The wee beasties ! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Up here on the Isle of Lewis.............

The wee bl#%dy beasties are NOT wee beasties at all ..............

They are Man Eating Vampires !!!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
No little beasties to bother us tonight, there's a nice little breeze coming off the water.........so they've got no chance of landing on you:thumb:
However, they will still come in the windows
and the back door when I open it. The hoover is the only way to deal with them......grrrrr:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:shout:

We are / were on our way to the Western Isles next week, I keep an eye on Midge Forecast, hopefully the link here will work. This suggests things should not be too bad there right now, I don't recommend the Glen Coe area at the moment, or most of central west Scotland by the look of this

http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/home

May have to rethink our destination, or pray for rain, gales or apparently hot sun! All of which keeps them on the ground (allegedly)

I hope things improve for you

David

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well we survived last night by closing every vent and every blind. There were millions of the little darlings outside holding us under siege! At least now the breeze has returned and we can open doors and windows again.

We have been here in the Hebrides for 3 weeks now and in all that time no surfing and had to put sun cream on every day!

At least we managed to catch fish for the FIRST time (4 big fat mackerel) ::bigsmile:

I have to keep these posts brief as typing on this phablet is a real PITA :Eeek:

On the up side, the Outer Hebrides are stunningly beautiful and fantastic for wild camping.

Off to the east side of Lewis now.

Tara :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Up here on the Isle of Lewis.............

[HI]The wee bl#%dy beasties are NOT wee beasties at all ..............[/HI]

[HI]They are Man Eating Vampires [/HI]!!!
Anyone travelling north in such conditions should be sectioned.:roflmto:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
[

We have been here in the Hebrides for 3 weeks now and in all that time no surfing and had to put sun cream on every day!

Tara :Smile:[/QUOTE]

Have you had midges all the time?? Bless your resilience if you have

David

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Scotland's beauty, its stunning unspoilt landscape, long lonely glens, miles and miles of empty beaches, holding just 10% of the UK's population ....
.....we owe so much to the humble midge!! :roflmto:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Well we survived last night by closing every vent and every blind. There were millions of the little darlings outside holding us under siege! At least now the breeze has returned and we can open doors and windows again.

At least we managed to catch fish for the FIRST time (4 big fat mackerel) ::bigsmile:

I have to keep these posts brief as typing on this phablet is a real PITA :Eeek:

On the up side, the Outer Hebrides are stunningly beautiful and fantastic for wild camping.

[HI][HI]Off to the east side of Lewis [/HI][/HI]now.

Check out Tolsta Beach.......Go past the first beach where the toilets are, a half mile on is Tolsta beach !!! Look out for a local wearing a leather hat !! say hello !! his name is Roy !! Nice guy !

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We never bother with "midge forecasts", because you can tell whether it's going to be bad or not by the weather conditions where you are situated. They're at their worst in still, calm conditions.
As pappajohn so rightly said earlier, if there is enough of a breeze blowing you will be fine. The midges' landing gear is not designed to cope with winds in any way.........thankfully:thumb:

We're in the south of Scotland and it's slightly breezy today, but it's only in the evening that midges might bother us in the garden. I'm never around in the early part of the morning thankfully:roflmto:

All this talk about Scotland's midges, but we found the mozzies in Brittany more of a problem when we were there years back. They were far worse than midges:RollEyes:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The last time we were in Scotland, I looked out the window and saw a Midge go by with a goat in it's claws:Sad:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
[

Have you had midges all the time?? Bless your resilience if you have

David[/QUOTE]

Luckily only the midges and the horse flies (!) For about 5 days

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
We had a month in the Outer Hebrides until the first week in July, and were virtually midge-free until the last evening on South Uist, so to enjoy the islands at their best, it's best to pick your time wisely if the midges present a problem. (I recall packing up at 1 am in the moring at Loch Maree last year, when reluctantly I had to admit defeat!!) :Sad:
One thing worth remembering is that most insect/mosquito screens are not good enough to keep the little blighters out. They can easily penetrate the mesh if it's under 400 holes/sq.inch. Following our Loch Maree experience I made my own screen on a light flexible frame (which lives beneath a mattress until needed) that simply bends and springs into the window frame. So when it gets hot we can have the windows open and the screen (at 3,000 holes/sq.inch) keeps them out. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back