Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I am thinking of fitting a 2nd hab battery in my hobby,i have a 75amp gel fitted at present and would like to know whether to fit 2 lead batterys or to just add a 2nd gel as the one fitted at present is just 1year old.I will be interested in your views. ps i allso have a 100amp solar panel.
Thank you. JohnM.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Both are perfectly good plans.

Though "gel" can bite you, if your chargers ( solar, mains, alternator ) are not configured for gel you won't get the best out of gel and it will probably die prematurely.

A pair of new wet batteries might be the best option.

Search on here for gel battery by Jaws - a good write up on his professional experience with gel cells.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am thinking of fitting a 2nd hab battery in my hobby,i have a 75amp gel fitted at present and would like to know whether to fit 2 lead batterys or to just add a 2nd gel as the one fitted at present is just 1year old.I will be interested in your views. ps i allso have a 100amp solar panel.
Thank you. JohnM.

This might depend on your charging system. I'd prefer lead acid to gel, as they are much cheaper, so you can have much more storage for the same price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I think they have to be the same type and one being a year should be OK if its still in good order, I put 2 lead acids in my Hobby and now leave the Genny at home:thumb:

In my last caravan I had an Optima US battery and I do wish I had gone for these again though, they charge much quicker and hold full power for longer, would recomend these if you can afford to buy them at £210 each on ebay
OPTIMA YTS5.5 HIGH PERFORMANCE BATTERY - OPTIMA YELLOW TOP BATTERY

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Blush: I lead-acid the same as one you don't add anything to please ... i.e. maintenance free?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
:Blush: I lead-acid the same as one you don't add anything to please ... i.e. maintenance free?

Maintenance-free are the ones the can't add water to, even when they need it. But they are basically the same. Maintenance free ones do have extra bits to cope with the produced gas, but have lower charge ratings as it can only cope with a bit of gas at a time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maintenance-free are the ones the can't add water to, even when they need it.

I had to buy one in a hurry ( the ferry was nearly leaving ) but I hate them, it's a way of selling more batteries in my opinion.

Good old inspection covers tell you a lot about what is going on. Acid goes down quickly and your charger could be faulty. A gently fizzing battery is a happy battery.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I had to buy one in a hurry ( the ferry was nearly leaving ) but I hate them, it's a way of selling more batteries in my opinion.

Good old inspection covers tell you a lot about what is going on. Acid goes down quickly and your charger could be faulty. A gently fizzing battery is a happy battery.

The problem with that Brian is having to remove both swivel seats to keep checking them.:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The problem with that Brian is having to remove both swivel seats to keep checking them.:Sad:

Ah. We just have a trap door in the floor. I can see the attraction of sealed for you. This sealed one is now over 2 years old but whether it will outlast the original German one that made it to 8 is debatable.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thank you. JohnM.

I have near enough the same van as you but mine came with 2 gel leisure batteries already installed, one under each seat. After a cock-up by the dealer who installed a solar regulator that would not work properly with gel batteries, I had them swapped for lead-acid. One bonus was that you could then get a 110Ah lead-acid battery to fit in the same space as the original 80Ah gel one. :thumb:

If you do decide to swap for lead-acid batteries, make sure they are vented (the vent tubes for mine go out through the same gap as the starter battery under the floor). Also that the battery charger and solar regulator are switched to lead-acid settings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back