JSH

Free Member
Dec 17, 2012
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We're new motorhomers having bought our first van in December. We have had plenty of weekends away this year but had always planned a trip to France over the summer.

I have taken the plunge today and booked the Eurotunnel for Monday 19th August returning 12 days later on the Friday. If feel a bit overwhelmed with the choice if I'm honest.

I fancy the Dordogne and woul really appreciate some recommendations and ideas for the uninitiated.

Thanks in advance
John

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Have you bought the aires book it's worth ever penny
We went down for 2 weeks last year it's a great area
We spoilt it by tring to do everthing in a rush
Find somewhere you want to go and if you like it stay for a few days
We just rushed everywhere with little time to enjoy it
When we go back it will be to about 3 sites over 2 or 3 weeks

Don't try to do too much and you will enjoy it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As It's August my suggestion would be stay away from the coast...
It can get very busy on some aires and campsites as like here all the kids are off..

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
10-12 Promenade de la Vézère, 24620 Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil, France

And if anybody is interested brill place to stay and visit all historic sites in area

And st emillon is well worth a visit with a Aries just 2 min walk into town

OP
OP
JSH

JSH

Free Member
Dec 17, 2012
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm the OP and I just Googled and bought it from the publisher - vicarious Books for £22 delivered

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Have a look at some of the Municipal sites as well.

They are clean and reasonably priced.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have a look at some of the Municipal sites as well.

They are clean and reasonably priced.
Something that you dont hear of very often on here. We always try to stay on Municipals in France. They are normally very good.
Why is it that people prefer Aires to Municipals on here?.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Something that you dont hear of very often on here. We always try to stay on Municipals in France. They are normally very good.
Why is it that people prefer Aires to Municipals on here?.

Could be because they are often free or very cheap?????

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do like aires but only because of their convenience and proximity to towns.

I honestly like nothing else about them.

A municipal offers all of that at often a very small additional cost.

And you can set a table and chairs up:thumb:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I Like aires also because of the price,be careful in this years book of out of date information,anything with 2012 information is probably good,we found 2 sites in st jean de monts were not aires anymore,but plenty of others in that area.Ex campsites may give you a better aire at a reasonable price,for instance st denis d'oleron 9 euros per night great base for exploring the top of the island by bike or walking,les huttes beach is worth a visit and st laurent sur gorre 6 euros(very clean site with shady pitches beside 2 lakes),were good value when we stayed there this month.Plenty of other aires info on this site,good information to plan your trip with.

OP
OP
JSH

JSH

Free Member
Dec 17, 2012
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks all. It's our main holiday this year so I am not too concerned about the cost (within reason). For peace of mind I need a loose plan and to pre book the first couple of nights I think. I'll start looking at the map and distances

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are going over in August (11th) and our first choice was to spend a couple of weeks down the eastern border, along the Loire and up the west coast. Well, we had to rearrange our trip and that gives us less time initially.
But Peter and Elaine's suggestion ( thankyou) has inspired us to go down to the Dordogne instead
We have a late crossing so our first night stop will be Fort Mahon Plage. There is a huge aire almost on the beach. Then crossing the Loire at Saumur and onto the area around Bergerac
We have no plans where to stay after Fort Mahon, probably aires but we don't mind wild camping or Municiples. It's always nice to have a somewhere to put your feet up and awning out for a couple of days.
Then back up to Calais to meet our Daughter and a tour of some of the WW2 cemeteries and museums around Dunkerque
Not long now!
Allan

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
All I can add is ...don't rush, take your time and as Peter has already said don't try to fit all France in one trip...France is a lot bigger than what you think....Aires , Municipal sites are all very good....it all depends on what are your requirements..if you have children then municipal and private campsites may be the better option....BUT if you are coming to France in the busy season back end of July and August...campsites may be on the full side with the children being off school...now on the other hand the Aires may be less busy.....:RollEyes:
If you are a camper that need showers,toilets and electric hookup.(not using your onboard facilities) then campsites may be your best bet...if you are self sufficient then try a few Aires you may even like them..:thumb:
Don't forget on Aires you are not supposed to put up awnings, Deck chairs and tables, or BBQ( although a lot do at the front or back of the van) and on Aires you may well be very close to you next motorhome...just enough to open your habitation door and walk down the side of the van..(not on all aires) but saying that, some of the best places are Aires...Enjoy your Holiday

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
All I can add is ...don't rush, take your time and as Peter has already said don't try to fit all France in one trip...France is a lot bigger than what you think...

Absolutely right - you have limited time, so take it easy

..BUT if you are coming to France in the busy season back end of July and August...campsites may be on the full side with the children being off school.

This applies particularly to coastal sites, you'll find more space inland

Don't forget on Aires you are not supposed to put up awnings, Deck chairs and tables, or BBQ( although a lot do at the front or back of the van) and on Aires you may well be very close to you next motorhome...just enough to open your habitation door and walk down the side of the van..(not on all aires) but saying that, some of the best places are Aires...

We stopped on one aire where we literally had to ask a campervan to take their weashing line (fixed to their window) in to give us space to park. That (plus one or two similar situations rather put us off aires, which is why our site has plenty of space for everyone.

Enjoy your Holiday

Absolutely - France is a beautiful country, and there is so much to see. Don't rush it

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we usually do a mix of aires and municipals aires in larger towns tend to be just a carpark or spaces in the localrail or coach park
aires in the countryside can be beautiful riversides lakesides and wild mountain sides we tend to do two days on aires then one on a site to fill and empty but would stay on a site if we wanted to explore for a couple of days
france is huge and compared to england sparsely populated so as said take your time

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If the OP is heading specifically for the Dordogne, try (all with aires unless otherwise stated):

Sarlat la Caneda - quaint old town either side of modern main street
La Roque Gageac - river walks, boat rides. kayak hire
Beynac et Cazenac, and Castellnaud la Chappelle for impressive chateaus with commanding views - overnight MH parking tolerated nearby
Roque Saint Christophe - medieval troglodyte village in the cliff face, overnight MH parking allowed
Les Eyzies de Tayac Sirieul - national prehistory museum and a visitor centre called PIP, cave sites within walking/cycling distance, including Font de Gaume with polychrome cave art. Abri Pataud (in the village) is also worth a look.
Rouffignac - impressive cave system with line drawings of mammoths and other beasts, and cave bear dens, Not sure about overnight parking but plenty of space for MH.
Lascaux II - haven't been for a few years but this is a reconstruction of the original Lascaux caves with cave art, whereas the previous two I've mentioned are the real deal. Daytime parking only, as far as I know.

If you're wanting suggestions for further afield I'd personally go for Charente-Maritime (coast above Bordeaux), including Ile de Re, Ile d'Oleron, La Rochelle, La Palmyre, Parc Puy du Fou, all with aires available. Plenty of variety to be had in and around those places - the islands are particularly good if you don't mind cycling.

I should add that while aire guides in book form have their uses, you should consider downloading CCI's free POI file if you have a SatNav, and also find some POIs for the main French supermarket chains like Carrefour, LeClerc, Auchan, Intermarche, and Super-U, not least for their much cheaper fuel.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back