Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I don't own one. You are stuck with Amazon for your Apps - will have to pay an extra £10 to avoid the onscreen ads.

Good quality display, but personally would choose either the iPad (at a premium price) or a good Android based one for more versatility for your Apps.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a regular kindle fire......wont buy another when this one fails.

the keyboard is too fiddly and needs a stylus...unless you have pointy fingers....to insert a decimal point in a number you need to change keyboard from numeric to letters then back again.

predictive text, which i cant figure how to turn off, adds new word to existing....ie: existing word = 'New'. next word = 'text'. predictive shows as 'new newtext' unless it cant find a suitable word then it inserts any old rubbish.

touch screen is too temperamental and slow to respond.

wont stream video that needs flash player...kindle doesnt support flash player and their own experimental version is still not up to speed..

O/S is too slow.

restricted to Amazon apps only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Won't have anything with the overpriced apple logo on it!! :Cool:

Not too bothered about apps as our main lappies do all we want.

Our thinking is we can sit back, read a book, drop onto skype or read the forum, small enough to carry round to show photos to folks..ohh and I can put a google translate on it when my French is not good enough (which is often) and these seem pretty good at the price.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our thinking is we can sit back, read a book, drop onto skype or read the forum, small enough to carry round to show photos to folks..ohh and I can put a google translate on it when my French is not good enough (which is often) and these seem pretty good at the price.:thumb:

You aren't listening !

Why did you not ask "I am going to buy a Kindle Fire so will someone tell me it is the best decision I've ever made".

Plain Android - then locked into no-one.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...vs-ipad-mini-vs-kindle-fire-hd-7-inch-1168371

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Won't have anything with the overpriced apple logo on it!! :Cool:

Not too bothered about apps as our main lappies do all we want.

dont blame you Ken.

young kid decided to see if stepdaughters 4 week old MAC lappy was immune to cola.

can only get repaired by MAC to maintain guarantee......£595 for repair....or £900 for a new one.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You aren't listening !

Why did you not ask "I am going to buy a Kindle Fire so will someone tell me it is the best decision I've ever made".

Plain Android - then locked into no-one.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...vs-ipad-mini-vs-kindle-fire-hd-7-inch-1168371

I AM listening Brian BUT I reserve the right to make my decision having weighed up ALL the comments. Er indoors says stick to the Kindle as MY first choice was a top of the range Asus hybrid with the new i7 Haswell chip!!! around £1900 :Eeek:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009

ALL of the Android models will do that as well - with free Apps.

Steve

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Also I have to say I have the 3g Kindle which has proved invaluable when touring as I can connect to the web almost anywhere. Yes clunky at times but I can read my e mails and check my bank etc so perhaps I am a tad biased. Yes I know the hd does not have 3g. :Smile:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The problem with the Kindles are that they use an emasculated version of Android which is tied in to Amazon. And, as others have said, you are stuck with buying your apps from Amazon, rather the much more widely used Play Store. Depends what you want to use it for. If all you want is a book reader then go for it. If you want more, such as emails, web browsing, etc. then you are better off with a "real" Android tablet or an iPad, and then add Amazon's free Kindle app.

I have an Asus tf300 Android Tablet. It comes with a separate attachable keyboard with its own battery to help boost the on-board battery. I am very pleased with it, as I can now use it as both a tablet and a small netbook. Works so well that i do not take my laptop out at all, whether away on business or pleasure. It is that good I use it to give full day powerpoint presentations.

My wife, who is a technophobe, has an iPad, which she absolutely loves. And I must say it is a great consumer product, as long as you can put up with working the Apple way. Nowhere near as flexible and adaptable as my Android product.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Having read the response to this thread (thanks to all) and having done some research we are now leaning towards the nexus 7.2. At £240 in PC World it looks a far better buy. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having read the response to this thread (thanks to all) and having done some research we are now leaning towards the nexus 7.2. At £240 in PC World it looks a far better buy. ::bigsmile:

Now you're talking. Though that price seems on the high side. Looking on PCW now it looks like £189 old one, £199 new one, right now.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yep the £199 is the 16 gig Brian I am looking at the 32gig. See I WAS listening he he. :ROFLMAO:

Gotcha.

I how it's heresy to say this but I reckon the screen is too high res. That resolution is greater than 42" TVs. Does this matter you may say, well it does because every one of those pixels needs feeding with data which means a good bit of the extra computing power is used up scaling and feeding the screen to a resolution you don't really need. Not much you can do about it. Unless you want to save £50 buying the previous model, probably more once 7.2 is delivering.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back