Cigarette Lighter plug OR Hella plug (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a bit confused, what is the purpose of the HELLA , what does it do that a cigar lighter doesn't?? what is it used for?
These plugs are both 12 volt but the Hella single pole plug voltage range is normally 6-24 volts and copes with more amperage, I have a 'Berker' manufactuer Hella single pole socket fitted near the door so this can be used to power up a 12 volt device outside the van?? but most 12 volt appliances ie; kettles, phone charger's, TV, would come supplied with the Cigar type plugs
I need to fit another 12 volt outlet inside the MH for the TV, should I use a Hella single pole plug and change the rest of the Cigar plug device's to Hella thus keeping the 12 volt connection system the same throughout the MH ....

PS. the Cab 12 volt cigar power supply stays as original for sat nav, phone,etc

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm a bit confused, what is the purpose of the HELLA , what does it do that a cigar lighter doesn't?? what is it used for?
These plugs are both 12 volt but the Hella single pole plug voltage range is normally 6-24 volts and copes with more amperage, I have a 'Berker' manufactuer Hella single pole socket fitted near the door so this can be used to power up a 12 volt device outside the van?? but most 12 volt appliances ie; kettles, phone charger's, TV, would come supplied with the Cigar type plugs
I need to fit another 12 volt outlet inside the MH for the TV, should I use a Hella single pole plug and change the rest of the Cigar plug device's to Hella thus keeping the 12 volt connection system the same throughout the MH ....

PS. the Cab 12 volt cigar power supply stays as original for sat nav, phone,etc

You can get plugs that fit both, mostly they are red at the end of the cig plug and the red bit takes off and it will then fit the other sort. Hardly any difference in price

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm a bit confused, what is the purpose of the HELLA , what does it do that a cigar lighter doesn't??

I imagine it is more reliable. The cigarette lighter was never really intended to be an electrical socket. It has poor contact, is too large and is easily tugged out or gives intermittent contact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The Hella is a more robust design and will take more amperage. All my sockets are the Hella type other than the dash which is only used for the sat nav. The fridge in the garage is on a Hella and that does get warm after a long run, so if it was on a cigarette socket it would melt.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Like Dave, all our 12v sockets are Hella apart from the two in the cab.

I already had a couple of multi-socket adapters (one of which has USB sockets as well) from our previous van so bought a couple of Hella plugs on eBay and changed them. The adapters plug into the van sockets and the various chargers plug into the adapters.

A similar solution can be used where the 12v sockets are of the Clipsal or W4 two pin varieties. The main thing, as always, is to ensure that the circuit is not overloaded.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The 1987 Hymer 660S has both...

Belt and braces.

Sound thinking.

JJ :Cool:

Compass avantgarde got all three cig at the front , hella outside, two pin in the rear area, belt braces and suspenders :Doh:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi Have you tried your puncture repair kit ,supplied by Rapido.I have a spare wheel but the plug on the pump fits the Hella socket which i use when checking presure in my tyres.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hella is far superior to a normal fag lighter plug and socket.

When inserted the plug is positively latched......unlike the other type which relies on friction of the negative (-) side plates to keep the plug in.
On those, the spring loaded positive centre pin can push the plug out and cause a poor positive connection which could cause overheating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Cigarette lighter socket mechanically and electrically complete cr&p!

About good for 0.3 Amp!

Hella socket designed by engineers. Good for 16A without molten plastic or fire.

:--)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back