos under the 3500 limit. They seemed pleased I was at least getting the weights checked.

I emailed the weights to Michelin (my tyre brand) along with the tyre information and within 5 minutes I had a reply (53psi in the front and 80 psi on the rears). Apparently this 80psi figure has become standard with them.

At least I feel that I may be using the correct tyre pressure now.

OP
OP
Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Thanks for all the advice I will certainly visit the local weighbridge as a starting point and follow Jim's approach, be interesting to see the outcome.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had a reply (53psi in the front and 80 psi on the rears)..

So you have an accident and the tyre is measured at 56, your manual probably says 76.

So what happens ?

I don't know.

Mine are inflated as it indicates on the driver's door and Burstner handbook, 5 bar all round.

It's good that you have that email "in writing", print it and store it carefully.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So you have an accident and the tyre is measured at 56, your manual probably says 76.

So what happens ?

I don't know.

Mine are inflated as it indicates on the driver's door and Burstner handbook, 5 bar all round.

It's good that you have that email "in writing", print it and store it carefully.

Most motorhomes have two figures, one from the vehicle maker and another from the converter, rarely are they the same, both are normally wrong. :Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

So what happens ?

I don't know.

That is a strange one, never heard that before 53 is the lowest I've heard of especially with 80 on the back you must have a vast weight difference front to back

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
At least I feel that I may be using the correct tyre pressure now.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on it:Sad:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As a rule of thumb, if your fillings keep popping out and the wear pattern is centre tyre then they are too hard. If your fillings stay put but tyre ware is on the outer sides of the tyre then they are too soft. Works for me. :thumb:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer

So what happens ?

I don't know.

Yes, I have an email from michelin, with a name and a reference number.
The rear is the same as in the Hymer handbook, the front is 5psi lower than in the handbook.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just had four new tyres fitted to the Autotrail by a well known "national" outlet. They recommended Continental Vanco 2 109/107R
As the fitter was finishing up the conversation went like this;
Me) What pressure have you put in?
Fitter) 56 psi
Me) My book recommends 5 bar which I thought was about 70-75psi.
F) These tyres only take 65psi but I can put 70 in if you like :Eeek:
where does it say 5 bar?
Paperwork retrieved from van and shown
I then go to speak to "The Boss" and explain my confusion, he goes away to check online, on his return states that they are the right tyres and it's okay to put 70psi. I say - your fitter (who's stood alongside) said the max was 65psi.
Boss to fitter - I've told you before they are the American and Canadian pressures not UK

In summary I am confused and would like some reassurance that these are the correct tyres and pressure for our van The reason for changing the old ones was not to compromise on safety as although the tread was good and they were legal, they were 2007 tyres and the side walls were cracking.
Any clarification greatfully appreciated
forget all the nonsense, go to your local free council managed weight Bridge, weigh the axles (fully loaded preferably) Note down the front and rear axle weights ring up the Tyre manufacture of your MH Tyres speak to their technical department ...they will give you the correct pressures not someones guess:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Whatever you decide as the final setting I can recommend Jim's tyre pressure thingies (see link on right or click here:

Link Removed)

Wyn

OP
OP
Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
As a rule of thumb, if your fillings keep popping out and the wear pattern is centre tyre then they are too hard.

Every time this happens my dentist pulls a face then suggests removing the tooth, root canal filling and cap, quote is usually around £880 :Eeek:

Apologies for the levity I do appreciate all the advice and hope Jim brings the tyre pressure thingies to The Malvern Show :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have conti vanco on my motorhome and it does say max pressure on the side walls of 65psi. i weighed the van loaded and got the axle weights. i emailed conti's customer services with tyre sizes nad loads together with my axle weights.

they confirmed the side wall marked pressure was for the american market and gave me pressures of front 70 psi rear 80psi fully loaded.

with an unloaded van weights they gave me, 54 psi front, 62 psi rear.

handbook says 5.5 bar ( 80 ) front and 5.5 bar (80) rear at all times. :Eeek:

so at least ignore the tyre wall marked pressures.

