extending rod thingy to hold books on shelf (1 Viewer)

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Can anyone help? I googled what I wanted and got of all things a message from Motorhomefun on this subject but the site given was blocked by my Bullguard security.

We have an open fronted shelf that we like to keep books on but of course they mostly fall off onto the bed when travelling. I'm sure I've seen extending rods for shelves that would prevent this. I can find them for wardrobes but I just need a short one.

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
We use net curtain poles,you can cut them to any length reqd and they are cheap

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
June I bought one at the last show ...... now not just books land on top of me but the bloomin' rod as well. I might just be unlucky but for me it didn't work. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I hope you find what you want/need...

I had similar problems until I discovered the joy of (and perfect match with motorhoming) the Kindle and ebooks.

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of books...

...but no need of shelves or curtain rods...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use curtain wires you know the springy stuff with white plastic covering . works for me . been in the trailer for 13yrs . and it goes over some bumpy ground .
Link Removed
this stuff.
theres loads on ebay but i,m sure you can get it local.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I had similar problems until I discovered the joy of, and perfect match with motorhoming, the Kindle and ebooks.

And it frees up the cupboard keepers for use in the washroom where towels can be hung on them to dry after having a shower :Smile::thumb:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
rod thingy

I had similar problems until I discovered the joy of, and perfect match with motorhoming, the Kindle and ebooks.

I've toyed with the idea of a kindle but am too mean to pay for the books when I have access to hundreds of free paperbacks at our Bridge Club.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've toyed with the idea of a kindle but am too mean to pay for the books when I have access to hundreds of free paperbacks at our Bridge Club.

There are hundreds of free books which can be downloaded from the Kindle web site. I can't remember when I last paid for one :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
books are much nicer . there is a smell that goes with them . it changes with its owners . .also the feel ,the different paper etc all make the book more of the fantasy or tell a tale in them selves . i swap books regularly with foreigners . only english books . but they also bring books i would never have read .
i once bought 72 readers digest condensed books that 4 or 5 books in one for 2quid at the local dump. ideal . cant beat that for a bargain .
i think e readers and kindles are a bit clinical definately not like a book.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I call your hundreds of free paper backs and raise you a thousand plus free ebooks...:ROFLMAO:

PS. You don't even need to buy a Kindle machine... you can use your laptop... (although the Kindle is a brilliant piece of kit and is closer to the "book reading experience" than a lumpy laptop. Best of all get a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phablet and join the Geek Gang!)

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I call your hundreds of free paper backs and raise you a thousand plus free ebooks...:ROFLMAO:

PS. You don't even need to buy a Kindle machine... you can use your laptop... (although the Kindle is a brilliant piece of kit and is closer to the "book reading experience" than a lumpy laptop. Best of all get a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phablet and join the [HI]Geek Gang[/HI]!)
Is that the GG JJ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
books are much nicer . there is a smell that goes with them . it changes with its owners . .also the feel ,the different paper etc all make the book more of the fantasy or tell a tale in them selves . i swap books regularly with foreigners . only english books . but they also bring books i would never have read .
i once bought 72 readers digest condensed books that 4 or 5 books in one for 2quid at the local dump. ideal . cant beat that for a bargain .
i think e readers and kindles are a bit clinical definately not like a book.

I agree that books, especially old ones, are nice. I used to buy a lot when we ran the family history business and still have quite a few.

Kindle and other e-readers are definitely better for motorhome trips though, they don't half cut down on the payload :Smile:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
[HI]

[/HI]JJ :Cool:

PS. You don't even need to buy a Kindle machine... you can use your laptop... (although the Kindle is a brilliant piece of kit and is closer to the "book reading experience" than a lumpy laptop. Best of all get a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phablet and join the Geek Gang!)

Re first bit of this quote: STICK or do I mean TWIST? Or have I got the wrong card game?

While I'm writing this how do you clever people highlight bits of post you want to quote in yellow?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
[HI]

Re first bit of this quote: STICK or do I mean TWIST? Or have I got the wrong card game?

While I'm writing this how do you clever people highlight bits of post you want to quote in yellow?

You mean like [HI]this[/HI]? :ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]

While I'm writing this [HI]how do you clever people highlight bits of post you want to quote in yellow?[/HI]

Just like that :Smile:

Select the text you want to highlight (using left mouse button) then click on the yellow hl icon above.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
(You select the text you want to highlight and then press the yellow "H" button at the top of the panel you are writing in.)

Ah... Graham got there first...

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
June I bought one at the last show ...... now not just books land on top of me but the bloomin' rod as well. I might just be unlucky but for me it didn't work. :Doh:
Joy, you're not the only one ..... I bought one at Peterborough show and does exactly the same:Doh:
When I get a
images
I will make something that works!

