Onboard weighbridge ? (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I would have thought it not difficult in this technological age for a company to come up with a retro fit product than can be installed between the axles and body to ascertain the weight bearing down on the axle at any given moment.The readings could be read in the cab with the axle and wheels weight already in the reading to give the gross axle weight.We can get tyre and air suspension read outs so why no weight ?
The axle weights are the weak link and normally top out before the max vehicle weight is achieved despite judicious positioning of items onboard.
I would be interested in purchasing such a product and save my trips to the weighbridges and always know I am legal.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can see the appeal but as the vast majority of motorhome owners never weigh their vans the demand would be extremely low for such a device....and a corresponding prohibitive price.

and i must disagree re axles are weak link....if you exceed your axle weights you've already exceeded your gross weight by a considerable amount

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its around .some of the sewage tankers i used to drive had them . they were very accurate as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Local Weighbridge costs £5 :cry:

Why worry about costs just take cert with you each trip Abroad.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Errr, No thanks, I don't want one. I have enough to worry about :Blush:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
i had one fitted on one of my tippers fifteen years ago, cost about £800 second hand then. Payed for itself because we could always load to max gross weight. Not worth it on a motorhome. Once you have loaded it and checked its legal nothing much to worry about. BUSBY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks,I guess I will stick to the weighbridges ,its a shame there is nothing cheap-ish out there that would be transferable to future vans.
I have emailed Axtec for a price out of curiosity.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is a thing that weighs farm trailers or what you have on a loader, which is just a pressure gauge in the hydraulic lines , you just lift your trailer a bit and read off the pressure then it is calibrated to show weight, don't know how it would work on a van but reckon you could have some sort of ram at each corner, and check the pressure in them. Not for one minute am I suggesting it would work just showing the idea, if you have air suspension suppose you could combine the two :Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
There is a cheap weigh machine on the market and has been for some time - the major problem is it only weighs up to 1000kg. It is used by putting each wheel in turn on the weigh pad and then pressing the relevant button on the weigh pad and it adds all the weights together and gives you axle and total you can see it here

Link Removed

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There is a cheap weigh machine on the market and has been for some time - the major problem is it only weighs up to 1000kg. It is used by putting each wheel in turn on the weigh pad and then pressing the relevant button on the weigh pad and it adds all the weights together and gives you axle and total you can see it here

Link Removed

There is another model of this which will weigh up to 1500Kg.....

I have one but it's much easier to just go to a weighbridge.:Doh:

They do have the advantage of weighing each wheel rather than the whole axle so you are able to balance your m/h side to side.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
also adding more weight to the vehicle so lowering your payload .
so the worrying gets worse.
buy a truck have loads of space and payload . much better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back