Since 2007
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi, its not only the diameter and tyre size you need to think of with wheels. you need the number of studs and the hole centres also, not to mention that some wheels have different angles on the wheel nut seat. so check and double check if they are not listed as direct replacements for your wheel hubs.:thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You will need to know what your base vehicle is Fiat or Merc or ford cos only they will fit. the holes are set different some are 5 stud an some are 6 stud, you need to be aware of this.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unless someone knows what your stud /bolt pcd is ,i would say they cant tell you .
there are loads of stud spacings .
are you on 5stud or 6 stud to start with ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
also it depends on the wheel offset.

looking from the front or rear of the wheel its the distance the studholes are from the centreline of the wheel.
too much and the wheel with rub on the suspension....not enough and the wheel could rub on the wheel arch.

then of course, theres the shape of the wheel....will the brake disc and caliper fit inside it or will the caliper foul the wheel.

far to many variables to make a guess.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why not wire brush the wheels with a twisted wire brush . then give a coat of hammerite them while its still wet spray with a an aerosol with steel wheels silver ,makes even old crappy wheels look nice again . then have new tyres and valves all posh again .
spray can of silver hammerite is best .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
also it depends on the wheel offset.

looking from the front or rear of the wheel its the distance the studholes are from the centreline of the wheel.
too much and the wheel with rub on the suspension....not enough and the wheel could rub on the wheel arch.

then of course, theres the shape of the wheel....will the brake disc and caliper fit inside it or will the caliper foul the wheel.

far to many variables to make a guess.

John:winky: this has now almost universally been adopted and excepted as Round:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The tyres on my mh are 215/75/16 attached to steel wheels that need either to be refurbished or renewed.

I have found this advert on Gumtree - which I think are a bargain if they will fit. The owner says the tyres that came off were 215/65/16

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/landrover-steel-rims-from-2001-freelander/1026854300

Will they fit?

Can anyone tell me?

Norman

They'll probably fit the tyres, but not the vehicles. You need a match for:
1. Diameter of wheel
2. Depth of rim (tyre manufacturers will publish an allowed range)
3. Number of holes
4. Diameter of holes
5. Nut bolt seating angle (can also replace bolts/nuts to match)
6. Maximum load capacity
7. Maximum allowed tyre pressure
8. Hub/bolt centring (hub centring common on dual rear wheel - DRW)
9. Hub hole size (must be exact for hub centring, or at least required size for bolt centring).
10. Offset (how deeply set into the wheel the bolt flange.

Cars often have the flange right on the outer edge when no wheel covers are intended. SRW commercials often have flanges in the middle which makes them stronger and cheaper. DRW commercials have flanges well outside the hub edge, so two wheels can be bolted back to back without the tyres rubbing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John:winky: this has now almost universally been adopted and excepted as Round:thumb:
Now you know that aint the case Goe.....and you a mechanic too. :ROFLMAO:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_OdXF1cDfc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_OdXF1cDfc[/ame]

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks guys I'm almost sorry I asked. It seems from all the great advice received the best solution would be either a refurb or as suggested I wire brush them and spray with hammerite silver paint. Even if not a great job this will look better than they do at present.

Once again guys thanks for all you help. I will soon have the Beast looking as good as new.

Norman

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
why not wire brush the wheels with a twisted wire brush . [HI]then give a coat of hammerite[/HI] them while its still wet spray with a an aerosol with steel wheels silver ,makes even old crappy wheels look nice again . then have new tyres and valves all posh again .
spray can of silver hammerite is best .

Is this the silver hammerite?

The second spray is steel wheels silver - is this hammerite too?

Many thanks

Norman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is this the silver hammerite?

The second spray is steel wheels silver - is this hammerite too?

Many thanks

Norman

if you use hammerite then use the smooth stuff....nowt looks worse than dimpled wheels.

and after rubbing down give them a coat of hammerite primer/undercoat to provide a proper key.
hammerite is different to ordinary car paint...its a form of enamel...so spraying wheel silver while the hammerite is still wet will possibly cause a reaction.
never tried it but logic says dont mix different paint.

once hammerite is completely cured, approx 24hrs, it can be overpainted with any paint.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .yes silver hammerite .
2nd look in a good accessory shop they will sell something like hycote spraypaint ,,wheel paint silver .
this makes them look a sort of factory finish . not as glarey as aluminum spray paint .
with a bit of care you can make them look like new . put some nut covers on or dayglo check it arrows . ask in the accessory shop . you have to know your wheelnut size

pappa thats why i say spray the silver on while the hammerite is still wet .it smooths it out a treat .
give it a try learn something new. it works honest.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back