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
practising yellow highlighting

[HI]
Just like that :Smile:

[HI]
[HI][/HI][HI][/HI][HI][/HI[HI][/HI]]Select the text you want to highlight (using left mouse button) then click on the yellow hl icon above.
[/HI]
[/HI]

It didn't work!

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
practising yelliow highlighting

[HI]

[/HI]
[/HI]

[HI][/HI]It didn't work!

Yes it did work but only after I'd submitted it. Thought it would go yellow straightaway

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I agree that books, especially old ones, are nice. I used to buy a lot when we ran the family history business and still have quite a few.

Kindle and other e-readers are definitely better for motorhome trips though, they don't half cut down on the payload :Smile:

come on now graham i could carry your van and still have payload left over . you have the wrong set up .hee hee .
i still havent finished the readers digest books as i carry lots of others as swappsies . i,m looking for more readers digest condensed books but they have to be almost free . they look nice as well. its like a mobile library .

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
yelloiw highlighting

Operator Error...

[HI][/HI]The text you want to highlight... when selected... must appear between the bracketed /H thingies...[HI][/HI]

I give up!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]come on now graham i could carry your van and still have payload left over . you have the wrong set up .hee hee . [/HI]
i still havent finished the readers digest books as i carry lots of others as swappsies . i,m looking for more readers digest condensed books but they have to be almost free . they look nice as well. its like a mobile library .

Yes, but we wanted a motorhome not an lorry - we know how dangerous commercial vehicles can be (Asda ones anyway) :roflmto:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Can anyone help? I googled what I wanted and got of all things a message from Motorhomefun on this subject but the site given was blocked by my Bullguard security.

We have an open fronted shelf that we like to keep books on but of course they mostly fall off onto the bed when travelling. I'm sure I've seen extending rods for shelves that would prevent this. I can find them for wardrobes but I just need a short one.

www.starspangeldspanner.co.uk

They should have them.
I got mind off EBay a few years ago about £9.00each

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What happens when I try to highlight something?

Let's see ......

[HI]
Ah - yes !
[/HI]

Point your cursor at the front of the bit of text you want to highlight. Hold your left mouse button (assuming it's a RH mouse, if it's a LH mouse, it will be the RH mouse button) and move mousey over all the text you want, then let go of the button. On your screen now, the selected text will be highlighted in bright blue. Then click the yellow [h/l] button with your RIGHT mouse button (or left if it's a LH mouse)

OR

put your cursor in front of the first word and type in the following, but without any spaces. [ H I ] then put your cursor at the end of what you want to highlight and type in [ / H I ] and [HI]this[/HI] happens.

OK ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Expanding net curtain rods/bars, like the ones in the below link, which come complete with the end fixings/pins which they slot on to, depending on which you get they either come with the plastic stick on ones or the right angle screw in ones (see photos 1 & 2):

Link Removed

I adapted one by cutting it down (as it was too long even when fully 'closed') to use as a retainer in my camper's upper kitchen cupboard to stop stuff jumping out at me using the screw in hooks ones as they can't come unstuck (see photo 3).

You can also get spring loaded curtain rods which are a bit heavier duty and are very easy to fit and remove (photos 4) - I used one of these to hang my 'bug and wind prevention' net curtain on to cover the side sliding door and we recently did a 6.5 week holiday but it didn't budge at all; the come in a variety of lengths so you should be able to find something that suits.

Attachments

• 1 - net rod with screw in hooks.jpg
    1 - net rod with screw in hooks.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 - net rod stick on hooks.jpg
    2 - net rod stick on hooks.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 3 - Cupboard bar.JPG
    3 - Cupboard bar.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 4 - net rod - sprung.jpg
    4 - net rod - sprung.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
yellow highlights

What happens when I try to highlight something?

Let's see ......

[HI]
Ah - yes !
[/HI]

Point your cursor at the front of the bit of text you want to highlight. Hold your left mouse button (assuming it's a RH mouse, if it's a LH mouse, it will be the RH mouse button) and move mousey over all the text you want, then let go of the button. [HI]On your screen now, the selected text will be highlighted in bright blue. Then click the yellow [h/l] button with your RIGHT mouse button (or left if it's a LH mouse)[/HI]
OR

(HI)put your cursor in front of the first word and type in the following, but without any spaces. [ H I ] then put your cursor at the end of what you want to highlight and type in [ / H I ] and [HI]this[/HI] happens.(/H)

OK ?

No! Aaaaagh I give up and what you wrote seemed so clear. Must be my computer programme.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
yello highlights

It seems to have worked after all. Thank you all so much.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back