Storing with gas bottles removed (1 Viewer)

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We currently store our m/h at a recognised Cassoa site which insists the gas bottles are removed. I wouldn't normally have an issue with this but I'm finding it difficult to lift them in/out. Am thinking of having a gas tank fitted. Obviously this means the gas bottles will not be stored on board ::bigsmile:

As this is a recognised safe way to fuel a vehicle I can't see how the storage site could have any objections. Especially as the tank would not be removable.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience of this. Obviously my next task is to ask them.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Mate
I personaly would find that a bind too, I would go for the underslung tank and NOT ask the question, the rules are, All Gas Bottles must be removed, you wont have any to remove:thumb: keep it simple and act daft it works for me every time:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Blimey with the engine LPG and domestic LPG plus the BBQ gas I must have nearer 500 litres on board.

Glad I'm not being asked to carry that around.

Next they will be asking you to drain your fuel tanks:Doh::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just a thought while the conversation is on external LPG Tanks.

What do you guys do when you use Eurostar/Ferries?

Do you empty the LPG tanks/Do they inspect them?

Last edited:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
My recollection is that Eurostar won't take you if LPG is the main fuel for the vehicle but don't worry about that used for heating and cooking. Illogical or what. I noted they put us in the last carriage on Eurostar - so they can leave you behind if trouble ensues :ROFLMAO: - they also asked us not to cook whilst travelling :ROFLMAO:
Ferries - they couldn't care less as long as it's turned off and never look anyway.
Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Domestic OK but switch off.

I wonder if Eurotunnel would ever know if you don't inform the DVLA about it being fueled by LPG?

Last edited:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We currently store our m/h at a recognised Cassoa site which insists the gas bottles are removed. I wouldn't normally have an issue with this but I'm finding it difficult to lift them in/out. Am thinking of having a gas tank fitted. Obviously this means the gas bottles will not be stored on board ::bigsmile:

As this is a recognised safe way to fuel a vehicle I can't see how the storage site could have any objections. Especially as the tank would not be removable.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience of this. Obviously my next task is to ask them.

Is this an indoor site? - I recall being asked the same for a site at Willingham near Cambridge when I said I had a fixed tank they didn't know how to deal with it.

At present we are on a CASSOA outdoor site with our latest van that has bottles and no mention has been made of removing them.
Keith

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
our storage site also says hat all gas bottles are to be removed, I am with geo on this a tank is not a bottle, even i know that and i am thick, so i wouldn't ask the question:Smile:

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Storing with gas bottles

Well I did ask them and they said that I can keep the bottles on board as the camper is stored outside. Removing the bottles was only required where the caravan/motorhome was stored inside.

So for now I will stick to bottles unless my usage increases to make a tank installation or gaslow installation worthwhile.

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp

I wonder if Eurotunnel would ever know if you don't inform the DVLA about it being fueled by LPG?
All LPG powered vehicles have to have the fact clearly indicated, by law, normally by a disc on the windscreen. Eurostar do inspect vehciles and the gas filler connection (which must be on the external body of the vehicle) would be a bit of a giveaway.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
As long as the lpg tank is for domestic use only it is ok on Eurostar but it has to be turned OFF and be no more than 80% full.

I recall a capacity limit as well, but maybe they have dropped that restriction

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Hi John
You may have insurance problems if you do that. Lets say you had a bad accident (Touch Wood You Dont) and LPG was an issue. If you havent declared it your insurance may be invalid

Jim :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Considering the recent fire in the tunnel I don't think I'd like to take a primed bomb on board. whether they check or not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can understand the tunnel being careful about gas, but also as part of the fire regulations they won't let you use your own toilet:Eeek: I realise my high fibre diet contributes to my chronic flatulence but I don't know how the tunnel people know about it:Blush:
The toilets on the train are cleaned daily (I believe it is a day in April) so are not a very attractive proposition at most times:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back