OP
OP
Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the confirmation Phil, I will email them as well when I have the weights

i have conti vanco on my motorhome and it does say max pressure on the side walls of 65psi. i weighed the van loaded and got the axle weights. i emailed conti's customer services with tyre sizes nad loads together with my axle weights.

they confirmed the side wall marked pressure was for the american market and gave me pressures of front 70 psi rear 80psi fully loaded.

with an unloaded van weights they gave me, 54 psi front, 62 psi rear.

handbook says 5.5 bar ( 80 ) front and 5.5 bar (80) rear at all times. :Eeek:

so at least ignore the tyre wall marked pressures.

OP
OP
Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
With such big differences being quoted between fully loaded and unloaded do people seriously adjust their tyre pressures each time they unpack from a trip. Thinking about it I suppose it depends if you use the van much unladen. :Doh:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Most motorhomes have two figures, one from the vehicle maker and another from the converter, rarely are they the same, both are normally wrong. :Doh:

I agree with Jim that the information supplied by the base vehicle manufacturers and the converts is often both wrong inasmuch that they probably apply to some odd loading weights - such as fully loaded..... BUT the problem is where does one stand if challenged by the Police and the courts. Will data provided via email by the tyre manufacturers stand up in court against the information plated on the van?

I have weighed my van and I would use the data supplied by the tyre manufacturers if on Handkook would reply to my requests for information. I have found the figures quoted by VW (in my case) lead to a harsh ride.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Not if they are Handkook tyres - I have never got a satisfactory reply from them.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
i have conti vanco on my motorhome and it does say max pressure on the side walls of 65psi.

I believe that these figures are figures set by USA regs and i am not sure what real relevance they have to usable tyre pressures.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Will data provided via email by the tyre manufacturers stand up in court against the information plated on the van?

Police and the courts are the least of your worries.....its your insurer you should be concerned about.

incorrect pressures in the case of an accident and your insurers have another cop-out for the claim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
american air pressure markings.....

Maximum Air Pressure -
This indicates the maximum operating inflation pressure of the tire. It does not indicate the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure, nor does it indicate the proper air pressure based on the vehicle the tire is mounted on. This category is also based on NHTSA standards.

i dont see how the marked max USA pressure is lower than European pressure for the same tyre.
unless its to prevent over inflation on the American market by stating a lower pressure.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This thread got me to have a look at my tyre pressures on the Adria I have just bought (first ever motorhome). It is running on a Fiat Ducato body and chassis. The sticker on the inside of the door says 5 bar front and 5.5 bar rear. When I check the Fiat handbook for the tyres and vehicle type it says the same.

I can't find anything at all from Adria as to what they say the pressures should be. Is that normal?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (American version of UK construction and use regs.)

Standard No. 119: New Pneumatic Tires For Vehicles
Other Than Passenger Cars
Scope and Purpose:
This standard establishes performance and marking requirements for new pneumatic tires. The purpose of this standard is to provide safe operational performance levels for these tires and to place sufficient information on the tires to permit their proper selection and use

doesnt mean that is the max pressure...only what they consider safe.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This thread got me to have a look at my tyre pressures on the Adria I have just bought (first ever motorhome). It is running on a Fiat Ducato body and chassis. The sticker on the inside of the door says 5 bar front and 5.5 bar rear. When I check the Fiat handbook for the tyres and vehicle type it says the same.

I can't find anything at all from Adria as to what they say the pressures should be. Is that normal?

those are the max pressures at max vehicle weight.....may be too high if you dont run fully loaded all the time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
:thumb:
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (American version of UK construction and use regs.)

Standard No. 119: New Pneumatic Tires For Vehicles
Other Than Passenger Cars
Scope and Purpose:
This standard establishes performance and marking requirements for new pneumatic tires. The purpose of this standard is to provide safe operational performance levels for these tires and to place sufficient information on the tires to permit their proper selection and use

doesnt mean that is the max pressure...only what they consider safe.

Surely if the manufactures think its only safe upto a certain pressure it must follow that it is unsafe if you go over it, not the van maker who didn't make the tyre.
The max pressure on the tyre used to be for tyre fitters when they were blowing them up to fit them not the running pressure which was much lower.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back