France - worst weekend of the year (1 Viewer)

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The worst day of the year for drivers in France is Saturday 3 August. The Foreign Office has just warned that :Eeek:larger vehicles carrying children are banned from all French roads.....:Eeek:

All the Parisians who were not on holiday in July are heading south on Saturday, while their counterparts are heading north.

Be careful over there.....:thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The worst day of the year for drivers in France is Saturday 3 August. The Foreign Office has just warned that :Eeek:larger vehicles carrying children are banned from all French roads.....:Eeek:

All the Parisians who were not on holiday in July are heading south on Saturday, while their counterparts are heading north.

Be careful over there.....:thumb:

Will indeed be busy :-( but no mention of larger vehicles with children .

Link Removed

Go safely

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Will indeed be busy :-( but no mention of larger vehicles with children .

Link Removed

Go safely

It's HERE
Coaches and minibuses (with more than 9 seats including the driver) carrying groups of people mainly under the age of 18 will be prohibited from travelling around France on 3 August outside a zone comprising the département of departure and neighbouring départements.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Black Friday. When I was working it was a nightmare. Toll booths that took ages to get through. Route National like a race track. If it rained there was carnage everywhere. Best stay off the road altogether if you can.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
:whistle::whistle::whistle:...well here yesterday it was 38c in the shade and 26c after midnight...:RollEyes:......

LAST week end here in France they gave a RED ALERT all over France ... KEEP OFF THE ROADS IT SAID.. this weekend would be packed with traffic at all coastal routes and towns and villages...people would heading in all directions to the coast......Well to tell you the truth it was totaly empty....the roads EMPTY...at the coast we was at a odd trickle of cars less than normal....the motorway EMPTY....the toll booths just myself and a few Brits heading south in cars and caravans....the villages were like ghost towns :Eeek: and we travelled on Saturday.....I went shopping yesterday..... a steady flow of traffic not much more than normal..

Just booked my motorhome in for its second year service..it's now two year's old ( I had a service done at 1 year old)....300+ euros

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We were in France that weekend last year staying with friends, they advised us to stay and leave them on the monday, the A75 was still grim but nothing like the sat and sunday , they showed us film footage on the tv and the traffic was virtually stationary for hours at a time and not just on the Autoroute. Roll on retirement when we can take our time. Good luck to you and anyone else who has to travel at these times. If you can do the long bits either side of the weekend i would try.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Looking pretty busy at the moment.
E.G Montpelier on the webcam
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Looking pretty busy at the moment.
E.G Montpelier on the webcam
Broken Link Removed

Just checked a camera at random - 3am Saturday - on autoroute near Auxerre, and it was busier than the M25 during the day.......:Eeek:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
North Wales coast & A55 weren't much better last night.:whatthe:

(OK, I admit most of them weren't French speaking but in the congestion they were using words I'd never heard before:Blush:)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I AM HERE NOW .. At Tours.. :thumb:

yes, its busy.. Lots and lots of cars with kids, roofracks, bikes etce etc..
Had a small delay around the free bit of Motorway but as we are sticking to N roads not that bad so far. Passed over the toll motorways and it was at a standstill :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: " suckers"

After a 4 hour trip turned into 8 and a half on the way to Dover due to an accident on the M40 and traffic on the M25. this is nothing :winky:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Currently at calais.. haven driven up from Colmar area.
No probs and traffic good

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back